Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre Op diet- a Top to Bottom Affair

When my Nutritionist told me it was time to begin the 21 day pre Op Bariatric diet, I did not think much other then this was getting me closer to my surgery date. No one told me that those Liquid Protein Bullets and Shots tasted like the something from Planet MARS. I quickly learned to hold my nose and downed them, followed by a flavored water, so not to taste that nasty bullet.:w00t: Three days into this, the "brain extracting" headache fell upon me. Oh my and nothing releived it! :) After three days, it passed and the south end of the digestive track was having issues.Another thing no one warned me about.:tt2: Oh and by the way, I was told this south end issue will last for about 8 weeks since nothing solid is going in.:) I believe I have been so focused on the headache and south end issue that I did not realize I am into day 12 already and I only have 9 more days to go before my surgery date on March 25th.:thumbup: If I can do this, anyone can! It may be tough in the beginning but remember the reward in the end and that is priceless.:cool2:

I know this time will be difficult but you will get through it before you know it. I never thought the Protein Shakes were bad, but I discovered a way to add some flavor and I love it. I usually mix the Protein Powder with Water and a dash of milk for the creaminess but when I was out of milk I threw in some of my coconut coffee creamer and it was SOOOOOO good. If you do that be careful as there is sugar in the product so just be careful. (or by sugar free)

Hope all goes well for you.

Oh my goodness!!! I have SO many questions now! I'm being banded June 30th. I know I have to start my diet June 11th. Please tell me all the things you are going through so I don't walk into this blindly. I have 3 months to look at all of this...and I'm trying to gradually wade into the pool. Right now one meal a day is a Protein drink...by mid-April 2 Protein Shakes and 1 meal...and then by June I hope to be over it? Let me know if I'm totally off my rocker...otherwise I'm afraid I will continue the goodwill tour of the worst things I could possibly put in my mouth until June. :)

Thats a great idea Baylor, you will deff. kick start your metabolism that way. My only piece of advice it to be cautious not to get tired of the protien shakes early on, B/C once that is all you can have, you prob. won't like them any more. I have had to chage brands a few times, B/C I started to get nautious from the same taste over and over.

Oh my goodness!!! I have SO many questions now! I'm being banded June 30th. I know I have to start my diet June 11th. Please tell me all the things you are going through so I don't walk into this blindly. I have 3 months to look at all of this...and I'm trying to gradually wade into the pool. Right now one meal a day is a Protein drink...by mid-April 2 Protein Shakes and 1 meal...and then by June I hope to be over it? Let me know if I'm totally off my rocker...otherwise I'm afraid I will continue the goodwill tour of the worst things I could possibly put in my mouth until June. :)

Hey baylorjai, the best advice is to find a Protein Shake or bullet that you like, because you are going to be on them for awhile.:) What you are doing now is wise, everyone should prepare in such a manner.:) I am into day 12 of my strictly liquid, pre Op diet and I have learned that I should have searched out the taste of a Protein liquid that I liked. I bought 7 cases on line so I am going to use them as I hold my nose and down them....yuck I am never hungry so that's a great thing. There are no more surprises you will encounter other than those I listed above. Good luck and keep in touch. Lighterload:smile:

Hi. I'm sorry you are having so many problems on your pre-op diet. I hope it gets better for you. For those not on their pre-op diet yet, not everyone has problems - I didn't (certainly not saying it was easy or that I loved it:). I had to have a Protein Shake for Breakfast and lunch and then lean meat and vegetables for dinner. Never had to have bullets or shots. I didn't have headaches or any issues down south. I still have to have a Protein shake every day for breakfast (doctor's orders). I've used Atkins Advantage shakes since I started my pre-op diet. I think they are good, although I'm sure not everyone would agree. Again, Lighterload - your surgery is coming up soon - I wish you all the luck in the world. It sounds like you are staying focused on why you are doing this. Keep up the good work and take good care of yourself!!!! Becky

Check with your doc or nutritionist and see how if you can eat unlimited veggies. mine told me i could and i tell you what, i never knew how many ways you can make a dang salad!!! Good lick!! :)

I'm on the max Protein one that's vanilla, chocolate and Cookies and cream it's pretty good as far as the others i've tried I didn't like the advantedge strawberry one it was just to thin but i like mixing them with other juices

as for the liquid coming out I called the nurse at my surgeons office she told me to buy knox gelaton and mix it with 1/4 cup warm Water (mix really well) and then drink it and that should help I just did it a few minutes ago it was horrid to drink so it better help the other part other than that I'm taking immodium too because at work it's impossible to get away long enough besides I have so much gas and it is amplified in the bathroom it's just embarassing so I don't wanna go there! I know it's a natural thing but what's happening to me is not natural (I'll leave it at that)

I ordered some free samples from Proteinex online from the actual manuf. they are pre-digested Protein haven't tried them yet but they are only 2 table spoons and have 18 grams so i figure i'll save them till after the surgery when I really don't wanna drink alot I can at least get those down and not the whole think Protein shakes that i'm drinking now at least for awhile. but we'll see good luck to you all I'm on day 7 of 14 for my diet and this is really hard i'm hoping to just make it through the next day living day to day and trying not to think about how hungry you are or your stomach rumbling (not from hunger) is just getting old.....:)

I am on my last day of the pre-op diet (yay), so trust me, it gets a lot easier.

Day one for me was wretched. I had a splitting headache and was starving - trying to survive with SF Jello, apple sauce, SF pops, green veggies, and so on. Nothing I ate made me feel any less hungry.

Day two was better and by day three I felt human again. Aside from watching someone eat something I like, I really am not very hungry, nor have I had many cravings. I now have to force myself to drink my shakes or get a yogurt in. I did, however, have insane diarrhea the first few days. I remembered my nutritionist telling me that a lot of people are lactose intolerant and never know it if they're not big milk drinkers. I tolerate cheese okay, but apparently not milk. I switched to Lactaid milk the last few days and I have been fine ever since! Something to think about...

As for the Protein drinks, my nutritionist told me to drink Carnation Instant Breakfast for the pre-op diet because it's really low in fat, sugar, calories, and carbs. I tried a few other kinds, but to tell you the truth, I like the CIB a thousand times more than the few other shakes I have tried. The chocolate and strawberry are great mixed with milk. Also, I find that the powder tastes a lot better than the pre-made shakes.

I'm sure I'll be itching to try something new fairly soon, but I'll definitely keep the CIB around.

Good luck with your diet...you will get through it (with a great weight loss by the way!)

I am in day 5 of my ten day pre op diet. It is interesting that some people are able to eat lean meat and veggies, while others of us are on pretty much all liquid/yogurt/sf jello/sf popcicles....I think I would give my right arm for a chicken breast about now. LOL I just wanna chew something, I think. I am really not that hungry as I love the Atkins shakes - all of the flavors are good, I think. They have them at Sams Club the cheapest.

I am new to the group -- can't wait to get to know everyone and hear how everyone is doing!!