Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Attending a Seminar, then what?

I have signed up to attend a seminar after researching options and many failed diets. Now I am curious about what to expect after the seminar and what kind of time frame I may be looking at until the surgery.

Any insight is appreciated.

TIA :confused:

seminar is obviously the first step. There you are practically informed about what the surgery is, some statistics and what are the requirements.

Once you have done your seminar (make sure you sign the sign in sheet). You can place an appointment with one of the surgeons/nurses then, they will do a history on you and make sure you are ok for surgery (warning if you are skinny, you will not get past this point). Depending on your insurance you might have to provide evidence that you have at least attempted to diet and if possible other reasons as to why you need it.

In my case, it took me exactly 6 months. I have blue cross blue shield and they required 6 month weight history from either a nutritionist or your general doctor. During those six months you can take care of all the other requirements. One being a psychological letter from a psych practically stating you are of well mind for the surgery and not a nut job. My general doctor also had me do sleep study test which diagnosed me with sleep apnea, and I was diagnosed with hyper tension as well. Both caused by my obesity and even more push to do the surgery.

Once my 6 months were thru, I was able to make an appointment with my Dr. I made sure all my paperwork was done and waited for pre approval from my insurance. two weeks prior to the surgery I was told to start a street liquid diet, which I followed thanks to monkey scaring the beejesus out of me with her story.

1 week prior to surgery I was sent for pre admission where I was questioned by a nurse my history once more, saw the anesthesiaologist, had blood work done and had some xrays done (chest and esphagos).

Surgery date, all went smoothly and here I am now.

It seems like alot but time flies like nothing. Just make sure you have your paperwork up to date at all times, it is easy to lose track of appointments with time flying so fast.

Honestly every process is different, after I attended my free siminar they sent us home with a packet that was basicaly about our weight history and such. After getting my packet they sent me to my general health doctor so I could get a check-up and to get a letter of recomendation to send to the insurance company [b/c the lapband dr. can't do it due to he would be making money off of it, and the insurance companies won't accept it]. After these steps it's really dependant on what insurance you have, and how long it takes you to do things [b/c if you are like me i have work and school and tend to put all other things off for as long as possible...i am a huge procrastinator.] with my insurance company (United Healthcare) they require a 5year weight history (for me this was the longest part of the process took me about a month and a 1/2). When I was done getting all of that together my nurse at the surgical clinic who is handeling my case put all my information into a packet which would go to the insurance company for them to review and then decide if they would cover the surgery. My nurse told me that the revision process could take about 90 days, but I recieved a call from her 3 days later and she told me I was approved. Now all I have to do is attend a meeting, and we are setteling on a final date today [more then likely april 6th]. so all together it took me about 4 or 5 months (that come and go quickly) not very long considering how long I have been unhappy and uncomfortable in my own skin due to being overweight. Hope this helps...but usually it is different for everyone, and it really stinks for those whose insurance companies require a 6 month doctor monitored diet...but remember the juice is always worth the squeze. good luck =]

I went to my seminar in July of 2008 and had surgery in November of 2008. The process went really fast for me. I had to have alot of tests before my family doctor would ok me for surgery but after that it was really fast.

I went to the seminar in July, and would have been scheduled for my lap band in January, except I was going on vacation, so it is now this week. The process is a relatively long one, first the seminar, then I had to have a physical and some blood test done by my PCP to get a referral, then onto a meet and greet with the lap band doctor, then 3 nutritionalist appointments, 2 physical trainer appointments, 1 psch evaluation, and finally insurance approval, this was the fastest part of the puzzle for me, took only a couple of weeks to hear back from Blue Cross that I had been approved. Good luck, stick with it, it goes by faster than it sounds really.

and finally insurance approval, this was the fastest part of the puzzle for me, took only a couple of weeks to hear back from Blue Cross that I had been approved. Good luck, stick with it, it goes by faster than it sounds really.

hey you didn't have to do a 6month dietary plan with a doctor before approval from Blue Cross, I heard that's one of their requirements.

No, when the doctor asked what insurance I had and I told him Blue Cross, he said it'll be no problem then, and it wasn't. I didn't have to do the 6 month doctor supervised diet or anything like that.

that's odd, I know they used to do it without 6 months a little over a year ago from now. maybe your on a higher type of plan? or did you already have a 6 month weight history from your doc at that point? I heard if you have enough medical problems due to the obesity though, they should be able to skip that process as well (cheaper for them).

No, I didn't have a prior weight history with my doctor and I didn't have any other weight related problems like high blood pressure or sleep apnea either, I don't know why they didn't require that for me if they do others, must be a different plan that I'm on or maybe it's the state I'm in, I'm in Maine, I don't know if that makes a difference or not.

Thanks for all the great info. Guess I'm looking at 6 months, give or take. I'm not looking forward to all the insurance paperork, but guess it's worth it.

I have signed up to attend a seminar after researching options and many failed diets. Now I am curious about what to expect after the seminar and what kind of time frame I may be looking at until the surgery.

Any insight is appreciated.

TIA :)

I'm wondering about the same thing. I just signed up for a Dr. Consultation on April 6th. I have HMSA insurance and my card says that its an independentr Licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association...and its PPO. Does anyone know what kind of time fram I may be looking at until the surgery?

i have BBBS and it was 6 months, which seemed to be the average on just about all insurance. It could be shorter with the assumption you already have a monthly weight history of at least 6 months. They should be able to tell you the exact amount of time in the seminar.