Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My hair! My hair!

Hi, friends!

Okay...so I took all the warnings from the nutritionist about getting in the Protein. I get between 75 and 90 grams of Protein a day. I take my Multi-Vitamin every day too. But in the past couple of weeks, my hair is just falling out all over the place... I go to condition my hair and come back with strands and strands tangled around my fingers.

I have an appointment with my family doctor next week to maybe do some blood work and talk about the situation, but I thought I would ask you guys too.

Has anybody else gone through this... getting the protein but losing the hair anyway? I've combed the net, but find no other tips for bandsters to prevent Hair loss other than the protein intake.

Thanks for your thoughts!

:rolleyes:

My surgeon said the following, in the seminar (and he's been right about everything he's told me so far, including this)....Your hair most likely WILL fall out at anywhere from 3-6 months. Most of the time you won't need a wig or toupee. One patient "needed" a wig but then she had a wig shop. It will stop falling and grow back. You can take supplements or not and the same thing will happen; it seems to be tied to the trauma of the surgery.

Mine started falling out at 3 months. It never got so thin that my stylist could tell (although it was horrifying for me). It fell out from about 3 months to about 5 months, then it quit.

Hang in there. There are supplements people say to take (like biotin) but I personally don't think they really help. Just eat right, take your doc prescribed supplements, and grit your teeth. It'll stop.

OH and I will say that it is growing faster than usual too. :rolleyes: I have a short style and get it cut at set intervals...and now it's too long when I wait my "time"...if that makes sense. It's getting too long too quickly.

Wow, thanks! Your answer is really helpful, especially since I am at four months post op.

I'm laughing because I have naturally curly, usually really thick hair...to the point where I shave half of it under my upper layer in order to cut down on the bulk... but now I'm at the other end of the pool!! ha ha ha

I feel a little better. Thanks!

Edited by SunnyRachel

:rolleyes:

I really DO feel your pain. I'm 54 and it's bad enough being the fat lady with rosacea. I REALLY didn't want to be the fat BALD lady with rosacea! :thumbup:

I know people will swear by supplements but most of them say "may take up to 12 weeks to work" and by then, little old unsupplemented me had her hair growing back! Hang in there! :mellow:

Thanks and big hugs to you!!!

I really don't think there's a whole lot you can do except wait it out. I started losing my hair at around six weeks, and it stopped falling out at about four months. It was basically overnight when it started and when it stopped. I had the same thing happen after childbirth and two other surgeries. If I were to guess, I think it's hormonal and not unique to WLS. At least it wasn't for me.

I had the same thing happen after childbirth and two other surgeries. If I were to guess, I think it's hormonal and not unique to WLS. At least it wasn't for me.

You know, now that you said this...I do remember losing my hair before too right after my two kids were born by C-section...

The human body is an amazing and mysterious thing! lol

ive been going to the same hair stylist for the past 9 years or so, and she got the lapband 5 years ago. she gave me basically the same advice as everyone here: yes, your hair will naturally get thinner no matter how much Protein you get in, but the Protein level is still very important to keep up. it usually happens around month 3 or so (like it has for me) and should only last 1-3 months. but don't worry-- it WILL grow back! worrying will only make your body stressed more and you will lose more hair!

in the meantime, she suggested to just use a volumizing conditioner, dont blow dry your hair as much, and get your split ends cut and style your hair more often during this time to keep people from noticing anything is different.

hope this helps!

I have to agree with everyone here. You will have people tell you to eat Protein, take Biotin <sp> and use certain shampoos but fact is none of that STOPS the Hair loss and you have to suck it up. Trust me... I did not do a good job of sucking it up lol. I have lost about 50% of my hair volume, I am not bald but man the handfuls of hair that would come out in the shower. Stress and panic, Lawdy mercy. Where I have not seen a huge re growth I have finally seen the hair loss slow down, I am no longer clogging the shower drain.

I have not been banded yet, but I had this same problem with both of my c/s. It started around 2 months and lasted till around 6 months. I didnt know it was from the trama of surgery. I always assumed it was because of my hormones.

I am having my surgery in May. I have real thin hair as it is, basically I should expect to have a period of time in which it thins more? Does it tend to thin out in certain areas more than others? Wow..this part scares me more than the surgery :0(

Okay... I can suck it up. I just worried I was doing something wrong. I'll try to use the flat Iron as little as possible too...but if I don't, I look like Medusa! lol

Thanks everybody!!!

SunnyRachel, I hope I didn't appear rude when I said ya gotta suck it up, I didn't mean it to sound ugly. I went through and am going through the same thing. I think I was more relieved to learn it is just something normal that happens then to continue trying every product on the market to "fix" it.

That being said I absolutely LOVE what you have written under your "goal"

Edited by Laurinda

SunnyRachel, I hope I didn't appear rude when I said ya gotta suck it up

Oh, no, not at all! Now that you all have reassured me, I'm actually able to suck it up. :laugh: lol

I've been very careful with this band because I'm usually someone who lets a problem go on until it's too late or really, really bad...so with the band, I'm trying to make sure I touch all my bases before I just suck it up and ignore it. ha ha ha

Thanks also for your compliment on my signature!

Take care!