Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does anyone wear a Medical Alert Bracelet??

Just wondering if anyone wears a medical alert Bracelet?

Apparently theres one that says-

"NO NG WITHOUT TUBE"

Just wondering about those emergencies that can happen. Thanks.

Without sounding too blonde as I am not sure of the exact translation into medical terms it basically means not to intubate (tube down ur throat to help you breathe in case of emergency) without using a fibroscope thing. Those things with a camera so they can see where the tube is going. Its in case they push and cause damage somehow to our tum tums!!!

That make sense?? Hope so!!:eek:

Hopefully, someone with medical expertise will weigh in on your question, but from what I've read, there are two separate types of medical tubes. A breathing tube goes into your lungs, not down your esophagus. I don't think it's probable that I would need to have my stomach pumped in an emergency situation that neither I nor someone from my family would be able to let medical personnel know I have a band. I just carry my card in my wallet, and also have my band noted on my cell phone under emergency info.

edited my post:

I'm glad you posted, kimaly. Stomach pumping is what I meant rather than feeding tube.

Edited by kiz
correction

I wear one, it says Gastric Band Patient, No Blind NG, No Nsaids. The NG would be like pumping your stomach. Of coarse there is a real word for it but it has escaped my lips at the moment.

I was curious as to what "NG" meant.....here's what it says:

An NG (nasogastric) tube is one that is passed through the nose (via the nasopharynx and esophagus) down into the stomach.

An NG tube is a flexible tube made of rubber or plastic and has bidirectional potential. A nasogastric tube can thus be used to remove the contents of the stomach including air (to decompress the stomach) and small solid objects and Fluid (e.g., to evacuate poison from the stomach). A nasogastric tube can also be used to instill liquids into the stomach (e.g., to feed the person).

I'm certainly going to ask my surgeon if i need to wear an alert Bracelet. Thanks for bringing up the question....one of those things that I never thought about. :confused:

I'm in Melbourne, I asked this question of my sugeon and she answered that it's not necessary because a naso gastric tube can be placed with a band without deflating the band. But lots of anaesthetists (the ones that put you to sleep) still want the band Fluid out. Also on any xrays and scans the band can be seen. You also have scars that show you've probably been banded. When the Drs feel the tum they can feel the port.

I carry a lapband card in my wallet only because I was told its not necessary.

im a nurse in icu and only had my band done almost 2 months ago, nothing was mentioned to me,

we can easily see the band with saline or without on chest xray, look at the barrium swallows you had and you can see it. plus when we palpate, or press on your abdo/tummy we can feel it, even when the years have passed and the scars are barly visable.

when a ng is put in, its small enough to pass through the band, and we can still feed or drain puke or other wonderful stuff out, as for intubation, its in the upper laranyx or back of the throat, and the tube goes down the airway down to just before the lungs start.

i hope this may help

sus

I suppose if you have enough medical conditions and you feel more comfortable wearing one then why not?

im a nurse in icu and only had my band done almost 2 months ago, nothing was mentioned to me,

we can easily see the band with saline or without on chest xray, look at the barrium swallows you had and you can see it. plus when we palpate, or press on your abdo/tummy we can feel it, even when the years have passed and the scars are barly visable.

when a ng is put in, its small enough to pass through the band, and we can still feed or drain puke or other wonderful stuff out, as for intubation, its in the upper laranyx or back of the throat, and the tube goes down the airway down to just before the lungs start.

i hope this may help

sus

Thanks, sus, for the great explanation. I always forget to ask my surgeon about it. They gave me so much detailed info prior to tsurgery, that I think if it was imortant, they would have at least said something. I often go to another lapband forum, and they are always pushing it. You explanation makes sense.

im so happy that i have helped in some way!!

just feel were you port is, how it doesnt feel the same as the rest, easy to go, what the? sorry, got reminded of what the of roves 10th b'day show the other night.

if you have any other questions, just ask, did you have a barrum swallow? if so have a look, and you will see a little circle when the white stuff goes down.

take care

sus

im so happy that i have helped in some way!!

just feel were you port is, how it doesnt feel the same as the rest, easy to go, what the? sorry, got reminded of what the of roves 10th b'day show the other night.

if you have any other questions, just ask, did you have a barrum swallow? if so have a look, and you will see a little circle when the white stuff goes down.

take care

sus

HI ALL, GOOD QUESTION.. GOOOD ANSWERS.:frown:.I THINK EACH OF US GET DIFFERENT ANSWERS FROM OUR DOCTORS.. MINE SAYS IT IS A GOOD IDEA TO GET ONE, AND JUST PUT LAPBAND PATIENT ON IT, HE SAID WHEN THEY SEE IT, THEY WILL KNOW HOW TO PROCEED..I AM GOING TO GET ONE, I FEEL ITS BETTER SAFE THEN SORRY. :biggrin:

T-ROSE

I received info in my packet about where to buy them and I do wear one. In part because of my heart condition and I also added the Lapband and the serial number on it. I probably didn't need to add the number but I thought it might help alert the emergency people a little better. I also have my other medical conditions on it. I just thought it was a good idea. Most of us have conditions related to weight gain so it is a good idea to wear one if you have those conditions in my opinion. You just never know what kind of emergency may arise and what emergency personal may have to do in a pinch before you reach the hosptial. I believe the more they know the better. I had one emergency trip related to my heart condition and the first thing they did was put me in the ambulance and rip my shirt open to hook me up to all kinds of tubing, monitors and oxygen and administer drugs. I didn't have the lapband then and my heart problems had just begun but it was scary. I wasn't thinking about my other conditions that they might have needed to know about like high blood pressure etc. I was pratically unconsious. The more info they have the better during a situation like that.

I opted to get one.

Mine reads as follows;

Angie Boyd

ADJ Gastric Band

No NG Tube w/o

Endoscope

UMNC

on the reverse side it give my surgeons name, and number along with my ICE # which is my husband.

Any info you can give the health care professionals is a plus in my book. I learned years ago, I am in charge of my health care. Not every Dr or nurse is on top of there game and I nearly lost my life due to a small oversite on their part. I don't take small things for granted now. Anyone can make a mistake or take a short cut. That is my thoughts on the matter. I wear a braclet daily. Doesn't hurt.