Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

:crying:Emotional effects of anesthesia

Hi everyone,

Today for some reason I've been feeling kind of weepy. I was listening to a musical which should have had no effect on me emotionally, or at least, I don't think so, but I suddenly found myself crying. And it just happened again. Even now I feel like I could just burst in to tears. And I had a hysterectomy six years ago, so it's not anything like that. I experienced this before then, and just wondered if anyone else has been effected post op.

I had the exact same reaction post op--I was weepy, sentimental, crying at tv, crying for no reason! It will pass, don't worry. I think for me it was a combination of stress, fear (and release of the fear I'd built up in anticipation of the surgery, and pain meds! ;-)

Do you have someone close to you that you can just lean on and have a good cry? That helped me tremendously, just talking it out with my sister or my boyfriend, and yes, sometimes just sobbing "irrationally." It was a huge relief!

Hang in there and take care! Feel free to message me if you need someone to talk to.

Valerie

Hi:

For me, I don't think it was the anesthesia. I think it was mourning the death of my old best friend - OVEREATING! It's a big emotional change for people like us.

Best wishes to you. The tears of sadness will soon fade and you'll have tears of happiness as you see the scale go down and your body feels so much better.

I love my band.

Best wishes.

Sue

Thank you, Valerie and Sue. It could be a combination of lots of things, I thought it might be anesthesia because that's the way I was after my hysterectomy. But it could also be the stress of not eating; I'm still on full liquids. I want these stupid staples out; I'm starting to get tired of creamy Soups and Jello and Protein shakes.

But I need to focus on the fact that already there is a change in my body. My roommate, who is also my best friend, is very supportive, and someone I can lean on, and my coworkers have been wonderful.

thank you both; it helps to know that I'm not the only one who cried.

Debbie

Edited by serenity55

I had to call my surgeon's office on the third day post-op because I was the same way. They told me a fairly significant percentage of people experience symptoms much like post-partum depression. It was due to the anesthesia. They told me to get out and walk in the sun. It made a huge difference for me. Hope you feel better soon!

I am so glad you posted this. I haven't been banded yet but I definitely needed to know this to be prepared. I'm on the max dose of my anti-depressants and I get bad postpartum depression but it helps me and everyone around me if I am prepared for it.

Thanx,

Spud :rose:

Thank you, mzmouse. I'm going to go out tomorrow. I'ts been raining here, but I think we're going to have a reprieve. Even if we don't, I'm going out. I think it will make a difference.

Spud.mama, good luck with your banding. I hope you come through with flying colors. This web site is a wonderful place to come and talk, so if you have anxieties or panic attacks, I'm sure you'll get lots of support. I'm here, too, if you want to talk.

Debbie