Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Long Term Success vs. Regain?

I was thinking about people who've gained back most of their weight after wls, and just started wondering what sorts of attitudes, outlooks, self-talk, and mental traits help a person to be successful long-term? I'm currently in wls limbo waiting for all the pieces to fall into place, but I know hindsight is 20/20, and I want to learn from others who've already gone before me. What are the mental land mines that can get a person in trouble?

The only people that I know that have gained back all of their weight from wls were my friends who got the bypass. They have all gained back all their weight or almost all of their weight and their pouches are stretched out. One of my friends said it started with some McDonald's fries one day. She pushed herself and ate a large fry and from their she stretched her pouch out and gained all of her weight back in like 5 months she said.

Now, I know a few lapbanders who have gained back some weight.. but it's been only a small portion, like 5 or 10 lbs and it was mostly because they stopped getting the fills or something happened and they had to get an unfill, but usually they can get back on track. So, I'm not sure which surgery you are speaking of??

I had some complications with my band due to stress and I had to get half my fill taken out and have been slowly adding it back over the last two months. Now, i could have went and had 10 cheeseburgers if I wanted to, but I didn't. I haven't lost any weight, but I only gained about 2-3 lbs during this time of being without restriction. For me this is huge, because in the past I easily could have gained 10 lbs a month.

I think staying on track is looking at food differently. Before my stress inducing week I had, I was at my sweetspot and losing about 8 lbs a month and honestly, I just lived life... I was working out about 3-4 times a week, but you know, every now and again I would have a shake... or an icecream... or a cookie.... I didn't keep myself from enjoying things like this because if you make it a big deal, it will be a big deal. And my lapband doctor told me not to deny myself these things every now and again and I think just knowing that I could have it, but chose not to most of the time got me in the good frame of mind. To where now, I could eat whatever I want without my restriction, but I just don't want it. And that feels good.

So, frame of mind = don't ever make yourself feel like you are denying yourself something that your body needs.

Reach a good restriction to where you aren't looking around for food and food isn't your top priority anymore.

If you have a month or two where you aren't losing, don't give up... lord knows I felt like I did.

And never lose your support system on here. I have gone through periods where I've gotten away from this forum and I think it just hurts me in the long run, because I get out of the lapband zone, which is a shame, because I like it here and need this support.

Good luck!

DISCLAIMER: I wasn't trying to knock the bypass, because I'm sure there are plenty of people that it has worked for, it just didn't work for my three friends. Just as, I'm sure there are folks that didn't do well with the lapband. Everybody has different bodies...

To me, staying on track is NEVER thinking you can go off your diet and exercise regime.

I have relaxed a bit as you do through time, but not intentionally, lol. I try really really really hard to keep doing what I always did to lose weight. Exact same routine, exact same food intake. I never cut calories too far, never counted calories or Protein, I lost on a fairly large intake, gradually my weight petered out and now I maintain on that intake - given its about 1500 to 1800 a day that's quite doable. Nowadays I'm up at the 1800 end.

But every single day I wake up and vow to be "good". I plan out my exercise, I put it first and I still exercise HARD six times a week and I still try to cycle it around a bit so my body doesnt get too used to the same routine.

I keep seeing my doc and i wouldnt hesitate to get a fill if I felt I was getting hungrier.

I've kept my weight off for 18 months now. I would like to lose a few kgs's more but its not happening. Perhaps that is the secret - never arriving at your ultimate goal - keeps me going anyway.

I think there are a few pitfalls that can can cause you to start gaining again.

Becoming complacent . . . such as having slider foods on a regular basis. You need to decide what is acceptable in what frequency and stick to it. A special treat a couple of times a month might not harm you, but a couple times a week or day will definitely start moving your weight in the wrong direction.

Not weighing yourself on a regular basis. Out of sight is out of mind. If you can stay in the mindset that you have to regroup on your eating plan and go back to basic when ever you move more than 2-5 pounds beyond where you need to be, then you will be OK.

Keeping support structures in place. Most of us became obese due to behavioral, psychological reasons . . . we need to stay aggressive in making sure that these are addressed through behavior and reinforced through support structures.

Exercise is important for keeping your metabolism revved up. You should make it a part of your lifestyle, not just something you do in weight loss mode or while dieting.

I have only been banded for three months, but I know for me personally what my triggers are, which will cause me to screw up.

1. Lack of exercise and being in the mind set that I can stop exercising.

2. Not tracking calories, I gave to do this or I really distort the amount I consume.

3. Watching slider foods

4. Sticking with my after care and having my blood drawn monthly. It is a chore, but I need to do it.

5. Keeping the mind set that this is a long journey and an ever lasting commitment to myself to my health.

6. Not comparing myself to Jachut :-) (or to anyone else)

7. Keeping it real. Yep, I do screw up. It's true! But I don't let it consume and I just get back on track. I am forgiving of myself.

I lost this weight once before on Nutrisystem. I went on a cruise and came back like 7 or 8 lbs up and didnt stop there. Then my Dad's heart went out beat and he had one problem after another and almost died twice and I had quit my daily walking. Its hard to be serious about losing weight when parent is dying and put yourself first, sometimes you find it hard mentally.

You have to make time for yourself. If you are like me you wouldnt lose unless you exercise and burn calories and you just have to do it.