Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So Depressed...No restriction...No Weight Loss

I was banded 07-16-05. I went and had my 1st fill at 6 wks post-op which was supposed to have been 1.5cc's. I called the dr. the week after and told them that I still have no restriction. I can eat anything and everything...no getting stuck just sliding on down. The dr. set up another appt for a fill. So, I went last

week to get another fill (8 wks post-op) and they couldn't get in the port. I am under a fluoro each time and do NOT get numbed. She was digging and poking for over 15 mins. Finally, she said that she believed my port has probably flipped and most likely didn't get the 1st fill. (how nice to know that saline is just floating around in me...like I need any xtra weight!) She now has arranged for me to meet the dr. ( the p.a.'s do the fills for my dr.) at the surgery ctr this week and if the dr. can't get it filled then he will cut thru my scar, flip it back over then fill it. Sounds fun, huh? LOL!! If the weight doesn't start falling off after that then I GIVE UP! I have gained back almost all of the weight that I lost in the first place. What do all of ya'll think about this? I am soooooo frustrated.

I had a similar situation with my port & my band. Do you by any chance have a low profile port? One of the Drs thought my port was flipped as well, but it turned out that since it was a low profile port, the Drs were just having a harder time accessing it.

I hope everything goes better for you!

first off, the weight may not just "fall off." You may be one of the slow ones. Just make sure you track your NSVs, they will really help.

Second, man, that sux about your port. Sorry I can't offer any specific advice other than never let people dig around in you with a needle. YIKES! Sorry! Flower just had a port revision, you might PM her and find out some specificis.

Why on God's green earth were you not numbed??? I have had two fills & always get a numb shot ahead of time. Next time demand one. thats crazy! Seriously there is no reason in todays world to have to feel the pain of that needle jarring around inside of you.

I would make my feelings know to my Doctor pronto. I hope all goes well with your next visit & that they locate the port just fine & you Don't have to have any more procedures. Let us know what happens. Best of luck!

My doc stitched my port down in 4 places so he was absolutely sure it wouldn't move and he could easily find it. At my first fill, under fluoro, it took him nearly 30 minutes and I kid you not, around 50 pokes to find it. He didn't say it flipped or anything, but after 4 numbing shots and all of the above, he was frustrated and I am afraid to ever go for another fill. After the novicane wore off later in the day, the site where the 50 holes were was very, very sore and bruised.

I'm seriously afraid to ever go for another fill, even though the first one left me with no more restriction than before I had it. Now that you mention it, maybe my doctor didn't hit my port either since I feel absolutely no restriction!?! Anyway, Good luck to you wannabskinny2!!

I guess I would look at the time between now and when this is sorted out as a period when you're going to have to purposely "diet". There's no reason not to lose weight if you artificially impose your limits, count calories, however you like to do that. It might be very hard but there's an end in sight, you only have to do it till you get a proper fill.

YOu can do it!

Your 8 weeks post op

Its early in this journey, don't fret. A flipped port is no big deal if that is the case for you, it gets fixed , you get filled and move on. Try not to let the bumps in the road discourage you. It has been 15 motnhs for me and in that time I had esophagitis for 3 weeks in November ( liquids only) then in April I had bowel obstruction and had to be unfilled for 2 months and had to have surgery for my bowel obsrtuction. Things happen dont lose your focus, it will take time but you will get there , remember this is not a race, it is a lifelong journey.

The weight is never going to fall of sorry to have to say that but it is the truth. , it will come off slowly and gradually when your filled right and doing the right things. Hang in there, DONT GIVE UP!

A question though, if your Dr. does her fills under flouro, didnt she not know she hit the port on your first fill? This is why they use flouro to see the port. Does she not use barium after the fill to see the barium flowing through the opening after she fills you to see if it worked?

I have had fills both w/fluoro & without & NEVER been numbed. Both people who have done the fills find the port the 1st time, & neither of them hurts. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I have heard & picked up from reading here that the skill of the filler has a lot to do with it. I'm so sorry some of you were poked so many times & hope that no additional procedure will be necessary.

Don't cha just love Ortiz & Martinez Karen! I'm glad you mentioned them because I was just banded a week ago by Ortiz and was beginning to worry as I read these posts.

I wondered how I would do because I hate needles....

I am so tight with the band alone that I can't imagine ever needing a fill : )

It makes me hurt just reading about multiple pokes that some of you have had to endure.

Hi Mercedes, congratulations on being banded. Yes, I love them both. I don't know of anyone who has had a problem w/Dr. Martinez accessing the port. But I certainly didn't take a poll on Dr Martinez fills, so I don't want to make any blanket statements. When you evenutally need a fill--it looks a little scary at first, but it's really not bad at all.