Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Some thoughts as I approach surgery date

HI, My surgery date is Feb. 18, this coming Wed. I have had the same thought also, but I can't stay the way I am. My doctor told me to lose 15lb in 3 weeks, well I followed a low carb diet to the tee and lost 28 in two weeks. I know about half of the was Fluid, but a pound is a pound. I am on liquid days since yesterday. Tomorrow starts Clear Liquids. However, I cannot get the Protein Drinks down and keep them down. I found some Protein Jello and will try that tomorrow. I hope they are good and that I can tolerate them. Did anyone else have this probem? I wish everyone good luck on their surgery and journey to a new person. I know I am scared silly right now.

Jan

K-Jan,

I too am going in on the 18th, can't wait to get it over with. I have been on liquid the last 3-4 days. The doc wasn't pushy about it, but I thoiught it might be good to get used to it while I know my body, might make it easier after the band goes in. I have been drinking the large EAS Myoplex shakes, they are 300 cals each and taste fine to me. I like them cuze they have a twist off plastic top that can be put back on.

TXpatter and Louie Louie - My surgery is March 10th also. (Hope I got your names right!)

Hal -

You worded it perfectly. I go on my preop diet the 24th. I've had some last supper syndrome. I dd go out for a filet mignon on V-Day. Steaks are one thing my doc said I probably would not be able to eat afterwards - not a big deal for me but did want to have one last one! I gave up soda and caffeine with no problem. My last supper issues seem to be not related to what I feel can't have after surgery (other than the filet) but more about missing the amount of food I have eaten in the past and using food for comfort. Luckily I've only gained 1.5 pounds - by the grace of God. But hopefully realizing it ahead of time will make it a little bit easier. Until the last year I'd never put much thought into what I eat or why.... so far this has truly been an enlightening journey and I truly feel no amount of food that I can shovel in to comfort myself will feel as good as being healthy and giving myself the chance to live a long life with my family.

Best wishes!

Hi everyone, I had my surg. on 3-4-09. It was easier then I had anticipated. I was told to arrive at the hospital at 5:30 AM. But then I found out I was not scheduled until 3:30. So that was a drag. After surg. I had to drink one ouce Water cups every 10 min. until I got down 50 oz. about every 3 hours I walked alittle. I only need to take liq. tylenol for the discomfort by my port. Other then that no problems. I am so happy. And good luck on you banders coming up soon. Oh yea. I know I feel nausea after anesthetics, so they gave me a patch and nausea meds to help prevent that. Dont be afraid to ask for anything. I told the anestesiologist I was nervous and before I knew it he gave me something in my IV and I was out. I sleeped most of the day after my surg. and to day I am sore mostly near my port. I plan to go back to work on Mon. just 3 days away.

Hal,

I think it is great that you are really thinking hard about this decision. I know that it is one that I am not making lightly. I had looked at this surgery a few years ago and then gave up on it because my inusrance would not cover it. But starting this year the hospital where I work started performing it. The surgeon went to HR and told them that if he was going to perform the surgery at this hospital then there was no way they could deny coverage for the employess. So as of Jan 2009 it is part of our insurance. So now i have jumped on the bandwagon and am hoping to get my surgery either the end of April or early May. But anyway back to the point I was making..:rolleyes:. I have thought long and hard about if this is the right decision or not. I dont think you should have the surgery if you are not willing to look very hard at all aspects and are questioning if it is really right for you. I too have lost and regained weight many times. So when people say why cant you just do this or do that I tell them my problem is not with losing weight, but in keeping it off. Yeah the band will probably make losing the weight a little easier and faster, but i believe it will make a huge difference in keeping it off.

Sorry this is long and rambling, but I hope it helps.:thumbup:

Jen

Hal, I wish you the best with your surgery.........My surgery is in a week and I am very nervous.. As a woman in her mid 50's, I am having similar thoughts this week about "last suppers". I am not that concerned about my attraction to others, because my husband loves me the way I am and I love him very much. I don't love me though. I feel horrible all of the time and I want to feel better. I was always thin and athletic until about 20 years ago. I am not really nervous about the surgery, but about giving up my addictions such as diet pepsi and a few other things. :rolleyes:

Edited by Texasgal09

Hi Hal ,

New to this site. I am feeling as you do but also know the benefits from having this surgery. I am hoping to have it done at the end of April . Just know that you are not alone . I think everyone has cold feet right before the surgery it is a life change . I am going to reach out to support groups before and after to help me with the mental aspect of how I got to this point .... That should help with reinforcing why did the surgery in the first place and to help change our attitude towards food . Well , thanks for listening .... Ghost

Hi Hal,

My surgery date is 3-16-09. I truly believe this is the right answer for me in my head but my heart is still fearful. I have a 14 year old special needs daughter which is one reason for and against surgery. With any surgery there are major risks, but less with this one than with gastric bypass. On the other hand, my weight holds me back physically due to knee osteoarthritis. Mentally I do not feel like I am over 100# over weight but after seeing my self on the computer over video chat and pictures at christmas, I realize that I am obese and do need help.

I think it is very important to discuss any serious doubts with your healthcare provider and your surgeon. Both of mine are very supportive. Initially, I was not going to tell anyone at work as I am physical therapist and being over weight is my profession in healthcare is sad. However, I slowly told individuals on our staff and have been truly amazed at the positve response. Of course I am blessed that my family supports me and want me to be happy and healthier.

I am not saying you are not ready. However in healthcare, I have noticed that the people who have a positive attitude and "buy into" physical therapy as means to improving their health do the best. I appreciate your philosophic post. By posting to you, I have clarified in my mind, my reasons for getting a lapband and that I have the support to help me win this weight loss battle.

best of luck

Kat

Scheduled for March 23rd; have to be at hospital @ 5:30 in the morning. And since I won't be having coffee that morning I will probably look and feel like I'm in the movie "Night of the Living Dead".

Right now I seem to be on a stress-induced diet. Have been losing a couple of pounds a week since first of Feb.

Absolutely not worried about the surgery but making sure that I have all my post-op foods lined up and in the cabinet where I don't have to stretch to reach them. Making sure someone is trained to cover my slot at work while I'm gone which means a lot of overtime to get my work done since I'll be training during regular hours. (In fact should probably be there this morning-Sat- but the spirit is just not moving me.

Have three dogs; want to make sure that the folks I've lined up for first couple of days after do give them some quality time since "mom" plans to do absolutely nothing stressful for the first week.

And for some reason really want my house to be spotless when I come home so am in the midst of a huge purge of excess paperwork, boxing nick-nacks & clothing I just don't wear for Goodwill and trying to get some painting done.

Going to go and buy the softest pillowcases I can find as pre-surgery reward.

Chewing the absolute hell out of nicotine gum; if Nicorette's (sp?) profits go up, it's me :laugh:

Thanks to all for letting me ramble.

And good luck to all the other March Lucky Losers!

Julia

Wanted to add a thanks!

(I really am not replying to my own post; just adding an addendum)

The lists that many of the members have posted re: what is permitted on liquid then soft foods diet has really been helpful to me and I just wanted to thank you all.

Heading to grocery store after church to continue stocking the pantry. My doc gave me a list that said Clear liquids one week, then on to very soft foods the next. It just gave ideas but you all gave me specifics that I hadn't thought of so much appreciated.:)