Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

You are our pioneers!

Best wishes to our February 2nd bandsters! May you have successful surgeries, and smooth uneventful recoveries.

And let us know how you're doing when you're up to it.

Debbie

Hi Debbie, thank you!! It's really nice to know we are in this together to some degree - it really is an individual journey I have discovered during my 10 day liquid pre-op diet. Things are really different for sure, and soon to be more and more different!! Again, thanks for the support and good wishes!!

Hey, Wendy, best of luck, and please let me know how everything went.

I'll be sending you good thoughts.

Debbie

thanks a lot debbie! i will be sure to update once i am feeling up to it...

wendy, good luck tomorrow! my surgery is set for around 9:30 tomorrow morning and im really excited :w00t:

Laur and Debbie - it all went well yesterday for me, I was not nervous at all which is weird . . . I guess I was just ready!! Surgery was at around 9, scheduled for 8:45 and it didn't take long at all. I was in the recovery room for a very long time, Over 3 hours - I woke up really slowly and then the pain wasn't manageable at first. Then I went back to amblatory (sp?) services where I started and my hubby came in at that time. I was out of the hospital at around 4:30 I think, I was still pretty sleepy at that point!!

I hope all is well with the others too!!

Wendy

Hey Wendy! Congratulations! I'm glad things went well. Take care of yourself, and I hope you continue to have smooth sailing!

Debbie

Congrats Wendy! I'm sending quick recovery vibes your way!

Well, I can tell ya'all what it is like up until they take you in for surgery. Then, I am out of my depth. They scrubbed my surgery at the last second because of my potassium levels. I am penciled in for the 16th~ provided I get my bloodwork under control. :thumbup:

Be prepared to be a human pincushion.

Other than that, it is very easy. You put on the cool gown with the opening in the back, booties and nothing else.

Then you get to lay down on a gurney, covered in nice warmed up blankies. You get an I.V., a shot in your tummy, a patch behind your ear, and a sedative if you are really nervous. You will talk w/ the nurse in charge of your case, the head scrub nurse in the OR, the anesthesiologist & of course your surgeon. I assume the next thing that happens is you are wheeled to the OR.

Since I got to go through the dress rehearsal, I find I am not very nervous about the surgery anymore. Of course, talk to me on the 15th!! :)

Hugs to all you Feb 2nd-ers!!! Heal quickly!!!

Hello friends,

I'm doing pretty good - just keep dozing off which is probably a good thing, then I won't try to do laundry etc.!! The pain is uncomfortable but not terrible . . . I've been putting my big blue cold pack (in a flannel pillowcase) over my tummy and that seems to help a lot. I can't believe it's over and just beginning at the same time, lol - you guys know what I mean!!

Also, they told me in the hospital that I will need to cough every hour, with a pillow pushed against my tummy in order to loosen and bring up the 'phlem' (ugh) out of the lungs. I guess it collects there during surgery because of the anathesia or maybe breathing tube, anyway there is certainly stuff to be coughed up. I'm telling you guys this just in case someone doesn't tell you to cough, which they probably will, it's important. The other thing was I called the office because I had a 100.6 temp yesterday and they told me a small fever is common after surgery and to make sure I get the 64 oz of Water in first, then Protein so that's what I'm doing - still getting enough Protein from the higher gram drinks but making sure I get the Water . . . it is a lot to drink!!! The temp is around 99.8 today.

See ya!!

Wendy, glad to hear that your fever has come down! 106?! Wow!!

My dietician said that some people found it really hard to get all the drinking in, but 64 ounces is what I heard, too. Please take good care of yourself. It sounds like you're doing that.

Shelly, I'm so sorry about your surgery being canceled! I don't know how I would handle that, except I know I'd be terribly disappointed. Oh well, the 16th will be here before you know it. As you said, this was a dress rehearsal!

Debbie

Wendy, Glad you have a new birthday. That makes us younger!! Hope all continues to go well. I will have my new birthday next week (10th) Lets keep in touch and support each other on the journey!!:bananalama:

As I am healing I plan to get a handle on a these do dads on this site!!! like a signature and a ticker!

Hi all, just checking in - I'm pretty sore, still taking pain meds and not able to get up out of bed or a chair without a big effort. I'm laying low, as we all should after being banded . . . I think I expected the pain to subside quicker than this - but everyone is different. Like I said before, it's not super terrible but definately keeps me down!! Take care and thanks for the good thoughts!!

Wendy

Wendy, thank you for keeping us posted.

How long are you planning to stay off work?

Yes, someone said that it feels like your insides will fall out when you bend over. It's nice to know what to expect, as far as physical feelings are concerned.

May you continue to have a good recovery. I hope the soreness goes away soon.

Debbie

Hi Debbie, I plan on going back to work next Tuesday, the 10th. I sit while at work but I drive almost an hour getting there - that's what I think will be hard if I'm still sore. Hopefully by Tuesday it'll be much better - from what I have read on LBT, the pain should be lots better by then.

BTW, all the lists and stuff on the boards about what to take to the hospital helped but I think the one thing that really made a big difference was putting a pillow in the car so on the way home from the hospital it can go on your tummy to protect the incisions from the seatbelt!! Wow. long sentence!!

We'll see how things go the next few days!!

Hope you are feeling tons better today Wendy!! :thumbup:

Well, I was SUPPOSED to see my PCP today, to figure out what to do about my ugly potassium levels. Friday afternoon, her office calls me. She has to cancel, and can't see me for about 3 weeks. Insurance issues on her end. Well, ain't that just dandy!?

I called my surgeon. He is supposed to get back to me some time today to discuss our options.

This whole thing has just thrown me into a funk. First the surgery gets cancelled, and now this. I am wondering if this is the big guy's way of telling me not to go thru with the surgery. :)

ARG!!

Hugs,

Hi Shelly, what a bummer!! Perhaps your surgeon can deal with the issue . . . I bet your are frustrated. I was doing fine until yesterday evening, I got the dry heaves - it was pretty awful. My surgeon said it can happen, I didn't do anything to cause it that I can see but my stomach is super tender now.

As far as signs go, this morning I felt so bad that I wished I had seen a sign to stop me pre op - but now I'm feeling better . . . it isn't easy though, at least not what I thought going in. I go back to work tomorrow, hope I wake up ready to go!!

I'm sorry you are running into these blocks, maybe the timing will be better when things fall into place - it's hard to just let things happen the way they do, for me at least!! Keep your chin up, it'll happen and in the long run a few weeks won't make any difference since with the band it's a slow journey. I'll keep pulling for you!!