Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 days post-op and boy it hurts...

hi,im 2 days post op and noone told me it would hurt this much.i cant walk up straight because my port hurts so much,and if i take pain relievers,it feels like it gets stuck in my throat somewhere.

it hurts to burp,it hurts to yawn,it hurts to walk and i have bad diarreaha,but hopefully it gets better.

did this happen to anyone else?

cindie

Yes. I felt that way for a good week or so after my surgery. I'm 3 weeks out now and painwise I barely feel any unless I twist the wrong way and feel it at the port site. It hurt me to do ANYTHING. Are you crushing your pain pill? Also get some chewable gas-x and chew them really well or some gas-x strips. They do work. Make sure you're getting in enough fluids too, I was readmitted 3 days after my surgery for dehydration. It does get better!

i know you prob wont feel like it, but try & walk as much as you can, keep moving around, it will help..have you tried liquid pain killers? wont get stuck in your throat like tablets can, i must have been one of the lucky ones, i was only sore for cuple days, no pain though, or gas in shoulders, & try to keep sipping Water throughout the day this will help with dehydration & diarreaha..good luck, it will all be worth it..

I know it's rough - but you had a pretty decent surgery.

I was hurting for about 5 days, mostly the gas end... but it gets better.

Liquid tylenol works wonders. GasX... I was not as impressed as others.

thankyou so much,its good to know its not going to last forever!!,..the pain is slowly easing each day but its still sitting on about 5 out of 10 on the pain threshhold,i will try to crush up my painkillers because at the moment im not taking any and i think that has a lot to do with the way im feeling.

thanks heaps guys

I was banded 9/4/07 and was miserable for 2 weeks. I was back in the hospital 2 times because of dehydration. I had terrible diarrhea also and had pain no matter what I did. I didn't find the gas x really worked, but did find that walking, even around my living room, did ease the gas. Believe it or not, doing the downward dog yoga pose also helps pass the gas out! I know it sounds crazy but I had gotten it off of this very website and was at the end of my rope. It works! Hang in there. You'll look back and be happy that you pushed through!

I was banded on 1/19:thumbup: and I was the same way. I have liquid pain medication, you may want to call your doctor. The only thing that seemed to really help me was my heating pad, when I used it I felt great and could get up and move around. I am just starting to feel really good now 10 days out. Hang in there it will get better...congrads on your band!

Im 3days post-op and today feels better than yesterday, still having some minor problems with wind (gas) especially in my back and when I burp it is also sore.

Its been helpful reading others comments and some of the remedies you have tried. Getting really bored with liquid

Taking each day as it comes.

I was banded on 1/29 and just had a little diarrhea as well...is that common? I thought Constipation was normally the issue??

I am not feeling much pain at all, just a little when a burp or passing gas is coming,but it just lasts for a little while.

Hang in there...in a couple of months,we will not even remember this first couple of weeks!

Kristil

I was 1/20, and the heating pad was a wonder, but I was burping all the time and was very sore. sleeping sitting in a recliner for 5 days really kept me sane, though everytime I woke up I tried to walk, and it really helped to dispell the gas throughout the day and night. I did liquid pain meds and liquid tylenol, and gas-x, but I found Maalox chewables to be better. I still have the shoulder pain now, though almost 2 weeks later.

I had my surg 1/29 also. Today seems the worse for gas pain. It's in my belly and chest mostly. I just passed some but everytime I eat or drink the gas stirs up. I'm going to send hubby out to get me some Gas X and a heating pad :thumbup:

hi,im 2 days post op and noone told me it would hurt this much.i cant walk up straight because my port hurts so much,and if i take pain relievers,it feels like it gets stuck in my throat somewhere.

it hurts to burp,it hurts to yawn,it hurts to walk and i have bad diarreaha,but hopefully it gets better.

did this happen to anyone else?

cindie

First, I would ask my doc for liquid Loritab and a pill for naseau (can't spell). The pill is tiny, but you can break it in half if you have to. I take that pill and a pepcid pill prescribed by doc and I dont have any trouble with getting them stuck. You need some good pain meds though.

If you feel a burp or yawn coming on, hold a pillow to your belly. THis works for coughing as well.

You have to walk.

Take two disposable gas-x strips every 6 hours.

Diarreahha--my doc told me to expect that. I don't know if what I have going down in the poop shoot is diarreahha, but I have learned never to trust a fart. :thumbup:

I assume you are on a liquid diet, which would make sense why you have liquid coming out :lol:

This too shall pass!!!! Hang on.

Hi Cindi, I Had My Surgery Jan.28,09 I'm doing good the only problem I'm having is my left shoulder toward the back hurts. On my stomach it not hurting to bad I stop my pain medicine today I'm gong to start the full liquid part of the post op tomorrow.

Makula - Your post made me crack up!

I have had horrible gas today. Sent hubby out for Gas X and a heating pad. It seemed to help break the gas up so I could get it out.

My doc gave me Tylenol with codeine. I'm going to take 2 when I go to bed. It helped me get comfy last night.

3 days banded and I'm a little sore. I had to go in for an un-fill yesterday because Water was gurggling as it went down. I still have pressue even on this liquid diet. Protein Shakes are too thick. I still have trapped gas behind my left shoulder. I am wondering if my band is still too tight or if I'm swollen?