Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you douche?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Do you douche?

• Yes
    • No
    • I used to, but don't anymore.

So Ebony, what are you using in your douche?

I saw a new doctor today who is into alternative medicine.

He told me to put he probiotic capsule into my vagina and that all this time taking it by mouth was not doing anything. I don't know if I agree with that though, because I notice that if I feel the burning of a yeast infection, it's better after taking the probiotic. I will still

do as he says tonight before bed, as I have another urinary tract infection.

Sorry for the delay in my reply...I use a mild vinegar-and-Water solution, but infrequently. Oddly enough, only once after my cycle, and occasionally after sex, because sometimes I don't like the smell of semen afterwards...like the next morning after night fun...

I have found that I don't have as many challenges now that I douche less often. If your doctor is recommending something for you, though, I'd trust him until you don't get the results you want. My mom used to say "They don't make a prosthesis for eyes" meaning that you should take your eye doctor's advice before trying something on your own. I would say your reproductive system is the same - no prosthesis for that, so trust your gyn until they give you reason not to...

There are holistic / natural remedies for UTI's, ask your doctor if there is something you should change in your eating plan (I hate the word diet) to help you prevent them.

Good luck...I hope all works out and your next post is to say you are perfectly healthy! :thumbup:

I agree. DON"T DOUCHE!!! for UTIs there are a few other things you can try. Drink cranberry juice every day. Doesn't have to be a lot. One glass will do. NOT Ocean Spray juice "Cocktail". It MUST be 100% unsweetened juice. It acts like an astringent to the bladder. The acid in it makes in near impossible for the bacteria to cling to the lining of the bladder. This way it doesn't collect and multiply. Drink lots of Water before sex. Makes it a bit uncomfortable, but it also helps you pee and flush the urethra afterwards. Also rinse and wash immediately afterward. Yes....pain in the ass I know, but it helps. (I invested in some of those little peri-bottles like you get at the hospital after you've had a baby) Avoid harsh soaps "down there". You want to avoid irritation of any kind. Again, the bacteria can't collect and multiply. Do this ESPECIALLY if you use things like Astroglide etc. or engage in oral sex. Avoid feminine hygiene "deoderant sprays" and baby powder down there. Drink a lot of water during the day. Wear cotton crotch panties during the day and don't sleep with panties to allow it to "breathe". Avoid pantyhose if you can, espeicially in the heat of the summer. Eat yogurt or pro-biotic or take acidophilus daily. My doctor recommended all these things and I thought he was a kook. But over time, the infections got less and less, and now I haven't had one in years.

Funny thing is I already do most of this stuff other than the peri bottle. I haven't worn pantihose in years!

I have been diagnosed with interstitial cystitis and have been told not to drink cranberry juice as the acid is too harsh for my bladder. The D Mannose has whatever is in cranberry juice, with out the acid.

since I started getting up in the middle of the night to take my probiotic, it's made a difference. Someone at the health food store told me it has to be taken on a completely empty stomach. I haven't had a yeast infection in awhile now. I have to take a low dose anti biotic before sex though and I see the urologist again on

the 15th .

Oregondaisy, if you are having problems with yeast infections, I can think of 2 things that no-one has mentioned so far.

1) Put half a cup of vinegar into a bath of hot/warm Water and sit and soak for a while - practice your Kegels while you're in there to flush yourself. The relief is immediate and quite long lasting.

2) Avoid soft cheeses like camembert and brie.

Other suggestions already mentioned, such as taking the pro-biotics and applying natural unsweetened yogurt also work well.

I agree. DON"T DOUCHE!!! for UTIs there are a few other things you can try. Drink cranberry juice every day. Doesn't have to be a lot. One glass will do. NOT Ocean Spray juice "Cocktail". It MUST be 100% unsweetened juice. It acts like an astringent to the bladder. The acid in it makes in near impossible for the bacteria to cling to the lining of the bladder.

Where can you buy cranberry juice like that? I drink cranberry juice, but I've never seen any that was 100% unsweetened.

Where can you buy cranberry juice like that? I drink cranberry juice, but I've never seen any that was 100% unsweetened.

You're going to have to read labels. Any 100% fruit juice is going to have sugar in it, b/c fruit naturally does but what you're looking for in the ingredients is no ADDED sugars.

If you look just at the NI, it's going to list say, 18 grams of sugar, but if you read the ingredients, it may just say 100% cranberry juice. That's okay.

If you look at the NI and it says 18 grams of sugar but then you look at the ingredients and it says, juice, sugar or high fructose corn Syrup, etc. then you don't want that one.

So by saying 100% UNsweetened, that just means no ADDED sugar. Anymore these days you can't read only the front label or the NI. You've got to read the ingredients listed. Takes more time but it's become important to do these days. Especially, if like me, you're trying to eat "cleaner" and cut a lot of the added garbage out. It's hard.

Just found this thread...

I still douche - but only after my period ends. I hate the end-of-period smell! TMI Alert - I also douche after more "active" periods of sex, because depending on what my DH eats, his semen smells funny after we have sex. Not the same day, but the next day...if we're going at it like bunnies, I find I WANT to do it more, but an external wash with soap and Water will usually take care of it.

I know this is an old post but I learned something about the funny smell of me mixing with my husband last year from my doctor. At my regular appt my doctor told me I had a bacterial infection. I had no symptoms so I had no idea. It turns out I had one symptom I just never put two and two together.

After my husband and I made love the next day his semen smelled kind of funny in me, and I noticed that same funny smell when I used soap to wash that area. Come to find out soap changes the Ph of discharge and changing the Ph of a sample of your discharge is how they diagnose the bacterial infection. Now I know if that smell returns or I smell it when using soap I head to the doctor.

(Not saying Ebony has this just some TMI info for everyone)

Oh and I don't douche but have before. It seems like it takes days after your period to get "clean" again. Ugh.

DowninSoCal - I know...no offense meant, and definately none taken! ;)

That's an interesting fact...I'm very sensitive to smells, so I notice the least little change "down there"...and I'm a quick one to call the doc if I suspect something.

I had some challenges when I was younger (pre-menstruation) so I'm very watchful. I also find I like to feel "fresh" and soap and Water do the trick for me. I was never one for scented sprays and such...I only douched because my mom (a nurse) told me to...;) Just goes to show that time passes and things can definately change...

And it's a good thing we've got LBT to help us navigate the changes we're all going through with the band!:D

No kidding. Thank God for LBT!

Thank you Alex!

Never have, never will.

There is an over the counter product by the people that make the UTI prevention medicine (AZO i think?) that is to help prevent yeast infections. Also, there are a lot of women that swear by yogurt to end yeast infections.

This may be a stupid question, but I've always wondered how you treat an yeast infection w/yogurt? Does one eat it or 'apply' it? If it's eating the yogurt, then it it would seem to lead back to Probiotics as many yogurts have acidophiles in them.

I douche with vinegar and water(in the box) about once a month, usually after my cycle. Knock on wood but I have never had a yeast infection, but i do include a lot of yogurt in my diets, mainly because I don't like to cook Breakfast. I have been douching for over 10 years now, and maybe if something happens to me I will stop, but it such a clean feeling to douche after a cycle, or heavy sexual activity.

I can't even take a bubble bath without getting an infection! UGH. So no, I don't douche because I've heard that it causes infections. But my vajayjay is just fine and have never had any complaints or problems! :thumbup:

Years ago I kept having reoccuring yeast infections. The Dr. said that my husband and I kept giving it to each other....so he treated us both and it worked! He also told me to douche with plain yogurt mixed into warm Water. Haven't had an infection in ages.

Hope this info is not too out-dated!!!