Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you douche?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Do you douche?

• Yes
    • No
    • I used to, but don't anymore.

My last suggestion would be to make sure that you get up and used the bathroom to flush your urethra after sex. I remember a GYN telling me to do that years ago. I am sorry that you continue to have issues.

Well, I am so glad this is somewhat confidential and I am so glad this is here...

I grew up not knowing what that bag was hanging in mom's bathroom. Mom did not tell me about the birds and bees, o, wait, she did say that, "if a boy touches you when you are on your period, you'll get pregnant." So wrong! Then I married at a young age, not really knowing anything (except I was pregnant, guess he touched me at the wrong time). He tells me about douching (most embarrassing moment of my life!). So then I start to buy them every time I bought tampons.

Then fast forward quite a few years, single again and to earn money, I was a dancer (yes, that kind). I was super paranoid about smells, especially since certain girls had nicknames based on scents. So I douched religiously at least 2x a week. Once had a Dr. ask me why I did so often, did I smell bad? No, just paranoid.

Now I know better, but old habits are hard to break. I do but no where near as often, probably only few times a year, it's been decreasing, which I guess is a good thing.

Say does anyone know if the PH of the vagina is supposed to acid or alkaline? Somebody told me if the PH is off, it's easier to get yeast infections. I would need to use either vineggar or baking soda depending on if my ph was wrong.

Say does anyone know if the PH of the vagina is supposed to acid or alkaline? Somebody told me if the PH is off, it's easier to get yeast infections. I would need to use either vineggar or baking soda depending on if my ph was wrong.

I've heard that too but it was a looong time ago and I can't remember the details. Did you try to google it?

Yea, I tried to google it and it said to douche with

pure yogurt with no sugar added with live bacteria.

The yeast that causes yeast infections is Candida albicans (it also causes thrush). It is a normal microorganism that inhabits the human body. It feeds on sugar, so consuming a lot of sugar increases your chances of yeast overgrowth (ie: yeast infection).

Another normal microorganism that inhabits the human body are a type of bacteria called lactobacillus, of which there are multiple species. These bacteria convert sugars into acid, which does 2 things to prevent yeast infections.

1. It competes with the Candida for the sugar in your body. If the lactobacillus gets it, that means the yeast doesn't have anything to eat.

2. It creates acid, which lowers the pH of the area the bacteria are inhabiting. As an acid producer, the bacteria has mechanisms for living in an acidic environment, the yeast does not. So the increased acidity kills off the yeast.

You have to use plain, unsweetened yogurt since sugared yogurt would just feed the yeast and throw off the balance even farther. But introducing even a little yogurt with live cultures into your body will help keep the yeast in check and helps restore the good bacteria populations.

If you don't like the idea of putting yogurt in your private parts, look into Probiotics, which often include lactobacillus species. You can take some of them orally and some of them you can get as vaginal suppositories.

Edited to add: Applying vinegar directly is a bad idea since it is acidic enough (even at a 4% over the counter solution) to really irritate the delicate mucosal membranes of the vaginal tract.

I do take Probiotics. I get up in the middle of the night and take them since I was told to take them on an empty stomach. I wake up anyway, so it's a good time to take them.

Just found this thread...

I still douche - but only after my period ends. I hate the end-of-period smell! TMI Alert - I also douche after more "active" periods of sex, because depending on what my DH eats, his semen smells funny after we have sex. Not the same day, but the next day...if we're going at it like bunnies, I find I WANT to do it more, but an external wash with soap and Water will usually take care of it.

I find it interesting that there is advice NOT to do it...my mom was a Nurse and she recommended it to me because she did it. Not sure there was a medical backing for it back then, and by the postings here, there isn't one now.

Because I'm a type II diabetic, I am more prone to yeast infections, but when my blood sugar is under control, I have no problems and since being banded, I haven't had a single one.

So Ebony, what are you using in your douche?

I saw a new doctor today who is into alternative medicine.

He told me to put he probiotic capsule into my vagina and that all this time taking it by mouth was not doing anything. I don't know if I agree with that though, because I notice that if I feel the burning of a yeast infection, it's better after taking the probiotic. I will still

do as he says tonight before bed, as I have another urinary tract infection.

I have a roman arm in my tub and flush myself with it every day. Works as well as douche without all the side effects.

It's basically a shower head with flexible tubing. It's great in the bath for rinsing after a bath.

do not douche it messes up your natural way of cleansing yourself your body has a way of taking care of itself your introducing bacteria when you do it its true older women do it but they didn't know any better now we do stop it now.