Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How many banders can eat bread without problems? How much and when?

What if any bread items can you eat without any discomfort  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What if any bread items can you eat without any discomfort

• None-tried it once will never try it again
    • Little-tried a little not horrible but uncomfortable
    • OK-can eat bread and/or bread products with few problems
    • As much as I want-Never had a problem with bread with the band

Great posts! Thanks for being so open & honest. I absolutely will give up white bread and everything else I'm suppose to on the band, but to know that occasionally I can tolerate even a taste of pizza or dinner roll again is all I need. :biggrin:

I can eat everything. I have good restriction (5.5cc in a 10cc band). I have found tho that I don't eat as much bread as I used to. Weird. Before band, I loved bread, now, could care less. Of course I haven't been presented with a warm loaf of good sourdough yet so we'll see. That was always my favorite!

I don't understand your comment of "I absolutely will give up white bread and everything else I'm suppose to on the band." The only thing I've HAD to give up is carbonated drinks. Once off your surgeon's post-op diet you should be able to eat what you want/can depending on your restriction.

It's not a matter of dieting anymore. It's about living a healthy lifestyle and eating small portions of mostly healthy foods. I eat a well-balanced diet w/lots of veggies. I also like my cheeseburgers and pizza once in awhile too. I just don't eat them in the quantities I used too! LOL!

Oh the only problem food I've found is pork (ex: chops, loin, etc.) b/c it takes a lot of chewing and I get tired of chewing it! But it's not b/c of restriction.

Oh and white bread is the only bread for peanut butter! LOL! :biggrin:

I am so jealous of those of you who can eat bread. It has been the hardest part of this process for me. I crave a hamburger and pizza almost daily. I know that my love of bread will never go away but the more weight I lose the easier it is to look at myself and say it is so worth it.

I can eat bread. I just have to go slow and easy. IF I feel like it's going down VERY slowly, I know I'm nearly full, and should stop.

teri

I haven't been filled yet, but I do feel some restriction. I can take a bun on a sandwich if I take small enough bites and chew a lot. It helps if the bun is moist with Condiments or sauces.< /p>

I know I am the exception to the rule. I don't have any trigger foods -

As far as bread, I do have to take it slower than I used to, but that is nothing, since I in general used to eat like a pig. I have to take everthing slower than I used to. That is why I got the band in the first place... to make me eat less, and slow down.

But in and of itself, bread is fine with me.

I have given up bread completely. I do eat brown rice and have no trouble with it. Since my surgery bread or anything with gluten in it gives me awful belly pain and gas that makes me wish I would just go ahead and get it over with and die. My doctor feels my band has unmasked a gluten intolerance. I find the more I go without it, the less I miss it. There's nothing bread gives me that I can't get from other sources.

Edited by gentylwind

I can normally eat bread and toast, however, last week I had a South Beach pizza and experienced what I consider to be a "stuck" feeling. It did go away eventually. I may have eaten it too fast. I have 4 ccs in a Realize band.

I can definately eat bread. Actually I can tolerate anything. I'm not sure how I would feel if I had to give something up because the band wouldn't allow me to have it. I probably would have lost weight faster. I'm not a real fan of thinking anything is off limits. If I crave it, I have it. This keeps me from overindulging. It's funny how the band works so differently for everyone. Goes to show there is no one right or wrong answer to any lap band question.

I haven't been filled yet, but I do feel some restriction. I can take a bun on a sandwich if I take small enough bites and chew a lot. It helps if the bun is moist with Condiments or sauces.

I haven't been filled yet either which for me means I can eat bread (have had 1 slice - no problem), biscuit (have had 1 - no problem), pizza (twice - PB on first because I ate too fast and ate a bite of crust. 2nd time - no problem). I hope once I get filled and feel restriction that I won't be able to tolerate these foods as they have been my downfall most of my life.

banded 12/16/2008

down 36 lbs with miles to go before I sleep

I can definately eat bread. Actually I can tolerate anything. I'm not sure how I would feel if I had to give something up because the band wouldn't allow me to have it. I probably would have lost weight faster. I'm not a real fan of thinking anything is off limits. If I crave it, I have it. This keeps me from overindulging. It's funny how the band works so differently for everyone. Goes to show there is no one right or wrong answer to any lap band question.

Same exact way here--I am worlds worst at being told I cannot have something, then that is all I focus on, and in the end I always binged on it. Now I take it in small doses, and keep healthy eating foremost in my mind as opposed to thinking no bread, no Pasta......

The only flaw I see in the poll, is that how you answer the question today, may be totally different than how you answer tomorrow. Restriction varies so much. For women the restriction will change depending upon your monthly cycle, some get super tight, and have to change the way they eat during that time.

I have a friend who is banded and he is a firefighter. He said days after he does hose exercises, and things that really give his abs a workout, he is really tight, and cannot tolerate any breads or meat. Other days he can eat anything!

When you are allowed to eat post op, just follow the rules....VERY small bites, chew, chew, chew, then pause between bites for a few minutes, not a few seconds---let yourself have a chance to see how it feels before it is too late, and you are hurting. Proceed if there are no problems.

Because while it is good to hear of others experiences, none of them will be guaranteed to be yours! Everyone seems to be and react differently!

Good Luck

Kat

I can eat bread. I don't very often, but I still can. I have a piece of toast from time to time. On occasion I have bread at a restaurant, but very small piece. I don't eat much because I don't want to fill up on bread, I want food :scared2:.

Last Friday was my first fill. My doctor asked me if I had problems with bread and I told him I was afraid to try bread, Pasta or rice. He told me my body needs the type of carbs from whole wheat bread. He suggested I try thin sliced bread and toast it. I bought Weight Watchers whole wheat bread and tried it. Went down fine but I cut it in very small pieces. I haven't tried the ricee or pasta yet. I was a really heavy carb eater before surgery but really don't miss them anymore. I loved the bread at Carabas and rolls from Betrucci. Could do major damage there!!

I have weird cravings now...like cesar salads, steamed brocolli and cheese, refried Beans with salsa.