Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How many banders can eat bread without problems? How much and when?

What if any bread items can you eat without any discomfort  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What if any bread items can you eat without any discomfort

• None-tried it once will never try it again
    • Little-tried a little not horrible but uncomfortable
    • OK-can eat bread and/or bread products with few problems
    • As much as I want-Never had a problem with bread with the band

My GNC carries several sizes of papaya enzymes. I purchased a purse size pack to carry for "just in case" times.

OMG, I have the same cravings! In fact today, I literally told my husband I couldn't wait to have a chicken caesar salad, and today I had refried Beans..LOL. Sadly, I'm craving pizza and garlic bread the most...grrrr

I'm not allowed to try bread yet but I thank you for all of your feedback. I can try bread this coming week and was told to buy thin bread and toast it well. I am hoping in the future that I can have english muffins even if it's less than one. I like them more than regular bread.

As far as cravings go I want a salad any salad will do right about now. My DH also has clementines here and it takes everything to keep me from eating one.

I have very few problems with bread/grains. Tortillas have been my "go to" bread type food. Toasted breads are easier, but I haven't had a sandwich since being banded in October. I have very little restriction, and can eat thin crust pizze without issue. . . Rice and Pasta haven't been challenging, but I don't miss them like I do actual bread.

Muffins, cornbread, and biscuits were not a favorite for me before surgery, so I haven't tried them post-op.

I am 1 yr post-op. I eat 2 slices of Whole Wheat daily, one with my yogurt/cereal and one with dinner. The harder rolls like sour dough do not work well. If I eat cornbread or muffins, it has to be tiny bites and chew till liquid. I don't eat any white bread or white rice or Pasta unless it is a wheat blend or brown rice. That stuff will lump up if you eat too much, usually a spoonful is plenty. I had a really bad time once with a pinch of a wheat roll and suffered for about 3 hours. Not something I want to repeat, especially now that I have 8.5 cc in a 10 cc band. I normally eat a meal about every 4-6 hours, sometimes a snack, sometimes not.

LOve my band:tongue2:

This is a great thread. I can not eat bread unless it is toasted then only a few bites. However, I can eat crackers and crutons. I can't eat Pizza Crust or cake either and am kind of glad. I will always be a stress eater and without my band would be right back where I started.

i have had a little bread, and seem to be fine. I just made sure that I chewed it well enough. I can't seem to give up a Peanut Butter and jelly sandwhich, def a weakness of mine. I just make a half a one now.

coos coos hurts!!! otherwise haven't had any issues, i do try a piece of whole grain toast once in a while....no crust.

Well, since my last fill this past Tuesday, looks like I need to change my vote! I got stuck on Ciabatta bread yesterday. Hurt like a dickens! First bite of my sandwich too! I ended up hurting the rest of the day. Stayed on hot tea and Soup the remainder of the day. This AM after more hot tea, I was able to get some egg salad down but got stuck on my Gummy Vitamin. Didn't chew it enough. Seems I'm just going to have to be very careful now. And I can't get ciabatta bread chewed enough to get it through. DD had a Peanut Butter and jelly sandwich and I took a little bite and that bread seems okay. I can chew that enough.

So after 6 months, I have now found something I can't have. We'll see if there's anything else as I try different things since this last fill. I'm up to 5.75 in a 10cc band.

It was weird tho b/c Wednesday and Thursday, it was like I hadn't gotten another fill. Friday, I found my fill! LOL!

I wish it was harder for me to eat breads. I was banded on January 17 and just ate my first piece of pizza last night...with the crust. No problems whatsover. I'm hoping that my first fill will provide me with some restriction. I don't seem to have any right now. I seem to be able to eat anything and I'm hungry all the time.

I wish it was harder for me to eat breads. I was banded on January 17 and just ate my first piece of pizza last night...with the crust. No problems whatsover. I'm hoping that my first fill will provide me with some restriction. I don't seem to have any right now. I seem to be able to eat anything and I'm hungry all the time.

Hang in there. You were just banded and it's going to take time. I'm 6 months out and am just now up to 5.75. I didn't start feeling restriction until the last couple of fills. I now have full restriction. It may take some time to find your sweet spot.

I'm ok with not being able to eat one particular type of bread but if I find that I'm not able to eat a lot of different things, I'll go get a slight unfill. I don't want to be so tight that I have to worry about every bite I take. That's not what I signed up for. I signed up to eat smaller portions in order to lose weight and get healthier NOT be on another diet that deprives me of anything.

All in moderation.

Question for you. When I was less than a month out from surgery, I couldn't have been eating a piece of pizza. My surgeon didn't advance me that fast. I was still on soft foods. What is your surgeon's food plan like? Every surgeon is so different, I find it interesting.

Best wishes!!

Thanks for the encouraging words. I did cheat by having pizza the other night. But, for the most part, I've stuck to my doctor's plan. I'm on mushies right now. I'm going to try to not cheat any more. My first fill is planned for Feb. 26. I hope I can make it.

Please don't cheat. I know it's hard!

Right now is the time for healing. Don't try to lose weight right now. Eat when you're hungry and only when you're hungry. Eat as healthy as you can. Start exercising if you haven't started already. Even just walking, get moving.

The reason for the special diet right now is so you can heal. You have to be gentle with your new stomach while it heals. The sutures need to get settled and the band needs to seat in it's new place.

Hang in there.