Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am new and have not been banded yet. :wink2: I have a goal of 6lbs to loose and than ready to see my surgion.

I originally was thinking of having the Gastric Surgury, but now am thinking of having the band now. I have a sister in law that has decided on the band and spoke to me alot about the two. I am now confussed, I desided on the Gastric surgury becuase I am very interested in getting off the many medications I am currently taking and fast, becuase my liver is not doing well at all and I want to wake up one morning and feel good and my energy level move up. You see I had a stroke August 2005 and my health took a turn for the worst. My sister in law explained I would be able to get off the meds with the band as well just not as soon and she explained I will have many more restrictions with Gastric Surgury than I would with the Band. I read alot of the stories from other patients and I am turning towards the band, but I have heard alot of stories explaining the are able to continue eating the same portions without feeling fool. I know I have to loose the weight in order to improve my health, so I may get off all my medication. Please help me and explain if it is true the eating amount doesnt change and the visits to the doctor to add solution to your band, is it often or will I experience a time where I will feel comfortable and loose weight. Please give me your opinions about the the surguries I am very confussed as to what surgury I should get. Appreicate your thoughts and opinions.

You definatly need to go to a free seminar on Gastric surgeries in general, they will explain all your choices and answer any questions you have. It is very informative and My DR would not schedule my first consult appt til I went to the class. Then if you have more questiosn they can answer them for you and make sure to take someone with you.

Also the Surgeon will take all of your history into consideration and tell you which would be the best option for you. They do say that once the weight starts coming off most people can get off of meds. there are side effects of the bypass and you will always have to take chewable vitamins with any of the surgeries.Good Luck, I hope all goes well for you and also check with your insurance to see what and if they will cover for you.

For me.....I was told I wasn't big enough for gastric. I went with the band and I am so glad I did. It is a decision that you should discuss further with your dr. or when you go to a seminar. My seminar discussed both and there were 1 person from each wls to discuss there journey. Do as much research as you can and ask lots of questions here and with your dr. Good Luck

You definatly need to go to a free seminar on Gastric surgeries in general, they will explain all your choices and answer any questions you have. It is very informative and My DR would not schedule my first consult appt til I went to the class. Then if you have more questiosn they can answer them for you and make sure to take someone with you.

Also the Surgeon will take all of your history into consideration and tell you which would be the best option for you. They do say that once the weight starts coming off most people can get off of meds. there are side effects of the bypass and you will always have to take chewable Vitamins with any of the surgeries.Good Luck, I hope all goes well for you and also check with your insurance to see what and if they will cover for you.

thank you for your reply. I have gone to free sit in Seminars and most had Gastric surgury and were very happy with there decission. I did not get to actually speak to anyone who has had the Band, do you have any suggestions of classes where I might meet more who have had the Band so I may ask questions.

For me.....I was told I wasn't big enough for gastric. I went with the band and I am so glad I did. It is a decision that you should discuss further with your dr. or when you go to a seminar. My seminar discussed both and there were 1 person from each wls to discuss there journey. Do as much research as you can and ask lots of questions here and with your dr. Good Luck

Thank you so much for your reply. I went to a couple free seminars and the attendies were Gastric patients only, so I have not been able to speak with anyone who has had the lap band. I originally was all for the Gastric becuase I loved the idea all my medication will be gone and my liver results will improve. I am now to small for Gastric but my doctor said she is going with my original weigh in. I recently spoke with my sister in law and she is all for the Band. After speaking with my sister in law I was going towards the Band, becuase my meds will go away eventually, the weight will come off and I wont be so limited on my food plan, i would have be portioned what I was eating. I realize Vitamins will always be a must becuase of the amount of food I will be consuming, I will not get the fool amount of nuritment needed.

Please tell me when you first got your Band did you see a change in portion needed to satisfy yourself? and do you see you are needing to make frequent trips to the doctor for ceiling refills and check ups? are you comfortable with your lap band, can you feel it? I may have more questions for you and I hope you dont mind. i really appreciate you take the time to give me some feed back. Personally I think i need to go to a couple more seminars, becuase I am really close to having my appointment with my surguon, 5lbs close.

Thank you