Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

my 'onewish' is i had never had it done!

:wink2:

Hi all,

i have read so many good stories here that i almost do not want to post this, but i need to know if anyone else is having endless problems to the point of wishing you had cancelled!

i had my banding done on the 5th Dec and have not yet been able to go back to work, my husband has not yet been able to work a full week and my poor kids have had the crappiest school holidays and christmas ever!!

My banding was 'a success' with no complications....until a week later i started bleeding from the port site, i rang my surgeon and was refered to my GP who said all was ok, a week later i still had blood coming from the site, another GP, another 'your fine'. By new years day i had liquid pooring out of the site, finally i was given a script for antibiotics for the infection, the next day i collapsed at home and was admitted for 3 days on an IV then sent home with 7 days of antibiotics, 4 days later they were booking me in for a port removal, the tubing from the band to the port was being pushed out from my body, the room would spin daily while i had to clean & dress the wound waiting another 5 days to have surgery........i was soooo scared.

i had the port removed on a wed 'another success' but ended up in cardiac care due to a low pulse, needed a trace done and an ultrasound of my heart....all was fine. Thursday was time to go home again, i mentioned i was having severe pain in the lower abdomen but was assured it was gas and would disperse in 48 hrs...it didnt, i rang the surgeon on the friday and was told by her nurse that its not a band issue, she is not a uroligist (i mentioned that maybe it was a urinary tract infection) so YET AGAIN i am being pushed from GP to surgeon, all has shown up fine on the ultrasound so i am wondering what the hell is going on now???

Does anyone maybe suffer from IBS which is triggered by the surgery.......im grabbing at straws.....im desperate! and in pain!! on the up side i have lost 12 kg:thumbup: however if anymore surgery is needed its going!

i sound soooo negative but im so frusterated, angry, upset and in pain.....guess i am looking for some answers and support:blush:

I know little, as I will not be banded until 3/03, but it seems to me you are entitled to be negative in this case. In my opinion, you have received unacceptable care. I encourage you to insist upon being treated respectfully. Are you in USA or a socialized medacine country?

I know little, as I will not be banded until 3/03, but it seems to me you are entitled to be negative in this case. In my opinion, you have received unacceptable care. I encourage you to insist upon being treated respectfully. Are you in USA or a socialized medacine country?

i am in Australia, i know plenty of people that have had it done with no probs....

i agree about the care, i really liked my Surgeon but its the whole after care-or lack of that sucks.

i hope all goes well for you, are you nervous?

i had already cancelled once!

good luck and thanks for the reply:smile:

I am so sorry to learn of the problems you have had. I have never heard of anyone having problems like those you describe before so can't offer any advice, just wanted to say I hope things improve for you soon and you make a full recovery.

I had my initial consultation with the surgeon as well as my psych evaluation last Wednesday. Now waiting for insurance approval, then meet with anesthatist, nutitionist and surgeon again before surgery.

To be honest, I do have a bit of apprahention, but I am confdent in my medical staff and have heard great things about them. My journey has taken about a year to date, so I am ready.

I certainly wish you well in getting better. You will find a lot of support here. Best wishes.

i have another appt in the morning, full bloods this time, fingers crossed it shows something, also going to try going back to liquids for a few days, just as well i enjoy Soup *L*

I wish you luck too. I am glad you shared your story, it helps to learn the good and the bad about this procedure. I hope things get better for you soon.

hope you dont mind me asking...you said that they have removed the port tubing, did they replace it? are you still able to have your band fills.

i think that going back to liquids is a wise move. it may help to put down everything you feel isnt right. note it all down over 24 hours say; just incase the drs are missing some of your symptoms as these could provide vital clues. good luck hope you soon get sorted

I am so sorry you are having a difficult time. I hope you get some relief fast.

To me though, in your post, it sounds like the surgeon's office is short on listening ability. That's so unfortunate. I hope the communication opens up a little better and you can get this resolved.

I am wishing you all the best.

hope you dont mind me asking...you said that they have removed the port tubing, did they replace it? are you still able to have your band fills.

i think that going back to liquids is a wise move. it may help to put down everything you feel isnt right. note it all down over 24 hours say; just incase the drs are missing some of your symptoms as these could provide vital clues. good luck hope you soon get sorted

hi choosichick

no i dont mind you asking :thumbup: i have no port so i cant have my first fill done, they had to remove it because my body could not tell the difference between the port and infection, so the port came out and the tubing was pushed to an 'infection free zone' to be retrieved in 3 months time (HA) and connected to a new port, hen i assume i will have to wait a few weeks more before i get my first fill......frustrating.

Thanks SunnyRachel, yes i agree, i have however made the decision that i will not speak to their nurse any longer, i will just keep ringing until i get to speak with the surgeons!!

woke up to another kg gone this morning so that has started the day well:smile:

I am so sorry you are having a difficult time. I hope you get some relief fast.

To me though, in your post, it sounds like the surgeon's office is short on listening ability. That's so unfortunate. I hope the communication opens up a little better and you can get this resolved.

I am wishing you all the best.

I am sorry it has been such a rough road so far. Hopefully the infection will resolve itself and it will be smooth sailing in the future.

Congratulations on the kg's lost . . . if it weren't for the infection and the pain it would have been smooth sailing by now. I hope you are feeling much better very soon.

onewish,

I hope you get well soon! Whatever you decide, take good care of yourself.

Lil

hi choosichick

no i dont mind you asking :thumbup: i have no port so i cant have my first fill done, they had to remove it because my body could not tell the difference between the port and infection, so the port came out and the tubing was pushed to an 'infection free zone' to be retrieved in 3 months time (HA) and connected to a new port, hen i assume i will have to wait a few weeks more before i get my first fill......frustrating.

Perhaps it's because of a difference in locale for the infection, but I had an infection due to the surgeon accidentally puncturing or burning my stomach while installing the band, and she insisted that ALL banding equipment be removed until the infection was cleared up and all inflammation was resolved. So I was disbanded a week after my first surgery, then was kept in the hospital on broad spectrum antibiotics and anti-fungals for 10 days (total stay was 2 weeks). She said that once there's an infection that the bacteria can use the band equipment as a lattice work and that antibiotics aren't effective against that since it isn't part of your body, so she removes EVERYTHING, waits until the infection has resolved, and then waits at least 6 months for your body to end any inflammatory processes before re-banding.

For me, it's been 6 months, and I'll probably chat with her soon about a 2nd band.

Good luck, but I think given your pain and history, you might want to discuss removing the band and really working to knock out any residual infections (which can be anywhere in your body).

All the best,

Hunzi