Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Get It Going

Hey all,

I've been keeping busy reading all the posts in here on PCOS. I see that one hasn't been posted for so long! Any newer members having lap-band who also have PCOS? I'm still in the pre-stages of appointments to get approved for lap-band. I was wondering...has anyone had a hard time getting approved for lap-band because of PCOS? At my surgeon's seminar the other day, she was saying how women w/PCOS do better on gastric bypass than on lap-band. I'm pretty set on getting a band and NOT bypass, but just curiouse if anyone else was told that?

I have never heard that PCOS people do better with bypass. I have PCOS and I have done great. I have lost 76 pounds in seven months. PCOS did not affect my approval process and the surgery has allowed to to get off my Metformin. My cycle is normal, my skin is back to normal, my blood sugars...my PCOS is gone.

Yes, it makes sense when the doctors say that women with PCOS (and diabetics) are usually more successful with gastric bypass than with the lap band. There's something about whatever part of your intestines is bypassed that helps the insulin resistance. But I am 5 months post-lap band with PCOS and diabetes and I have lost 46 pounds. More than I have ever been able to lose on my own. So PCOS bandsters can be successful. Good luck to you.