Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Don't have my date yet, but I am getting ready

Hi all... I'm Judy... and I plan on having surgery sometime in late February or early March. I have a 6-month waiting period from my insurance, which has been difficult physically. I have very severe arthritis in my knees and I am blessed in that I have been able to continue working, but with a lot of difficulty. I take lots of drugs for pain, and need new knees, but I was told that I'd have to weigh 200-250 in order to have that surgery. I have a substantial amount to lose in order to get there, but I am very determined!

I'm here to learn as much as I can in order to make my own transition as successful as possible and I'm grateful that a site like this exists! There are a lot of brave people here, that have already accomplished what I am hoping to, so I am hoping to learn from all of you and help others as I go through my experience.

peace and blessings - success to all of you - judy

Hi Judy and welcome to LBT. I had terrible knee and ankle pain too. It was hard to walk and I would fall a lot. It was actually scary trying to balance all the weight and walk at the same time.

Anyway, I am 8-weeks post op and 30 pounds lighter. I don't have the knee or ankle pain anymore. I am exercising like crazy, which I know helps lubericate my joints.

You won't regret your decision to have the band.

Good luck!

Hi Judy, welcome and hang in there. I had to delay my surgery last year because of health problems but am finally scheduled for 1-27-09. I'm on my pre-op diet and am looking forward to my journey. The waiting is hard, but have faith, and I'm sure you'll make it through. TQ, I'm thrilled to hear you are already rid of knee/ankle pain. I have a bad back and bad knees and can't walk very far or long, so I am hoping to improve after some weight loss -- you give me hope.

Thanks so much for replying to me... Wow - TQ - i'm amazed that your knee/ankle pain responded so quickly. I am hoping that I will have some relief as I lose weight, but I do need to have knee surgery to really feel good. One thing at a time though.

I haven't been on for awhile - but I really appreciate the support.

I also had the sleep study and I do have apnea! I was so surprised. I didn't get my machine yet - but I am looking forward to it because I did feel like I had much more energy the day after sleeping with the machine.

best of luck :tongue:.... judy

Hello:

My name is Kari and I'm new to this website/forum as well as the Realize Lap Band. It's nice to meet everyone. I had my Lap-Band done Sept 3 2008 and as of last week I lost 40.6 #. I had my first fill on Nov 24 right before Thanksgiving, (thank goodness) had a 3cc fill and I'm expecting my next one at my next visit in about 2wks.

I'm so glad I made this decision to get the Lap band and I would do it all over again. I've noticed a change in Blood Pressure, a decrease almost immediatley after the 1st 10# and no more lower back pain.

So, I look forward to speaking with folks.

Kari:thumbup:

Ladyjp, Welcome to the forum. I haven't had surgery yet either. My wife had hers 11-20-08. Mine is scheduled for 4-6-09. I got the nurse to weigh me when wife went so started ticker then. It's amazing that high Protein and high Fiber and low carbs really works for me. Icall it my pre-op pre-op since it will be 5 months. Started out 342 weighed this morning 301.4. Can't wait to be under 300 again. I want to be under 290 by April but I think I've done great concidering Thanksgiving and Christmas. As people has posted, My knees and ankles thank me everyday. Good look on your journey and looking forward to seeing your success.

Crimson, I give you props for losing so well before the surgery. I lost about 20 pounds before I ever went to meet the Lap Band surgeon, but since then I have struggled to lose any more weight (after a few falls on my knees and my cellulitis - the increased pain seemed to diminish my energy to continue losing, although I'm determined and inspired by your post to get back on track now).

I'm resisting the urge to beat myself up for wasting the 5 months so far of my six month waiting period, but I keep telling myself that I'll be ok no matter what because I am having the surgery. And since I don't have my date yet, I know I still have some time to take off some weight beforehand. My Dr. requires 2 weeks of a liquid diet before surgery, so that will help as well.

Navynurse - congrats on your success!! - sounds like its going beautifully for you. I wanted to ask you about a comment in your reply if you don't mind... you sounded so happy to have the fill - but since I am new to the board, I'm still trying to understand about the fills. It seems that most people need them and can you explain to me how you and your doctor decide how much and when to have a fill? And were you happy about it because it then becomes easier to feel full sooner and is therefore easier to lose? Are you aware of it other than the fact that you might feel satisfied sooner or is it uncomfortable in some way?

thanks so much for support and helping me learn.

peace and blessings - judy

Ladyjp, Sorry if I missled you. I don't have a fill yet because I haven't got the band yet. I get the band April 6. in Mexico. On the other hand My wife had her fill about 2 weeks ago and even though a bite here and there might get a little stuck, she said it is still the best thing in the world to be really full. Have you tried to take in more Protein and fiber? I know it seems like men loose faster (I here that all the time from my wife) but her weight loss increased when she upped hers as well. I have slowly turned my food addiction to the LBT addiction. I am so amazed at the success pictures of the before and after. I think that inspires me as much as anything because I know we're the next to succeed. Keep me posted on your loss because we all need each others support.