Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vitamin D deficient and anemic...yikes

I've had my band for a year and the honeymoon is over. I do love my band, but I'm so tired of eating the 'easy' foods. I used to have a pretty well-balanced diet pre-band, but not any more. My nutritionist just called yesterday to say I am severely deficient in Vitamin D and I am anemic. I totally know why. I don't eat well anymore. I eat what's easy to eat - carbs. I know I'm not getting the right nutrition because my habits have changed. I used to eat yogurt (calcium and D) with my lunch. Now I can barely get my Protein down for lunch. I used to eat more red meat (iron). Now I barely do because it's such a struggle to get down. My weight loss has stalled as a result of all this. I know I need to jump back on the bandwagon but it's so much easier to not fight with my band. Has anyone had the same experience? Any suggestions for more Vit. D/iron-filled food? Help!

You didn't mention how much fill you have in your band. Maybe it would be beneficial to remove a little to allow you to eat more solid Proteins that are healthier and more satisfying. Looks like you have done a really good job and you are not to far from goal!!!:thumbup:

There are lots of people who don't eat meat but are still healthy.

eggs can be soft and have Protein, some cereals have protein ( like Kashi Go Lean) and you could supplement with a Protein Drink or a Protein Bar.< /p>

Getting 20 mins of outside direct sunlight can help supplement Vitamin D and they do have Iron pills you can take.

But I agree with the other poster maybe you need a small unfill so healthy food is easier to get down. Ask your Dr. about it and the nuttritionist should be able to offer healthy food suggestions.

Hmmm...on the chart on my surgeon's office wall it says "RED ZONE...only "easy" foods go down, can't make healthy choices.." So I'd say you are too tight. WAY too tight. I know some choose to use the band the way you are, but for me, I think it's imprudent. Why shouldn't you be able to eat Protein? You're in control; I suggest you make an appt with your surgeon ASAP and get some of that fill removed.

I have low Vitamin d and low potassium and this is preband. I was already taking a prescription for Vitamin D due to arthriitis and fibromyalgia. So now I will have continue with the extra pills. Talk to your doctor and get some answers everyone is different.

I think you're too tight too.

Still, it is hard work staying on a well varied diet. I dont do Protein first becuase I dont think protein is the only nutrient I need. I make sure I mix forkfulls and eat equal amounts of everything on my plate (I leave out starchy carbs from dinner though. I find I have to cook fruit to eat much of it, so I make fruit based "healthy" Desserts like plain stewed fruit or apple crumble (reduce the sugar and fat etc) and have a bit later after dinner (and I will halve the size of the dinner I eat to fit it in. I truly dont think there's much advantage to getting in 60 grams of protein in your day when you've eaten no fruit or very few vegetables - you may not be protein deficient but you're STILL not eating healthily!

Dont waste your stomach space on anything not worth eating.

Be looser so you can eat more and more variety and exercise more to make up the difference if there's scope for that.

Yes, they are starting me on supplements. I am petrified to be looser. I can still binge on things at times and I don't trust myself to go any looser. I do agree I need to eat more fruits and veggies and stop worrying so much about the Protein. (I swear they pound that into your heads pre-surgery!) I just need to make better choices all the way around. Now I need to wrap my head around that. Thanks for the advice.

Don't be scared of a small unfill...right now, you're eating the wrong foods...which won't help your weight loss or your health. By being slightly unfilled, you'll be able to eat the right foods in the right amounts AND lose weight AND be healthier. Too many people think tighter is better, but it often leads to bad food choices and weight gain.

Plus, do you really want to be miserable all the time? The green zone chart in my doctor's office says, "Patient Satisfaction" under the green zone...are you satisified?