Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My best friend died last night.

Last night I had to have my dog, Jesse, put to sleep. She has been very ill for some time now with diabetes.

She was my best friend. She has been constantly at my side for seven and a half years. She has loved me unconditionally. This past year has been one of the hardest of my entire life and she never left me alone through it.

We came home last night and she was very very ill. We met the vet at the clinic and the decision was decided. We were at the clinic all evening with her. My son, my husband, and I were on the floor beside her to the very end. She died knowing she was loved and being held and petted by those closest to her.

We brought her home and she was buried at midnight last night in our backyard. We buried many of her favorite things with her (including a McDonald's Cheeseburger and fries). The wind was very very high and the air was very cold but she deserved to be at peace and safely underground.

My heart is truly broken beyond what words can even describe right now. I never thought I could be this destroyed by the loss of a pet. I feel so stupid being this upset but I just can't get beyond the tears. I miss her being by my side or at my feet.

Please be patient with me as it may be a few days before I get the Weight Loss Chart updated.

Pray that the Lord will send comforting angels to my home and that He will carry my family through this tough time.

I just put down my poodle of 15+ yrs 2wks ago, my sincere condolences.

Allow yourself & family to mourn....they are family

Teri, my heart goes out to you. Don't hold the tears in, cry as much as you need to. It has been 2 years since my beloved Mr Budd went over the Rainbow Bridge and I still cry for him. They are special members of our life.

Mimilou

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family during this trying time. It is amazing how those dogs become like one of our family members! Last year just before Christmas, my Yorkie was killed by stray dogs, then at the end of February my mother passed away and in April our Labrador disappeared! So.... let me assure you that with many prayers and lots of time that it does get easier to deal with losses like these. I just got a little boy Yorkie a few weeks ago, and WOW!!!! What a joy and handful he is. Take time and cry all you want/need.... and as I said, I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers. God has a wonderful way of helping us through trying times..... keep the faith!

i have 3 dogs right now sleeping around me. but i still remember where i was standing and what i was wearing when my father told me he had to put to sleep my first dog. and that was 39 years ago. they are family. eventually the sadness fades and you remember the good times. i do hope that when the time is right you will get another dog. there is nothing like them. sometimes when i'm stressed i say to myself i can't wait to lay on the couch tonight with the dogs and i feel the relief. you are in my thoughts.

I am so sorry for your loss. I lost my maltese of 18 years in April and I know how you feel. Frosty also laid by me thru 3 surgeries and never left my side. This is the first surgery I have been thru without having him by my side to comfort me. And now, when I go for a walk, I want Frosty here to walk with me. It does get better, but it takes time. Allow yourself to grieve the loss of your best friend and know that God will take care of you and your family. You are in my prayers.

Teri,

I am so sorry for your loss. We are going through the very same thing. Our 16yr old boxer mix has been going down hill these past few weeks. Now she can't walk and is having mini seizures. We are taking her to our holistic vet tomorrow at 11:40am. Our 18yr and his best friend want one more nite with their four legged best friend. I have cried the past few days. She has been a wonderful family member. She was always so gentle with our son....they grew up together. I have another fur baby. He is a cancer survivor. He was amputated Nov '07 and through prayer and holistic meds, he is on the sofa beside me.

I will keep you and yours in my thoughts and prayers. Please keep our family in yours. This is so very hard.

My band has been very tight these past few days and I don't even have a fill. I think it's my emotions.

I belong to a dogs with bone cancer support group. Whenever a pup passes, we call it going to the rainbow bridge where pain is no more. Your fur baby will welcome my Molly there tomorrow. They will both be pain free and happy.

They know we love them...even though it's very difficult to let go.

LuluC I am sorry for your loss, too. They make us so happy and their loss makes us so sad.

Mimilou

thank you.

this thread really chokes me up & tears well w/every response.

hockeyson - i know the "extra" night feeling, if you can get that extra time do so.... i made a rule that i would not keep a dog alive for me; rather i would exhaust all medical treatment necessary and rely on instincts. my bud "sal's" time was up, and it really was peaceful. took me a bit to get up and about; i have 5 other dogs that wandered about looking for him....that crushed me more. but i did have a great 15yrs w/him; and he is at peace & no longer in pain.

he was my "first" furr baby on my "own" - my parents always had dogs....now i have a ranch full. they sure know how to tug the heart strings..

thank you.

this thread really chokes me up & tears well w/every response.

hockeyson - i know the "extra" night feeling, if you can get that extra time do so.... i made a rule that i would not keep a dog alive for me; rather i would exhaust all medical treatment necessary and rely on instincts. my bud "sal's" time was up, and it really was peaceful. took me a bit to get up and about; i have 5 other dogs that wandered about looking for him....that crushed me more. but i did have a great 15yrs w/him; and he is at peace & no longer in pain.

he was my "first" furr baby on my "own" - my parents always had dogs....now i have a ranch full. they sure know how to tug the heart strings..

Thank you everyone. I know we are doing the right thing. It's so very hard.

I am so sorry for your loss. My Hunter, a sheltie passed away suddenly Dec 12 2007. I just kept thinking he was such a great dog that Jesus wanted him up in heaven with Him. Just picture you dog playing with the King!! That gave me some comfort. We just bought a little Silky Terrier last night. It took me a year to be ready for another dog. My thoughts & paryers are with you & your family.:tongue2:

Sistasassy, I'm crying right along with you....I am so sorry for your incredible loss....I feel your pain, as my beloved Boxer, Duke, crossed over the Rainbow Bridge 2 1/2 years ago...he was only 8 years old. You are NOT stupid, you are a loving, caring person that fell in love with your pet and there is nothing stupid about that! Mourn your loss, cry whenever you feel the need....you will never forget Jesse, she will always be a part of your family...I think about Duke all the time, he was our "first" baby....it was such a special time for me and my hubby! I pray that the angels come to you and your family and help you all get through this terrible time....may the Lord bless you all!

You take as long as you need to get over this huge loss. On the morning of Oct 17, 1989 my beloved Rottndobie was in the back yard dying. I called our vet who had just seen him the day before. She said he was ok then, but came over to see him. Before she could get there he died. My world was totally ended, but at 5:07 that evening we had a 7.1 earthquake here in Northern CA and with our house sitting on liquified ground, we lost everything. I did not have time to cry over my pup (only 5 years old). Several weeks later the vet spoke with me and said he probably could feel the gound moving long before the quake hit, and he had a heart attack. I still cry over him, he was just the best dog and friend ever and although I have had several dogs since, he fills my heart with pure joy today in memory as much as he did when he was here. His collar is still in my jewelry box. So, allow yourself time, do not feel that you should not be hurting because our pets are some of the best family we could ever ask for. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Molly went to the rainbow bridge this morning around 11:45am. The vet gave her a sedative, then the cather and she was gone in seconds. Never opened her eyes. She went very peacefully.

I think the stress has tightend my band today. I had stress hunger today and was afraid I'd eat my way into a coma but my band was very tight and just a piece of lunch meat got caught.

I'm really glad I didn't get a fill yesterday.

My other furbaby, Gretzky, is a little sad but we think he knew Molly would not be coming home.

He's a bonecancer survivor.

Thank you all for listening to my running on...I'm just at a loss right now...she was with us for 16 years.