Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone have an On-Q Pain Buster?

I went to my last pre-op visit with my surgeon and they told us they will put an On-Q Pain Buster in one of our incisions. It is a small catheter that hooks up to a ball that is filled with pain meds that is slowly released into your abdomen for a day or two after surgery. I don't mind this at all, but what is freaking me out is that once the ball is empty, I'm supposed to pull the catheter out myself! They tell me that its not painful and it just feels really weird coming out, but I want first hand information! Anyone had this device and is it as good/easy as they claim? My surgery date has been scheduled for 1/14 :thumbup:

Hi there. I was just banded on the 12th of December and I had the little ball of pain meds. I too was totally wigging out about pulling out the line at home. Turns out it really wasn't a big deal. At the end of surgery, you are supposed to receive a fanny pack with the ball of medicine inside. Then when they have you walk around the halls of the hospital, you don't have to carry the ball and hold on to the IV line at the same time. I never got my fanny pack, but balanced everything pretty well. When I got home and was wearing a bra, I just tucked it in under the strap, above my breast. Problem solved. (Clearly I'm not top heavy). I was planning to have my DH pull out the line, but I got curious and did it myself. It was only about 4 inches inside of me and I didn't feel a thing as it came out. Just creepy to watch. The hole from the point of entry closes up pretty quickly. The ball is actually like a strong balloon, as the medicine goes into your body, the ball deflates. Hope this helps and good luck to you!

Thanks...I won't really have much of an opportunity to walk around at the hospital much, but it helps to know that it is manageable when I come home and get ready to walk around. I'm glad to hear that its not a big deal, but I have to say, I'm still a bit woozy at the thought....:thumbup: I also have to give myself shots in the stomach for 1 week after surgery to prevent blood clots. They require it if you have a BMI over 50 and I'm right at 50.0. He said that if I lose even 5-10 pounds before surgery, my BMI will drop and he won't make be do the injections. Talk about a motivator! :thumbup:

I had one as well, and I'll admit I was kind of freaked out at the thought of pulling the line out. I thought it was going to be a NEEDLE. lol

I was so squeamish, and I can't believe I didn't totally creep out my husband over the prospect of him pulling it out. I kept imagining the needle breaking inside of me. He was a real trooper and did the deed for me. I had to laugh when he showed me it was just a little plastic tube (there was no needle). It turned out to be nothing at all to pull it out. I didn't even really feel it.

It did keep the area completely numb, and I suspect it helped me not rely on oral narcotic pain meds so much. I got the little fanny pack from the hospital to carry the ball in, and it was handy to have.

I had one and will admit I was also squeamish about taking it out but will tell you it was really no big deal. I actually had my mom pull it out while I closed my eyes. It only took a second and I could barely feel it. It didn't hurt, it was only a "weird" feeling like someone already told you. I was amazed though at how long the tube was in there. :thumbup: It won't be any weirder than having your band filled. Don't worry about it!

I had the fanny pack and it made things easier so I didn't have to tote it around. You'll know its time to take it out when it looks like an apple core.

I had one! In fact, I just removed it today. I called it my ball and chain because I had to carry it like a purse on my shoulder. :thumbup:

My mom actually removed it. She's a nurse practitioner and well, why not use her? I watched her do the whole thing and it did feel weird coming out. She removed all the tape holding the tube down, which left just the tube in my skin. She just pulled up and out it came! I have a band-aid on it right now and my skin is itchy where the tape was (I'm slightly allergic to tape like that) but it was easy. I could've done it myself.

There's nothing to worry about! I know it sounds like it'd be weird, but it's not. :thumbup:

I had one It drove me CRAZY. As soon as we got home my husband removed it for me. I didn't need the pain killer and having that thing pinned to my clothes, and on my left side, was a horror for me. I couldn't stand it.

Once it was out I felt fine and even slept on my (LEFT!) side. So I really didn't NEED it. It was a bigger pain than the pain. LOL