Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Manitoba anyone?

I'm going Tuesday 15th at 12:45. Was on a cruise and did well. See you then.

Diva

Hi everyone, I am new and just making the decision to proceed with the lap band. I have a doctors appointment tomorrow to start with my GP and them on to consultation with the doctors at the maples. For thoes of you who had this surgery at the Maples center in Winnipeg, are you happy with the choice of center? Did everything go as planned? Can you give me some helpful hints and tips. From the time of your consultation how long did it take to have the surgery? Has everyone been getting the results that they had hoped for? Tell me what to expect. thanks

I remember being very tentative about committing to the operation. I read loads and loads on various internet forums, asked questions, and ordered a couple of great books from chapters. I had loads of questions for the doctors. I was mostly worried about the operation. My biggest fear - would I wake up from it? Apparently, a normal fear given our size and complications. I did a plus minus decision table - reasons for and reasons against having the operation. Then looked at each criteria that I wrote carefully.

I had my operation Sept. 29, 2009. It was not an uncomfortable operation nor difficult recuperation and has been the best decision ever. I wish they had had this available or I knew of it years ago. One of the side benefits is that the surgeons fix a hiatus hernia if you have it before putting on the band and you no longer have heartburn like you used to.

By following the guidelines to the letter, I have lost 60 pounds. I have not been that successful on any of the other diets I've been on like I have on this in such a short time. Plus, having a band keeps me on the straight and narrow. I have never vomited, been stuck, nor slimed. I even went on a cruise this Feb. and maintained. Another benefit is if you are on any medications, likely they will be reduced or eliminated. For myself, by the first month post op, I was taken off my blood pressure pills and of course no longer need acid reduction meds. I figure not paying for those will cover this operation in 3 years alone. If you have any other questions, we are all here for you. Good luck with your decision.:(

hi to all...i just seen that it was February of last year when i joined lapband. march is when i went it for consult to wpg, and June 20th for surgery...... truth be known i was thinking about this long before i joined this site but got all the info here to make the decision to go to wpg and see the docs...as i have said in the past that if i only lose fifty pounds on lapband i would be happy..... thats how i made my decision to do it.... pay all the money and only lose fifty is it worth it...hope to all the new people reading this that it gives u some encouragement that it can be done.... i drive truck and dont exercise much and to be honest i have just done this with diet...now in saying that eating has always been my Achilles heel so this has been a big struggle for me....protien..protien..protien is all i can say... i had to lose weight just to have this surgery sooo....... i am so happy that i can now say i am not the largest man working at my work place...:D..... i have not been this size since 1996 and when i graduated high school i was 240lbs...life is starting over...life is getting better...i can now see my life....:(

I wouldn't change having my surgery at Maples for anything, even though it was hours away from home, and even though there's now a closer+cheaper option for me. I had been researching for awhile about having the surgery, and dreaded the though of having to travel out to Ontario, the Maples people gave the people of Manitoba and Saskatchewan a closer, viable option.

From consultation to surgery for me was I believe a month. The surgery was the first major procedure I had ever had done, and I think it went really well, other than the gas pain after. Even with that, I wouldn't change a thing!

It's taken awhile to get to a point where I feel I have the right restriction, and eating was a learning curve, but I'm so happy to have this tool!

As Fish mentioned - Protein protein protein is the key. I know this because I find if I'm not eating enough the scale doesn't move - and it happens far too often for my liking. When I up the intake, I see progress.

That brings me to a question of my own now - how have you all integrated more protein into less food? I've been faithful with the Beneprotein, but still find myself falling short on protein more often than not. And has anyone tried Protein Shots? I've just read about them, and am thinking of trying it - 45g in one 3oz shot.... Would love to hear how you guys added more protein in!

Well I have an appointment to meet the surgeons. I have been thinking about this long enough and researched it like crazy so now it is time to just go and do. I am really looking forward to it. I am looking forward to a new start. :tongue_smilie:

So I met with the Doctor and went to my own doctor and did the pre-op, looks like I am having the surgery done this month....yahoo! I am so excited. :smile2: Couple of questions out there for everyone, the Doctor said I will probably not be able to eat certain foods after....like bread....is this what everyone has found? What is it that you found you could not eat after the surgery. also how long did it take for the band to start working for you? When did you find you had restriction? Any help would be helpful....:w00t:

Hi Trying. Way to go, getting that surgery date booked is exciting!

To answer some of your questions.. I can still eat bread, but tiny bites and just a bit, there's no way I would attempt a hamburger or sandwich. Toast is still ok but again not in huge amounts and carefully. I have a couple of foods that cause me problems and they baffle me because I would think they would be sliders. But potatoes are difficult, mashed, boiled whatever.. and ice cream! I can eat it, but very slowly. I think the coldness causes my stomach to contract or something.. shrinkage maybe? lol

Truthfully it took about 4-5 months before the band started to work for me. The fills were so small and spaced so far apart I was starting to wonder if I had wasted my money. But as you can see from my ticker, it's been a year and just over 60 pds down. I go in spurts, one week I'll lose 3, the next nothing, but it averages out overall. The best advise I can give anyone is HAVE PATIENCE. Good luck!

Hi everyone, I found like Moonbeam that I can manage a piece of well toasted toast but as for regular bread or Buns I don't even bother cause I know they'll get stuck. Pasta is pretty much the same I can handle a very very small portion just to say I had some but any more and I'm asking for trouble. I too went 5-6 months before any "real" restriction.

Over all I am still glad that I had the surgery, the weight isn't falling off as I would have liked but all the bits add up. :)

Hi all, I am very frustrated with the Maples Surgical clinic. I feel like I am getting the run around. I was told when I went in for my consultation that I could have the surgery on the 30th of this month if I could get my preop done and returned to them fast, which I did, and I waited for over 1 week to see if they had the paperwork back, was told yes and they were just clearing me at the clinic....then no word again, had to call 3 times before the girl (Jennifer) would return my call, told me that it looked like the 30th would not happen....she said she would call me the next day and let me know for sure....she did not call...I called the day after and she had the day off....called today and she said nope the 30th was a no go.....telling me that it would be mid May but maybe April.....she is waiting to see if they will give her an extra day in April....not holding my breath on that one....not sure why if there is people waiting why would they not be holding surgerys on their scheduled surgical days?......anyway I called the clinic in Regina and had a good helpful conversation with the guy there (way more help than Maples) they can gurantee me a spot for April 11, seriously considering going there.....can anyone tell me if it would be beneficial to wait an extra month or 2 to have the surgery at home? How often do we need to see the doctor and do the fills? Regina is 5 hours from Winnipeg, which is not that far....it is a month sooner and I feel like the help is better....I dont like when someone can't say something and stick to it. From my first contact with the Maples they told me a month or less but it is turning into over 3 months...I am getting the run around and not sure why....the other thing I dont like is the "sale" they are running....is this something that there should be a special on? For me this is weird.... Maples always tells me they will get back to me but they never ever do! Not sure what to do. Is there anywhere in Winnipeg we can have the fills if the surgery is elsewhere? Please help me with what you know....THanks

Hi Trying. Sorry to hear about your frustrations. I know how it feels, you've made the decision, done what you were told to do and now you wait. I remember just wanting to get it done as soon as possible once I made up my mind to do it. A year has gone by and I chuckle a bit at my eagerness and my rush to make it all happen. The band experience is one of patience. Patience at the clinic, patience for getting the right fill level and patience to see the weight start to come off. My advise to you is to sit back and give it another week or so before you make any decisions. 5 hours is a long way to drive if the fill you've had suddenly acts up and you can't swallow your own spit. That's just my thoughts on it. I do know where you are coming from though. I hope everything works out for you!

Hi everyone, I had a .5cc fill last Tuesday and since have been experiencing horrendous heartburn. I have tried over the counter acid reducers and pepto bismal with little success. Has anyone else had this problem and how did you resolve it? :laugh:

hi trying. i had my surgery done in wpg and live in regina. so i know to well the five hour drive. i dont do it..we have a nurse that does fills here in regina. is it better to have the surgery done quickly and then do all the driving i guess thats up to you. you will have to pay like i do and pay for fills if you stay in wpg and dont drive to regina if you get surgery done in regina... i hear surgery in regina is cheaper then wpg so you might want to do the math.

Anyone get bumped from a fill on Tues. Mar. 30th :frown: because the docs and Terri were not available? Now I don't have any appointment any time in the future and am living on sheer will power. Hoping for one soon...

Diva

just at one der:thumbup:land

Edited by divaofhighmaintenance

Yikes Diva, that really sucks. I know the shear willpower thing, that's what didn't work in the first place! I would call Jenn asap and ask for an appointment, they would probably fit you in considering the circumstances.