Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Manitoba anyone?

Hi all! It's been quite a while since I've posted on here but its great to see that some of you are doing so fantastically well, it's motivating. I also see that there are a few of you getting ready for surgery very soon, actually someone is tomorrow. Good Luck! Everything will be just fine. I know I had a lot of concern going into surgery because I'd never been under a general anesthetic before and I discussed this and other things with the psychologist. She helped me quite a bit and I came out of there with a good mantra for myself. Whenever I was/or am feeling a little uneasy about my decision I just remind myself that "I'm in good hands."

I had a fill on the 11th... I think that was the date. I think it was the first day that Terri was there doing the fills. She had been there one other time with Dr. Bracken practicing but wasn't able to find the access to my port so Dr. B ended up doing it. This time she also had a little trouble getting the access but only poked twice and it maybe took 5 minutes. It wasn't nearly as bad as it could have been. I liked that she took more time to talk with me and discuss how my food intake has been. While Dr's A and B do a great job I sometimes feel like I'm whisked in and out of the office and didn't get a chance to ask some of the questions I may have had.

So I'm now up to 4.75 mL in my band and I can honestly say that it is doing something now. YAY! For a while I was having this whole "what have I gotten myself into" situation but I'm now seeing how this all works. I guess the thing is you read all these stories about how people reach their goal weight in one year and how after 5 months post-op (where I'm at) have lost 40 to 50 pounds. You don't hear the other side where not everyone loses that fast and it can take a while to get to the right volume for you to lose weight. So you just assume that you will be one of those fabulous people and when it doesn't happen you're naturally disappointed. I've come to terms with this though and now am paying much closer attention to what I put in my mouth especially since I can't eat as much.

I had my first real eating out experience this weekend when I went to a stagette. That was interesting. I didn't know a lot of the girls there and quite honestly got the strangest looks after I ate 2/3 of my appetizer that I ordered for my meal and announced that I was absolutely so full I thought I could die and had the worlds largest smile on my face saying it.

So if you're like me and are slow to start losing, just stick with it and it will work itself out eventually!

Glad to see all is well with everyone. I was away on vacation for the last 2 weeks in Vancouver on where we had a big family reunion. We also got to drop the news that we will be moving a bit closer (1 province over in AB) due to a job transfer for the hubby in Nov. So I guess I will be looking for a local clinic to do my fills or trying to come back. Oh well....

My fill is today - 1st one - I am actually meeting with the docs this morning to discuss so I am kind of nervous - but am sure that I will live! I will let you know how it goes.

Cheers

Lori

Hey Lori, how did the fill go?

Does anyone know about flouro fills? I'm reading it on some of the other threads. Their docs do the fills under flouro to help them reach a good fill level. Does the maples ever do that? Has anyone had experience with it?

Also does anyone know how much Maples charges for a fill after the year is up? I never thought to ask that question.

Hey Moonbeam

Good news - I survived and lived to tell the tale. I met with Dr A as this was my first fill - guess the Dr's need to do the the virgin fills first before they pass them on to Terri (LOL). It went good up with Dr A describing the process as he prepped the needle, until he began describing the needle itself - "longer than normal so that it was capable of piercing thru the skin and into the port" at which port I promptly told him that it was more information than I needed and contrary to what he thought, the needle was actually the shortest, tiniest one in existence and that was all he or Terri needed to tell me. I am sure he thought I was crazy! I am but would never admit it in a public place.

I have not heard of flouro fills being done at Maples, but it would seem to me that it would make it easier on both the giver and reciever.

So I had 3.0 in my band and am now at 4.0. Earlier someone had asked about what we eat in typical day - this is my day so far.

Breakfast - Carnation Instant Breakfast - chocolate (of course)

lunch - Vegetable Soup - about 1 1/2 cups

Supper - 3 oz BB Salmon - 1 cup of Broccoli

snack - Later this evening - probably one the those 100 calorie packaged Snacks - this is my treat for having a good day

Probably about 6 glasses of Water thoughout the day.

Cheers!

IWBAL

Edited by I Wanna Be a Loser

fills in Regina are 100 dollars. it Will be about the same price as gas money for me to get to wpg so what is the difference.(not much). nurse in regina is good too....

Hey Lori, how did the fill go?

Does anyone know about flouro fills? I'm reading it on some of the other threads. Their docs do the fills under flouro to help them reach a good fill level. Does the maples ever do that? Has anyone had experience with it?

Also does anyone know how much Maples charges for a fill after the year is up? I never thought to ask that question.

Yes the maples does it I had to have it the first fill I got because they could not find the port. It is just like an xray but they can see immediately, go into the OR room for it. Just takes a few minutes once they know where it is.

I asked Jenn, as I am coming to my year next month she said not to worry they are not charging anyone yet that is over a year and they will send a letter when they would be start charging.

Hey all - hope everyone is doing good!

A quick question - I just had my first fill last week and notice that I typically get the hiccups - they only last a few minute - right after eating. Has anyone else experienced this - or am a just a freak of nature - LOL!

IWBAL

Hey all - hope everyone is doing good!

A quick question - I just had my first fill last week and notice that I typically get the hiccups - they only last a few minute - right after eating. Has anyone else experienced this - or am a just a freak of nature - LOL!

IWBAL

Hi IWBAL,

You're a freak of nature! lol jk, I don't get that, but I'm sure you're not alone. :blink:

Well, it is nice to know that someone recognizes me for what I really am, Moonbeam! LOL!

I guess I will ask whan I am back in for my fill at the end of the month - it is so weird!

Take care,

IWBAL

My goodness it is sooooooooooooo very nice to see Wpg MB and all the other provinces as well on here. . . i'm originally from Wpg and moved to TX about 13 years ago. . . been back once. . .near froze myself to death! Came at christmas. . hehehehe. . . . anyhow good luck to you all. . . best wishes and god bless!

Hi all, I get the hiccups all the time .....usually when I eat too fast or too big of bites. Dr. B said it just a reflex of pressure on the diaphram and nothing to be concerned about. On the whole I would rather deal with hiccups than the PB's that some other talk about having.

i was banded on 15 of sept2009 i had minimal pain from the proccedure lost 31 lbs in pre op diet

just experianced my first bad decision as i had a piece of toast for Breakfast and it gave me my first opprotunity to feel like puking

i guess that is why they say no bread unless it is burnt in a toaster

35 lbs down and 85 pounds to go

i am trying to find a lawyer to go after the goverment to pay for the proccedure anyone know someone that dosent do buisness with the goverment ?:biggrin:

Fantastic progress, fergieis. Glad to hear that you are doing so well after your surgery. I will have my operation Sept. 29. Any tips for getting over the jitters the night before?