Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Manitoba anyone?

Fantastic progress, fergieis. Glad to hear that you are doing so well after your surgery. I will have my operation Sept. 29. Any tips for getting over the jitters the night before?

all was good in 6 days post op i took 1 tylenon 3 and 2 regular strength tylenols that is it the pain was very minimal but the gas was insane walk as much as you can to get that gas moving i was 4 days post op till all the gas was gone

and yesterday i learnt why they tell you bread is bad ( closest i have been to puking in years ) i have a low pain threshold and i did it no problem so good luck and i found that chow main is great for your 2 cups of vegtables i ordered it every day i found out ( just make sure that they dont use oil when cooking ) it was a treat as it is take out but allowed ( i lost 31 lbs on my pre op and cheated 2 times with bad choices) keep busy it is the easy way to keep mind off cheating.

good luck and the people at Maples are wonderfull ( phill the nurse put a big bandaid over my hairy chest the other 4 bandaids he shaved i will get even some how:):biggrin::smile2:

Thanks so much fergieis for your advice and heartening words. Were you given a prescription for pain meds at all? Did you crush the Tylenol? Did you try GasX strips? I read that hey help.

I am concerned about going under anesthetic as they had trouble intibating me during my last surgery. Maples said they will have 2 anaesthetists for me. Figure someone will be looking out for me.

Did you have to hook up your sleep apnea machine at Maples? Did you go to Garden City after 6 for that night? That's what is on my agenda.

I'm wondering if we met at the psychologist's. I was the one that Jennifer had erroneously booked for your time.

Hi all!

I had my 2nd fill with Terri a few weeks ago now, and definately feel much more restriction! Yippee! It's actually really strange to each eat so little, I have to stop myself from overeating sometimes cause I'm just so used to eating larger portions cause you need to feed your body right? Well I obviously overfed it for quite sometime and its an adjust that isn't just physical it's mental.

Fergieis, I'm glad to hear that you went ahead with the surgery and that everything is going fine. I hope that the info I'd given you a few months back was helpful.

Diva, the doc's will give you a Rx for T3 the day of your surgery. Have it filled regardless if you think you'll need them or not. As for the crushing of the pills. Yup, you've either got to crush or chew them. I personally handled the slight pain way better than the taste of crushed T3. I tried a few times mixing it with applesauce but the taste was too much and that alone was going to make me ill which is a big no-no right after surgery. I also had tried some liquid childrens tylenol and that wasn't any better. A heads up if you have a reaction to anaesthesia that usually makes you nauseated or "vomititous" as I call it pick up some gravol suppositories. If you can handle the crushed pill do that, or even if you can handle the liquid that's great but have some on hand. More than you wanted to know I'm sure but it got me through days 3-7. My queasiness didn't hit until the following evening and I can honestly say that the pain of your body trying to vomit that early in the healing stage is not pretty. And as a bonus the gravol will knock you out hopefully so you can get some solid sleep :seeya: And why may I ask does all liquid form medication taste so dreadfully awful??

So my next fill is schedualed for Oct 13, but I've got to change that. That being the Thanksgiving weekend-ish time I'll most likely be in Toronto to see my brothers family.

Leeleegrace, thank you so much for your words of wisdom. Running out to get gravol. Thank you Manitoba bandsters for answering my pre-op questions and being such a great resource.

Well, Tuesday, Sept. 29 10:00 am is my moment of truth and the start of the rest of the life I want to live as a thinner person.

Cheers to all.

Edited by divaofhighmaintenance
ticker

Hello All

Sounds like everyone is doing great!

Mimi - thanks for the advice on the hiccups - you are right - that is better than PB'ing. Strange thing is that I have now learned with eating a little slower and pausing for a few minutes that if I get the hiccups - it is my signal to cease and desist eating anything more. If they do not come after about 2 - 3 minutes, I can still have a few bites more. Weird. But as Moonbeam confirmed, I am a freak of nature!

Diva - you will do fine in your surgery tomorrow - take it slow and easy the day after though. The day of my surgery, I had the Oxycontin that they gave me- 2 pills and thought there was nothing to this - I think my surgery was at 9 or 10 and I was out by 1:30 - 2. I relaxed on the couch and at 6 felt good enough to go for a walk to friends and visit for 2 hours before the hubby and I walked back home. By the next morning the oxy's wore off, I felt like I got hit by a Mack truck and I could barely get out of bed. What a bonehead I was! Relax and take it easy - remember the second day is always the worst but it gets better....way better and you will be beyond this point in your life before you know it.

BTW - if you are in recovery, and wake to the sounds of a high pitched scream in the next room - don't be alarmed - I am in for my fill at noon and am quite scared of needles and it is my first time with Terri. Gawd, I pray she has had good practice on all the rest of you before getting to me! LOL

Cheers

IWBAL

Edited by I Wanna Be a Loser

So, when is everyone's next fills scheduled for?

I went yesterday for my appt at 12 and got there 10 min early and finally had to leave at 1:10 to get back to work - so I have to reschedule (big sigh..., bummer)

Cheers

IWBAL

IWBAL, that sucks about your appointment. I guess they still haven't quite figured out the timing yet.

My next fill was booked for Oct 13 sometime in the morning but I just talked with Jen and rescheduled for the 20th in the evening so that one is open now if someone's looking for a day.

And a heads up about Terri's progress I found that my second fill went much smoother with her than the first. In and out in 5 minutes and I've been told by Dr. Bracken that I apparently have a "difficult port" and he's considered doing mine under fluoro so if she can get mine alright everything should be just fine.

Diva I look forward to hearing what your experience was like and hope that you are keeping well. Day 2 is the worst so your almost at the point where things can only get better!

I so didn't get any oxycontin! Not fair! Kidding, sort of. I seemed to do just fine anyways.. I wonder why I didn't get any though?? Hmm..

Hi Leslee,

I think I am going to hold off until after Thanksgiving as I don't want to be out for dinner and suddenly get the PB's or upchuck. I like to be in the comfort of my own bathroom for that. That is probably why I am so focused when I eat out now....hmmmm, maybe I should eat out all the time? LOL

I am happy to hear Terri is has improved...I am such a sucky baby about needles! Dr A did mine first fill and it was over after 15 seconds (yes, I did count!). I have not met Dr B - would not know him even if I tripped over him. I may have gotten stronger meds after surgery as I had surgery previously where they had to cut through and the scar tissue was thickened. Day 2 is the worst - and unfortunately for me -day 2 actually spanned 3 days afterwards! But it was so worth it!

Leslee - how much have you now lost from your original weight. I know that you were kind of stuck there for a stretch. I think I have reached my limbo level as I am just fluctuating 2 lb up and 2 down. I am not dwelling on it as I am now down 30-32 lb and from a size 16 pant and starting to fit some 12's. I can hardly waiting for curling to begin as my stetchy pants no longer are stretched past their breaking point and the seams should hold for the entire season! LOL Look for success and how far we have come and the future is looker brighter either way.

Shout out to Diva - hope you are doing fine, remember to walk, walk & walk and when you get a horrible pain in the shoulder/neck area - please know that you are not dying or having a stroke - it is gas! I think we all struggled with that one up to a couple weeks after the surgery - Just a heads up! BTW- were you there with a friend? - a dark haired woman was waiting and then left about noon as I was waiting to see Terri.

Just wondering.....

Cheers

IWBAL

i was wondering i am 2 weeks post op and eatting better food choices as i wait for my first fill on october 27

i have gained 2 lbs which is fustrating even thought I was told i will gain some weight back, i just want a fill as i feel great so great i played volleyball on sunday

( with docs approval ) but i have a month to go and i am craving a fill really bad as i find that i am eating large portions of the good food

i never thought i would say this but i really like the protien shakes i am drinking to get my protien to where the diettitan wants it

I miss my diet coke?

I also am looking for a lawyer to sue the goverment for trying to make me go the gastric by pass method

did you know that if you get reffered to gastric bypass you have to fly to edmonton and take some education fly home and then fly back to edmonton for the surgery at your cost until the goverment pays for the travel

and when it comes time to vote i emailed NDP, PC and Liberals

and the only one party that didnt get back to me was the NDP

Diva i think that i got some of your protien bars as i had to bring jen back 2 boxs, i was there with my wife

leslee thanks for your emails

just a heads up for everyone i am filing a human rights claim ( or trying ) against the goverment for discriminating against me(us) the goverment shouldnt be able to pick and choose what diseases they pay to treat

will keep you posted

Fergie

Edited by fergieis
error

Hey Fergieis

Glad to hear your recovery is going fine - sounds like you are on of the lucky ones who got an easier recovery - I was still getting gas pains up to a month after my surgery.

Don't sweat about the weight gain - you are going to be entering the next phase - the notorious "LAP-BAND® hell". You feel great and fine enought to push through and are excited to get started and see the results. However keep in mind that your insides just went through surgury that takes 4-6 weeks to recover from internally. If you are living in Wpg - they probably left a little fill in the band to see how your body reacts, but not enough to make a big difference so that you would notice it. LAP-BAND® Hell begins as you start to see the weight come off, then you plateau and bounce up and down a few pounds and if you lose less than a certain amount of pounds, you get a fill and if lose more, then its 'thanks for coming out - see you next month" and so on, until you hit the "sweet spot" - the correct amount of fill that allows you to lose to your goal weight. Everyone is different. And yes, it is typical to gain right after surgery - remember you were on a liquid diet for 2 weeks or more and light foods afterwards. What I did was replace the huge lunch meal I used to have with a broth Soup (eg veggie or chicken noodle), 1 oz of cheese and crackers dipped in the Soup (they get soft) and Water to drink. For Breakfast, I do the carnation Breakfast shake and Water between lunch and breakfast. A piece of fruit when I get home to tide me over to supper. Supper is a normal meal - protien plus veggies and a reward at the end of the night - one of those 100 calories snack things.

you are the first person I have heard of who likes the liquid chalk drink that those Medi protien shakes. Have you tried adding fruit to them - eg; bananna to the chococate - strawberries to the vanilla etc - this may fill you up further as well and prevent cravings.

Diet Coke - avoid any carbonated bevvies for at least the first 4 weeks and my advise would be if you want to try - only 2 or 3 slow sips to see how your body reacts - the gas in the coke can give you horrible pains that you will regret if you try too much. I cannot do Diet Coke, it is absolute agony and I will not ever do it again - Club Soda and Lime juice is my bevvie of choice and the only carbonated drink I can do - only 1 and only about once or twice a week but never more than one. Some doctors recommend that carbonated bevs are cut out completely due to the gas.

Okay - off the soapbox. BTW - keep us posted on the fight with the gov't and if you get anywhere.

CHeers

IWBAL

Yes, Terri has greatly improved, I wouldn't worry about seeing her one bit.

IWBAL, my weight loss has pretty much been staying steady at the no where point. I am I guess one of those lucky people that have a hard time reaching the sweet spot. I am officially down 7 pounds total (including the pre-op diet) so I'm struggling a bit. I've gotten back in contact with Danielle though and sent her a few days worth of my food journal to see what she can make of it. I can't wait until my next fill though, I feel as though I am soooo close to where I want to be fill wise.

If anyone is interested in an easy/free online food journaling progam check out the daily plate. I tried a couple and this one was the simplest.

Fergieis I look forward to hearing your progress with the government. I know that I was interested in finding a way to get my money back didn't even know where to start. As for the by-pass round about craziness I barely met the BMI thresh hold for the band (I was 36.7 if I remember correctly) and would never have for the by-pass so I'm not sure what they would've said to me.

I know that you feel great Fergieis but internally that band isn't quite set into place yet and adding some fill might only aggravate the healing process. Try and remember that for the past few weeks you've been eating mostly liquids so of course you're gonna lose weight and naturally you'll gain a bit once you start back to normal foods. And as for the diet coke, the feeling I get from carbonated beverages is so not worth it. I was a total pepsi addict and for a while it was all I could do not to chew off my left arm for a pepsi but I got past it and could really care less. If at all possible ob-stain from the soda, you'll thank yourself in the end.

I actually kind of liked the meditrim shakes and bars too... I only got chocolate shakes and chocolate bars but I didn't mind them. I loved making some coffee the night before, sticking it in the fridge and using that for my morning shake. Delish.

Hi everyone, I too go for my next fill on Oct. 13th so may see some of you there. I feel like I've been struggling the past few weeks.....this is when a local group meeting might prove helpful. The docs keep telling me that slower weight loss is better in the long run, but, oh how I envy those of you who can register those big numbers! *sigh* I guess the idea is not to compare myself and just be happy with what I've been able to accomplish. Well enough of that pity party!! I start core training next week so that should kick start some positive thoughts....funny how as much as I don't like to exercise I always feel better afterwards.

Thank you everyone for your wise advice. Did it ever help! I walked and walked and all the shoulder and neck pain went fast. As to Tylenol 3, who knew that would keep you awake! I stopped those after the first night.

I do find it hard to get in all the Water they want and know I'm dehydrated. I'm lucky to get 12 oz down in a day. I'm building up liquid capacity slowly. Warm definitely goes down better. I'm following Danielle's Phase 1 foods to the letter. I think my body misses fibre though... when does that straighten out?

Again thank you on line friends for your words of wisdom! Good luck everyone.

IWBAL - I am really sorry to hear about your last appointment, that may have been in part my fault. I was scheduled for 11:40 and didn't get in until shortly after 12. I had a really good long appointment with Terry.

I am almost 6 months post op, and havent had a fill since July. I still feel restriction, and end up purging a few times a week. I don't feel full during meals. I always feel like I can eat more. And then...I'm stuck. It sucks.

I can usually handle meals well throguhout the day with little excess eating, especially when I'm not at home, but evening are the absolute worst for me. I'm my own enemy. I watch TV and eat the stuff that the band lets through. Right now, my two biggest enemies are Sunflower Seeds (I'm a week sober from them, wish me luck), and Cereal (Corn Pops). I am still eating a lot during the evening out of habit, and I have to break this.

On the bright side, I haven't gained anything, but I've been playing with the same 2 lbs for weeks now.

Leslee, my next appointment is on Oct 20 in the evening as well. I'll introduce myself if I see you in the waiting room.

My last appointment with Terry was great. She told me that the docs/clinicians have been reading these posts and the posts on the Yahoo group, and they've decided to finally organize a support group. She was asking for my ideas, and we discussed the possibility of having those interested meet once or twice per month in person to discuss our experiences, ask questions, and meet with the docs in person if we're interested.

I see this as a step in the very right direction. Hopefully this pans out and we can all meet each other formally.

Take care and all the best to all the new bandsters. Remember, take it slow, you have the rest of your life to lose the weight and feel great!!!:smile: