Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kaiser Richmond Pre-op

ouch Mo, I dunno cause Ive never had really good restriction, I have a feeling my next fill July 23 will do it, but for now who knows - I hope someone can give you some advice so you dont have to get an unfill!

Remember Tina's too-tight experience? If you're too tight, don't count on losing a few lbs for it to loosen up. The opposite can happen, you can irritate your stomach causing swelling, making the band even tighter.

Mo, can you get Water down? How about other foods? I know I've had problems with Vitamins getting stuck (And I don't even have a band yet! Don't know how that happened). If you are serious about being too tight, don't let that turn into an ER visist.

I just had the fill Friday and was on Clear Liquids for the remainder of the evening. I did cheat and eat 1/2 of a cookie. It went down fine. Yesterday was full liquids and I had some clam chowder. I only ate a tiny bit of the potatos and clams, mostly the liquid. I am not sure how food will go down. Today I'm on pureeds. I plan to eat a scrambled egg in a bit. So we shall see. I can drink Water perfectly fine. It went down. I also had a several cups of tea and chicken broth on Friday night with no problem. I don't think it will be a unfill...major problem. I really think it was the rough a** Multivitamin. They are very course. My stool softener, BP meds went down fine. I am going to CVS to get some chewables. This isn't the first time I've exerienced getting stuck just the first time for that long...... Usually, a gulp of water gets it going..... I don't know?????

I just turned 27 last month. Dr. Baggs gave me a weight loss goal of only 12 lbs which surprised me. I know reading all the post on here I will be fine with the band. I am so happy I found this website on here, it has already been super beneficial for me.

So for all the people who have had the band already...how is it eating pureed foods/baby food? I was reading it and it kinda worries me! I cannot imagine doing all my foods in the blender! haha.

Oh and how can I add a picture to my profile? I like seeing everyones pictures...it makes me feel like I know you all. I am so happy to see so many people close to me also. I live in Citrus Heights...so I am thinking I may have to come to one of the Point West meetings. I work at Kaiser right up the street.

If you can get Water down and the other pills you mentioned, you are not too tight. Once you get back to regular food, make sure you chew good. Then if you pb at least once everyday I would be concerned. The one time I had to have the unfill it started with pb episodes and then all of a sudden water was coming back up too.

Be careful with staying on a liquid diet Tamra - although you may lose a lot of weight, you can become malnourished and eventually you will have to eat again and the weight will come back on. Better to eat now and be healthy.

I just finished making potato salad - my parents are coming over for Father's Day - gonna bbq hamburgers for them too - me I am going to have my Optifast bar. My bloodwork came back normal and I see the dr. this Tuesday - we are going to start transitioning back to regular food on Aug 3 and will be off the Optifast products by the end of August. I have learned alot about nutrition and other stuff and I am working on the head hunger.

Guest sodapop

Hey yall. just got back from the ER having a hard time...grr.

I have to now wash with this soap and use a cream because I got a HUGE RASH .yucky that thing in my neck I have to go in for another mini-surgery so they can drain it. I am on antibiotics. What a mess!

I am having a horrible time getting Water down. or anything down. I also have not go to the bathroom.

What can sleeve people take for Constipation? ?? Anyone know?

chrissy

Morning all............

MO:

Be care and watch it. As long as your getting Water down and not PB'ing to much you should be ok. If you do PB know your stomach swells and you end up tighter than before. Vicious cycle. I usually go on liquids the rest of the day if I PB. For me the first day after a fill is fine but I get tighter each day after until about the third day when I start to stablize. YOU DON'T WANT TO BE TO TIGHT!! That is why I went back and got some out last time. I was to close to being to tight and I don't do to tight at all now!! Forget losing fast and loosening it up......doesn't happen that fast. Last time I PB'd like 4 times in one day and I went back and got some out..........My body is weird I have sorta accepted that I am gonna stay at 5cc's. LOL.

If I eat protien I have awesome restriction right now. But sliders you wouldn't know I had a band!! LOL. So it is in my hands!! I am back to drinking 120 ounces of liquids but it takes me all day.

Just remember that if you do feel to tight they take out way less if you back right away than if you wait and swell your stomach. Dr. Baggs only took out .25 or so last time. Just enough to give me some breathing room!

Please be careful!!

TAMRA:

Yea I hear ya on the weight gain. I did that too but the thing is with me I rarely go up more than a couple pounds and than I stabilize. So your probably good. IF you stay on liquids to long you start to get dizzy anyway at least I do. I would love to see your new picture post as your avatar!! Next time you see Baggs you should give him a pack of gum and tell him your giving it up!! LOL. That time Liz got upset with that patient she made them clean out their purse and give her all their gum!! I was floored it was so uncomfortable to watch Dr. Baggs has a different approach he uses humor to make his point which works better for me!!

I am stuck at 212!! I so want to be 199.........working really hard on that. My goal is August 31, 2010. I am doing the protiens and staying stable which is better than gaining. I am going between 212 and 214 something has to give soon. I usually lose 5 at a time quickly than stuck for awhile than another five. So I know my 5 has to be coming soon.

PAM:

I agree on stuff coming out with weight loss. I am working big time on anxiety now. I didn't realize I had it so bad until I ended up in ER and they said it was a panic attack(or possibly undiagnosed asthma made worse by panic).......now that I am really thinking about it I know I have to go back to counseling and I think the anxiety is keeping me from losing as fast as I want to.............I am so there with you on working on my head hunger and whats behind it. I NEVER want to go to ER again.............had enough of it the last year!!

Edited by swrktp

Ash that is so awesome! That's a nice car! 9I need a green with envy smiley here)

Cole, I live in Citrus Heights also...and I see the docs at the Riverside Kaiser....small world. We will have to get together for some walks. I like to go up to Roseville and walk along the trails behind Sam's Club...we will need to meet. As long as you don't mind old people--Im 48! lol

I hope you all have a great fathers day!

I live in Antelope which is close to Citrus HEights and work in Rancho Cordova............I am also older I am 39 ;-) I guess that is why I can have a band!!! LOL!!

Tried to find that study about older people and the band but nothing so far. I hope it isn't something like the band gets old and has to come out or something. I will ask Dr. Baggs next time I see him. We also go back and forth with research ................I updated him on what I know and he updates me. Last time we talked about cognitive therapy!! and than I looked at my paperwork and he recommended I go to Cognitive therapy!! LOL. That had me rolling on the floor laughing!! He is funny!!

TAMRA no bread is a good thing!! I am there to although if I go really slow I can sometimes do it ( eating tofu hot dogs all weekend but only end up eating half the bread) But you lose faster with no bread!! I can't eat broccoli, rice, Pasta and bread and I like it that way!! ;-( except i love broccoli but the other stuff I don't need!! I bet there is other stuff you can't eat either..........

Mo- for sure! Friday is a better day for me, I actually have a child in my daycare on Thursday. I hope it gets better with your band :smile2: Wish I had the answers, although Pam's where great!

Guest sodapop

no one is talking to me anymore here.......:smile2:

hello? People?

ash-i need you home with me 24-7. Dave is going back to work tomorrow and I am scared. I come pick u up and steal your new pimp ride and you!

the new chick cole? I went to the er this morning and the er doctor I saw did her residency with plastic and bariatric surgery. She said they were "phasing out the band" I wonder if this is why Dr. Baggs was trying to talk you out of it?

Edited by sodapop
forgot something.

Hello Chrissy

Why were you in ER? are you still not able to eat or drink? What did they say? So sorry. Why is it so many of us have been in the ER lately? Not band related but it seems like quite a few of us have had to make a trip.

Ok I think that is probably right that Kaiser is phasing out the band. That makes more sense. I think the sleeve will take over........one the band doesn't have as much success statistically and two it takes tons of aftercare and from what head alot of ended up in ER over the winter with to tight bands. I think the sleeve and RNY only has to have appointments every 3 or 4 months. I know Kaiser discouraged the band whent I went to orientaion. They lived the RNY better.

Hmm.......I talk to Robin tomorrow I am gonna ask her. I will email Dr. Baggs. But if there is a good reason why or studies I would like to know whats up. I still have the sleeve in the back of my mind just becuase of the long term aftercare and my darn insurance issues. But like Pam I want to try to deal with the head hunger first and than maybe do a conversion later. Who know the head hunger issues might be solve more than any surgery.

I bet your right i bet they are phasing out the band after only doing them for 2 years........

Hi Everyone!

Been so busy it’s hard to keep up. I’m back working at Beale AFB and busy with lots of house projects… Weight loss has really slowed down as I’m only loosing 1-2 pounds a week now, but hey still losing so that’s good.

Changed my work schedule around the next couple weeks so I can have a long July 4th weekend in Oregon with some friends so I won’t be able to make the meeting. I’m bummed as I missed the last two being on the East coast.

Ash – Congrats on the car!

Chrissy – Welcome back and to the other side! Keeping things down the first couple months is a challenge. It will get better. I burped a lot the first couple weeks but no hiccups. Lots of stomach grumbling the first couple weeks with every sip… I drank some lemonade yesterday to fast and some came back up so it’s a learning lesson still four months post-op.

Congrats to all the losers! :smile2:

I did read somewhere that So Cal Kaiser was already phasing out the band....I can see that all the after care is hurting thier bottom line and Big Kaiser is not happy with that.

Chrissy, I am so sorry you are having issues...are they mostly with that "thing" in your neck? I didn't worry about getting anything in my stomach for a couple weeks. So just drink what you can--small sips all day.

What can sleeve people take for Constipation? ?? Anyone know?

chrissy

Sorry to hear you had to go to the ER. I would check with your doc but I've been told I can use either Metamucil or Benefiber. Sometimes I down a shot of MOM.