Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kaiser Richmond Pre-op

Morning all,

Wish I go to support tonight but my class is 6:30-9:30. As soon as I go to days June 1 I will be able to come! whoo hoo! Can't wait to see you Lee.

Tina - School has actually made me stress eat. I didn't think Dental was going to be this HARD. I didn't think easy either, but WOW. Who knew I had to know THIS MUCH just to hold some tools for a Dentist LOL. There's exam after exam, lectures all day, tons of homework, and volcab words you have to memorize and take a test on. It has deff. been a factor of "I need a bag of chips". We have a taco truck that comes around 7:30 pm, and of course its nothing but Snacks, fries, burritos, tacos, etc. I have yet to buy anything but just knowing it comes and people bring the food back to the class sucks.

BUT on a good note? Down another 3 lbs at 227.0!! yay! Almost lost another 4 lbs! but with the pouch test today is soft Proteins. I don't even want to eat because if the scale goes back up tomorrow I will be sad! I love seeing it move!!

Any advice on soft Proteins? tuna, cheese?

Try this Tamra,

Baked Ricotta

8 oz of Ricotta cheese (you can use low fat)

1/2 cup grated Parmesan

1 large Egg, beaten

1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning

salt & pepper to taste

1/2 cup Marinara Sauce (I used no sugar added sauce)

1/2 cup shredded Mozzarella Cheese

Mix ricotta cheese, parmesan, beaten egg, seasonings together and place in a oven proof dish. Pour marinara on top and top with mozzarella cheese. Bake it in the oven @ 450 for about 20-25 minutes (best) or nuke it till hot and bubbly. I usually bake it first in the oven and heat the leftovers in the microwave.

I placed a scoop in cupcake pan that I sprayed with non-spray and baked inside that pan. Made nice little serving sizes.

Morning all, I am VERY nervous about my eye surgery in a little over an hour . . yes Kaiser is doing that one for my outpatient co-pay, $10 because it is medically necessary - the redundant skin over my eyes forces me to tilt my head back to see, and that hurts my next & upper back. So THAT is covered.

The breast lift and Tummy Tuck are NOT covered. I was quoted $7000 for a lift and augmentation, but I don't want the augmentation so the cost of the actual implants (like $500 each) will be backed out of there - otherwise, it's the same procedure. I have not gotten the quote on the tummy yet; he just said no to panniculectomy only, and I go see him (naked) on Monday for a quote.

Kaiser will cover the breast reduction for your co-pay if you have a history of problems (back pain, trench marks in shoulders from bra straps, rash, etc. AND they take 500 grams from EACH BREAST. That is a ginormous amount! And you have to be w/in 20 lbs of goal weight AND under 180 lbs. before you can get it. They will cover a panniculectomy ONLY if your pannus hangs to your knees and interferes with movement.

SO. I will be self-pay, but Chris has offered to help and I am planning on putting $400 a month into my deferred comp account, which I can turn around and loan back to myself at 0% interest. Hopefully that will drop me into a lower tax bracket so it will feel more like $200 a month . . . which I should make up for by getting my 18 year old off of my health insurance. Still, I don't make my monthly obligations right now so it's a total leap of faith. It will take me a year to save it, and Chris's next-year's income-tax return, so I'm still a year out from the breast lift and tummy tuck.

K off to get my files together here at work, then a hop-skip over to Kaiser for my IV and no-care juice :w00t:

Any advice on soft Proteins? tuna, cheese?

My best band foods (fill the pouch without getting "stuck" or PBing) are fish - including tuna, but not slathered in mayo - and nuts baby, nuts. Specifically, a mix of macadamias, cashews and almonds. Macadamias are extremely low in carbs (1 net carb per serving), but high in fat and calories (210 cals a serving) and low in Protein so they need some almonds and cashews to go with 'em. I love cheese but it doesn't fill my pouch like nuts and fish do.

Tamra, LOL I am (was, in an earlier life) RDA, CDA with expanded funtions, x-ray, coronal polish! Ha, it's fun you will like it - SO worth it!! Very important to find the right dentist tho :-)

Good Luck today Riley and have a nice time on your happy juice. Wow skin has to be hanging down to our knees for them to cover it. I wonder how much it costs if you pay for it. If the whole Tummy Tuck is more expensive I don't see how they can make you get that as opposed to the pannelectomy.

I wouldn't call nuts a soft Protein though as far as the pouch test goes. I for one have a hard time stopping at just a little bit of nuts. Do you like egg salad Tamra? Even one hard boiled egg with a little mayo and mustard is alot as far as quantity goes. I ate so much of it last year that I can't stomach even one bite of egg. But it got me through a long period of time.

GOOD LUCK RILEY!! OMG I know what everything is you said! Reg Dental Assistant, Certified Dental Assistant (RDAEF). I learned something in school !!! LOL!! I want to also shoot for CDA, and hopefully will land in an Orthodontist practice or even an Endodontist.

Pam I didn't know nuts were okay, I thought they were a slider? yummy!! I don't eat eggs, so the egg salad idea is out, but I LOVE tuna, and have some here at home.

Thanks for the recipe Alli I ran to safeway and got everything I needed for it!

Tamara, I also just found some Starkist Salmon in individual containers that are packed in very little Water so they don't need drained. I like that with a bit of mayo for a change of pace from tuna.< /p>

Tamra - I didn't say nuts were okay - I said they wouldn't be considered a soft Protein. Nuts do contain protein but they also have a lot of calories. Do you like canned chicken breast? Whatever you do to tuna you can do to canned chicken breast.

Has anyone had any experience with putting the food you have on the pouch test on your food log and then giving it to Robin? I would be prepared to explain it when she reviews the food log next week.

Riley you must be done about now!! Thinking about you!! So how many days do you get off work?

Tamra: Dental is a good field once your done you should have a good career. And I always wanted to be an orthodontist. Never headed that way but it sounds so fun.

I have to do the food logs and as much as I would like to do the pouch (yep I am stuck at 10 and a very noticiable reduction in restriction now) I wouldn't want to run the pouch test by Robin. In fact I was sick last weekend and the Soup and popsicles...........well I put them on the food log cause it is honest......but it lookes like three days of sliders. And yep I lost but I think I will put in a comment that I was sick. LOL.

RObin never called me back I think she is busy. I called her back and left a message so I think I am good. Maybe she wil wait until after I fax her the log for this week and call me next week.

Well work is way crazy. I have to go offline..............catching up sux!! LOL. I have been here since 6am and will probably on time. I just wanna get it over with so I don't have to workt his weekend.

I asked Dr. Baggs once about the pouch test and he said, "What is that?" LOL. I tried to explain it and his comment is "but why?" LOL. He said that is against the lap band rules but I was telling him it is to test the pouch is not streched.........he laughed!! So I don't know what the medical opinion of the pouch test is!! LOL. THey probably think it is a fad diet or something!! But I tell you it works.........I know AUDSMOM did it and went down fast too.

I have never done it more than a day!! :-( Being vegetarian sorta makes it hard.

Ok serious I have to get off here and take a break until I get caught up. I may not be on for a few days!! LOL.

The pouch test lasts like a week doesn't it? It is going through all the post op food phases, but only like a day of each stage. I don't think they are keen on it as it is a temporary fix - which is why I think people do it in the first place - to drop a few pounds quickly for an appointment etc.

Riley - does it look like they moved your eyebrows? When my grandma had that surgery and we took her home she will still a little loopy and looked in the mirror and wondered why they put her eyebrows so high - silly it was her stitches. Not sure if that is how they still do it nowadays though.

Okay I just spoke to Richmond they called me and my appt. was canceled and changed to JUNE 8TH!!! AHHHHH!!!