Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

popcorn

I have a friend that has been banded for two years and she eats popcorn all the time with absolutely no problem. I've been banded since April '08 -- and I've been eating popcorn with no issue either. In fact, it's become one of my favorite foods. It has never gotten stuck and when I go to the movies I can eat popcorn and have a soda (at the same time as opposed to not drinking with meals). Granted, I can't and don't want to eat a large popcorn:biggrin:! Imagine my surprise when I saw popcorn on one of the lists of "tough" foods. My other friend who is banded has no problem either. It may be one of those things where some people have problems and some don't. I'm at 8.1cc of a 10cc Emmi band which is pretty tight for me and I can still eat it.

Thanks SBNYC for your input. I was just banded 6 days ago, and of course still on liquids, but was just wondering for later on about popcorn. Also I hear about food getting stuck and how painful it is. What do you do to relieve the pain and how long does it last?

popcorn is too easy to eat, even when you are tightly restricted. It is also empty calories since there is not much of nutritional value and it can be very high in calories and sodium if you are eating it with butter. I use 0 calorie butter. Even with tight restriction, I can eat an unlimited supply of popcorn.

Do you know how many calories are in the popcorn at the movies with their "topping?" You may be exceeding your daily calories just at the movies with this one snack if you are not careful.

Soda, or any carbonated beverages, are also not healthy for bandsters, it is well known to stretch the pouch and almost every doctor bans it completely. For the health of your band, it should be avoided.

I do like popcorn on occasion, but I only make it at home so I can control the calories. It is a great snack in moderation.

I was banded in March! I just ate popcorn for the 1st time this weekend. We went to the movies and I have to admit I'm not sure how much I ate but I know it was more than 1 cup. It was soooo goood!

Yes-- extra fake butter on top!

I too can eat popcorn without any problems, I know that if you have the good popcorn (at the movies) it is allot of callories, but what the heck its a small treat every one in awhile. I say what the heck LOL

V

Me and my band LOVE popcorn. I am careful about the amount of calories and would not eat the theater popcorn. I treat myself to one 100cal bag every night. I pop one for myself, DH and black lab.

I had buttered theatre popcorn at the movies this past weekend. It went down very easily, no problem. I have not had that snack in a year, so let me tell you I enjoyed all the empty wasted calories of it.

However, I also increased my workout that day and cut back on calories else where. This is a once a year snack for me, because I just cannot afford all those empty calories.

A small bag of theatre popcorn with butter on it can easily have 950 calories. Yep, 950 calories. You can do a GOOGLE search to verify it. :tongue2:

Thanks SBNYC for your input. I was just banded 6 days ago, and of course still on liquids, but was just wondering for later on about popcorn. Also I hear about food getting stuck and how painful it is. What do you do to relieve the pain and how long does it last?

I have had food stuck twice now. The first was painfull, the 2nd time no pain, just mental frustration after realizing I wasn't able to keep anything down and I was feeling drained and hungry. The pain though is like the constant chest pain of the ate too much or have gas feeling along with burning sensation.

Well...to top it off, I tried to wait it out and see if it would eventually "digest" and pass or to see if I could purge it out myself. Neither worked.

One the first lodging, they did a complete UNFILL. It was a relief BUT VERY DEVESTATING to my moral. Lets just say,zero restriction---and the wierdest part was when I drank a cold or hot beverage, I felt it go straight down to the bottom part of the stomach. The doctor left it unfilled for 2 weeks to aide in healing. Then I was back on track for SLOW fills. IT took nearly 6 weeks to get me back up to where I was before. I GAINED 15 POUNDS!!!

The 2nd time, I waited it out, but after 6 days of not being able to even keep liquids down (not even sips). I had to go in. He said due to waiting and all of the unneccessary purging, I caused unneeded irritaton and swelling...thus the explanation on liquids.

I BEGGED him not to due a complete unfill. I didn't like the gain the last time and how I had felt about it. So he did a partial (0.5 cc) and it was enough to get it down.

SO...my lesson was learned. Chew - chew - chew. I know the first time was because I got startled with one of my children falling and without thinking I just swallowed what I had just put into my mouth out of reflex.

The second time I tried a new nut and dried fruit mix.

Me and my band LOVE popcorn. I am careful about the amount of calories and would not eat the theater popcorn. I treat myself to one 100cal bag every night. I pop one for myself, DH and black lab.

Apples, my chocolate lab LOVES popcorn too. It cracks me up. I'm glad to know she's not the only one.

Apples, my chocolate lab LOVES popcorn too. It cracks me up. I'm glad to know she's not the only one.

Christy...I want a chocolate brother for my lab soooooooo badly. My DH won't allow it....some day my chocolate will just show up at our house@@@@@@@@@@

popcorn always goes down good, and even the micro kind can be ok in calories, even when you eat the whole bag. Some only have 80 cal per serving. a two serving bag is 160 cal. a big bag i think is 4 servings. 320 calories, a meal. high in Fiber, satisfies the snack craving.

I was banded in May of 2007 and eat popcorn almost every night with my kids. Its air popped but have def ate popcorn at the movies (most theatres around here let you put on your own butter so I just don't use any unless I really feel like a treat). I have never had a problem and am very happy cuz it was one of my fave foods before banding!