Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scared and Confused

Hello I am new to this forum and have been reading alot of your post...I am from Louisiana and am considering weight-loss surgery I wanted lap-band because I am afraid of Gastric and my sister had it 3 years ago and lost and put back 80 lbs. The seminar has really discouraged me on the lap-band its like they kept on pushing the gastric..They basically tell you that if you don't have the will power now ,you won't have it then and how they have more complications with the lap band..I have struggled with my weight since my teens.....I need to lose weight but I don't want to risk my life to do it,if anyone has any info. please share it with me....:lol: :thumbup:

Hello, Pezo, and welcome to LBT.

Last June, I had the same experience as you. I came on this board and found a different surgical group. I went to their seminar a week later, and was pleasantly surprised that not all seminars are created equal. The second surgical group was much more band friendly, and I felt that I would have the support I needed from them. I'm now two months out from surgery and have lost almost 30 lbs.

Good luck to you.

Pezo... I have never been to a seminar where they actually pushed gastric.. Most doctors enourage lap band ... but to each his own I guess. I would suggest you do a lot of research before making your decision. You have to be mentally ready to maket his kind of change. I researched both procedures for over 7 years and went to multiple seminars until I finally went to the most recent seminar in June 08 and found my doctor. He is an amazing doctor and makes you believe in yourself. If you want to loose weight you will..Not it is not easy there is not magic pill for weight loss if there was none of us would be having this surgery ha ha Yes it does required changes in your life, but you would be surprise the will power you find when you are spending so much money and finally being given the help you need to succeed.. My doctor told me that lap band should not be hard, but I guess that is a matter of opinion. The hardest part is chaning your life. Once you change your life style it gets pretty easy. I used to find it hard to decide on what to eat and that is why I always made bad choices, but now I can pretty much eat what I want with the exception of fast food and I make sure I am only eating 1 cup of food and with the band it should help you be satisfied so you wont get hungry.. There are times you may get hungry sooner and that indicates you might need a fill.

Also, I used to not be very active and now I love going for my 2 mile walks and getting up and moving around.. You find when you can start doing things that you enjoy it.. Just keep doing your research and talking to people and make the decision that is right for you..

The bad thing about gastric is yes they can loose weight quicker, but if they dont eat right they can stretch their stomach back out and then the whole thing was for nothing, but with the band if you get hungry you can have it tightened and there are less complications with the band..

Well good luck and best wishes to you. Let me know if I can help in any other way and keep us posted :thumbup:

Hey Pezo! I'm a newbie also, but have spent A LOT of time researching this, so I thought I'd share my perspective as a Newbie. First, spend the time to research as much as you can, it's not hard to find the information. Second, share as much as you can. I've found that the more details about your situation you share the better the information and details you'll get back (eg. BMI, Insurance details, specific questions, etc.). Without knowing your details I'll give you my examples...I'm a low BMI, my particular insurance covers WLS bu it's very vague, I only have 1 big comorbidity and didn't know the smaller ones, so I got lots of help here on those issues by sharing my situation. So share and you'll get answers here!

I'll tell you that I've got the luxery of many hospitals in my area to chose from for the Lap. I've already been to 2 different seminars and I go to a 3rd on tomorrow. The first, St. Margarets- Dr. Mean was very anti-Lap he even went so far as to say "For any of you with diabetes you're going to have a hard time convicing me to give you the Lap Band." Now I don't have diabetes, but I was turned off by his approach. Second one was Magee- Dr. Eid, totally different approach. He left it in your hands but was very blunt about the positives and negatives of each. I go to the AGH one tomorrow.

There was no question after my research that the Lap is the best answer for me. It's about as safe a surgery as there is for an otherwise healthy person. I can follow any diet and I've lost massive amounts on several, so I know well the work that I'll have to do to make the Lap work for me. I just need something to help me not feel so hungry. Now I'll have a sister who is morbidly obese (all 5 kids are actually), has never stuck to a diet, or anything else she's started for that matter. I've kept the difference between us in mind and I know that bypass would be the only choice for her, and only if she could commit to the rules for that.

Good luck on your start...and SHARE, SHARE, SHARE!:thumbup:

Hi,

Whatever you do please don't be discouraged. They told me the same thing I went with what best suited me which was the lapband. You have to understand that whatever you decide to get it's just a tool you are going to have to help it to succeed. I got my lapband August 2007 Dr. Spiegel in Houston completed my surgery he told me from day one that it's only a tool and I have to be the one to make it work. I have changed my eating habit, and start exercising I have lost a total of 90 pounds. It was a struggle but, I did not give up and I have gain my life back I feel great and look great. Please do not be discourage because you are at risk if you do not have the surgery!

Edited by Linda Lee
To encourage and support!

Thanks your info was very helpful.....I am 42 years old and a mother of 3.....2 girls and a son with Autism which is why I don't want to risk my life for weight....However I have faught my weight since age 13.....I have a bmi of 44 and that is not good I too don't have any other issues...I have lost weight but it always comes back plus...I am very active except here I am not able to move around like I used too due to a foot and ankle problems that only seem to be getting worse....I think if I just wasn't sooo hungrey all of the time I could do it....My sister was very in-active and had never really dieted and she put back all of her weight and she doesn;t absorb her medications well since the surgery....I am very hopeful that this could work...