Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band Safety

I haven't talked to you guys in foreva!!

So with all the news about leaching chemicals from plastics, etc, etc, I'm wondering if anyone has considered how safe our hunk of plastic is inside our bodies. Have any of you questioned your docs or have you heard any news via the lapbandtalk grapevine? I'd like to hear anything you may have gleaned. Thanks!

Hi Linda, nice to hear from you. I try not to think too much about that. I've put my trust in this based on the fact that it wouldn't have been on the market all these years without it being safety tested.

For now, I'll take our hunk of plastic over 115 pounds of fat any day.

What news about plastic leaking? Is there a specific device that they were talking about? I must live in a bubble. I never heard about this. Well, it's too late now. That hunk of plastic isn't going anywhere while I've got 60 more pounds to lose!

My band is all silicone except for the titanium in the back of the port so...no I'm not worried...I asked my doctor about what it was made of and stuff before getting it done...it's made to last...it's built Ford tough!!!! lol

Cindy, I'm not talking about the band leaking, I'm talking about just in general the plastics that are out there. Have you heard of BPA in plastic and cans? Just google it and you'll find lots of info. That's what I was concerned about.

Linda,

I understand your concern with having a foreign body placed inside you, but I don't think there is much to worry about. As others have pointed out, the lapband is silicone and is unlikely to be causing any ill effects. Also, remember that is it in a pretty neutral place OUTSIDE your stomach in you abdominal cavity. Like BandPal said, I'd worry more about the effects from the fat than the silicone. (Bandpal - BTW - your new picture is fabulous).

I'm an environmental consultant, and I spend my days assessing risk and figuring out how to clean up waste sites. The older I get, the more I understand that no matter how much you think you are doing to successfully avoid one risk, you are likely being exposed to dozens that you know nothing about. BPA is ubiqitous in our environment these days; and, like thousands of other chemicals, we have yet to understand its risks to humans or the ecosystem.

In my humble opinion, worry will cause you more long-term harm than most chemical exposure risks. It makes sense to avoid exposures to bad things when you can, but the best things you can probably do for yourself are: don't smoke, lose weight, wear your seatbelts, relax, be kind to others, and try to live a happy life.

None of us gets out of this alive, and we might as well have fun and make other people happy in the time we have.

Thanks for the perspective Foofy.

So an environmental consultant? You're like my new person to look up to. I'm a huge environmentalist on a personal level. How do you go about getting the kind of job you have? I'd love to help the environment and get paid.

Well thanks Linda. That's nice to hear. There are certainly lots of ways to help the environment, especially if you want to volunteer. There are also lots of great environmental careers in many interesting specialties.

My road involved a lot of school and now 26 years of experience. I hope I am helping; but, like so many issues in life, nothing is as simple as it first appears. My work involves a whole lot of weighing what works for the greater good and how to comply with environmental laws. Trust me - I'm not doing anything exciting or glamorous. ;o)

Sounds kind of like when I decided being a pilot would be cool. FYI, ANYONE can learn how to fly a plane, and it's pretty darn unglamarous as well!

See, you think that's cool, don't you? I'm telling you anyone can fly an airplane. I used to be a flight instructor before I had my son. I don't do it anymore though. I'm a stay at home mom now.