Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Should I or Shouldn't I?

:blink:I don't know what to do. Just a little background I am 27, 6' tall male that weights 300 lbs. I run 3 to 5 days a week and lift weights 6 days a week. My lean weight is 230 lbs (body fat test). I am in law enforcement and the way things are going right now I have been chasing people and jumping fences about every night now. I have no problem catching people or getting over stuff. I am tired of being fat and went to my doctor to talk to him about Adipex and weight loss. The first thing he suggested was the lap bad. The reason I am having so much trouble is with my extremely heck tick life style I am lucky if I get a dinner break and I eat what ever I can get my hands on.

What it boils down to is I battling depression because I can't stand the way I look. I have heard the lap band is not as successful as once thought, that most people are gaining the weight back soon after they lose it. I don't know if I should have the surgary or not. My main questions are how long is the recovery period? I only get two weeks of vacation next year and my brass will not look kindly if I have to call in sick for this type of surgery. Also, do a lot of people have complication with this surgery? Is there some foods that you can never eat again? Any comments would be helpful. Just looking for a little guidance.

Hi there and welcome to LBT. If you have two weeks of vacation, you will be fine if you decide to get the band. Most people do fine with one week off from work. Many go back sooner, but based upon your line of work, I would definitely take a full week.

The band is a tool. If you decide to go with it, you have to understand it is not going to do all the work for you. You have to be willing to commit to eating the right foods and exercise. It sounds like you already have the exercise portion down pat. The band will restrict the amount of food you are able to eat. However, if you eat junk food all the time, or eat around the band by eating things like ice cream, then you most likely won't be very successful with it. So, along with the band, you have to be willing to eat healthier foods.

As far as gaining the weight back, I have not heard of many people having that problem. I believe once you reach goal, as long as you maintain a healthy lifestyle you should be fine. The great thing about the band is, if you find yourself gaining, you can always get more fill to help you control your intake again.

The band would be great for you because you are young and active. Also being male helps too, because guys seem to loose quickly! Personally the band has been good for me because it has made me more mindful of what I eat without feeling deprived. What you do eat after banding is a lot of lean Protein. Being prepared and having things ready to eat is helps so much. One thing I often make is chili. Tons of Protein, easy to throw in a to go container and go. I also eat a lot of Boca bugers--just throw them in the microwave and slap some mustard, ketchup, pickles and low fat cheese and you have a meal.

For quick Snacks on the go I buy light string cheese and light applesauce cups. There are also lots of different ready to go Protein shakes (Atkins is my fav). Just having these things on hand helps me make good choices when it comes to Snacks.< /p>

The biggest plus is that you can endulge. If I'm at a party I can have what everyone else is eating and cake and deserts, just not a ton of it.

I would say go for it!

Hi, I too work with law efforcement and I can certainly relate to having a hectic life, missing meals, and eatting junk on the go. So I decided to give it a go myself, I had my surgery only 6 days ago but I feel so proud of myself for begining a new healthly life. I've had no complications thus far only adjustments to eatting smaller portions, much much smaller portions. :-) I say go for it and join us LapBanders!

good for you Keisha! i am 5 months out of surgery, have lost little over 40 pounds now, ready for my 2nd fill. It feels like I finally am back in control and on the right path! good luck!

i can tell you that i have lost 40 pounds, which is a drop in the bucket as to what i need to lose (and intend to lose!).. but i FEEL SO MUCH BETTER! The energy you regain is unreal! i am back to swimming regularly in the summer and have started horseback riding again! I wouldn't get on the poor animal until i got some of the weight off! lol! You sound like you have a good head on your shoulders! You'll make the right decision! Hang in there and good luck!