Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How are the banded Notorious Novembers???

Hi everyone,

I'm so happy I started eating real food again today, well actually yesterday! I cheated by 1 day. yesterday I had some scrambled eggs, and mashed potatoes. Today I made homemade chili! I ate about 1 cup with some cheese and sour cream.

I have a question though....what is slimming? I have heard alot about this, when you eat too much or almost get something stuck. what exactly does it feel like? just want to be prepared. I have not had any problems yet, but did have some gruggling today. thanks for any feed back :thumbup:

It feels like you are choking. You want to swallow, but you really can't. I have had the feeling a more than I want to. It mostly happens, when I am not really paying attention to my food and I don't chew properly. I can say that it rarely happens, but when it does, it gets you back on track. LOL!

what's the difference between slimming and PB?

Sliming is when something gets stuck when it tries to go through the band. As a result your stomach begins to produce a lot of phlegm-type stuff to get it out, and it's rather slimy. So while the food remains stuck, 5 minutes or an hour, you're constantly spitting up this slime stuff that really just makes you want to vomit. Eventually, the food that is stuck will be moistened (by the slime) to the point that it goes through the band, at which point you stop sliming.

PB is a "productive burp" which is basically when you're eating a meal and you've got too much in your pouch. You burp thinking it's just air, but everything you've eaten that is in your pouch just comes up with the burp. No stomach acid or anything, so it's not like you're throwing up - it's just all the food you chewed and swallowed coming back up into your mouth.

Sliming is when something gets stuck when it tries to go through the band. As a result your stomach begins to produce a lot of phlegm-type stuff to get it out, and it's rather slimy. So while the food remains stuck, 5 minutes or an hour, you're constantly spitting up this slime stuff that really just makes you want to vomit. Eventually, the food that is stuck will be moistened (by the slime) to the point that it goes through the band, at which point you stop sliming.

PB is a "productive burp" which is basically when you're eating a meal and you've got too much in your pouch. You burp thinking it's just air, but everything you've eaten that is in your pouch just comes up with the burp. No stomach acid or anything, so it's not like you're throwing up - it's just all the food you chewed and swallowed coming back up into your mouth.

Slimming- PB'ing it ALL sounds painful so thanks Jamie cause you just scared the crap out of me ..lol..:cool2:

How's every one doing... I must confess that I cheated on my Diet yesterday and had a small brownie!! I have been DIEING for something sweet and Jello or a popsical wasn;t going to touch it.:lol: I went to the Dr's and I'm down another 3lbs I wanted to 5lbs so i'm kickin my keester for goin off diet!! I figured if I didn't eat it the whole pan would be fair game. :wink_smile: The good news is I'm on my way to solids Dr. gave me the thumbs up no more mushies:thumbup:

Slimming- PB'ing it ALL sounds painful so thanks Jamie cause you just scared the crap out of me ..lol..:cool2:

Well I'm defintly scared!! :w00t:

maybe i'll just stay on my mushies for a while. :lol:

There's no reason to be scared ladies! As far as I can tell, PB'ing only happens when you've eaten too much. So, if you pay attention to Portion Control and you listen to your body when it says "I'm FULL!" then you shouldn't have a problem with that.

Now, as far as sliming goes, that's avoidable by just making sure to eat moist foods - especially meat. Stay away from dry turkey and chicken, and stringy meats like beef and pork. There's really nothing to be scared of.

You know, these things are going to happen to all of us eventually. But don't get so paranoid that you only eat 5 things for the rest of your life! Just remember the Bandster Mantra - "Chew Chew Chew" - and you should be good to go!

:wink_smile:

I was banded on 11/6/08 and lost 13lbs almost immideately. Now Im losing nothing and its very frustrating. I work out 5 to 6 times per week and I think I am doing pretty well with the diet stuff. Portions are good and the choices are almost good! Is anyone else having the same issues or am I being impatient?

I was banded on 11/6/08 and lost 13lbs almost immideately. Now Im losing nothing and its very frustrating. I work out 5 to 6 times per week and I think I am doing pretty well with the diet stuff. Portions are good and the choices are almost good! Is anyone else having the same issues or am I being impatient?

Me too! All but 2lbs for me were immediately post-op, we're talking within 5 days. It's been a looooong month, I'll tell you that. I just had my first fill on Friday so hopefully that'll do the trick!

Hi Novembers..... So am I the only one who got my surgery in November and haven't started losing yet? I got my surgery 11/11/08 and just today got my first fill. I did not lose a pound yet. I have not felt the slightest bit different as far as hunger goes yet. Hopefully the fill today will help that. I have a 10cc band and at the surgery had 1 cc. Today they added 4 more for a total of 5. Please tell me I am not the only one who hasn't started losing. I am so excited for everyone who is losing but at the same time I am getting really discouraged I haven't lost anything yet. What am I doing wrong? I haven't gained either but I just haven't lost. Help!! Any good words?

HI Everyone! I was banded on Nov. 20th and things have been going great. I have lost 20 pounds since my surgery. I had very little pain post op and everything has been going great. Then today I had this severe pain in my stomach, near my port area and it has lasted all day. Even causing some back pain on the same side. Can anyone help me with what this might be? I did pick up a case of Water at the store and did a few other things around the house. I am hoping I just over did it a little and things will be back on track tomorrow. Any advice would be very welcome!! I am trying to get one of the tickers on my signature any advice would be great!! Keep going we can do it!!:tt1:

Hi all.

I was banded Nov 25th and am down 30 lbs so far. Today I started mushies! Had grits for Breakfast ..first time ever for me a NY boy. Not bad. I actually ran on the treadmill at the gym today. You can really feel the difference running even with only 30 lbs off. I should be ok from the doc to start lifting weights again a week from tomorrow. So far so good

Hey thanks for the info on PB and sliming. I was wondering what they meant. Thankfully, I have not had any of those problems. I was banded on 11/24 and beginning my 3rd week post-op and I've lost 13 pounds. My only problem is that I can't burp. I rarely burp, but my surgeon says it's normal and that eventually I will again.

I have to admit. I haven't been too diligent about my diet. I was supposed to be on liquids for 2 wks, but I started eating solids on the 2nd half of week 2. Now, I'm supposed to be on mushies for a week, but I can eat practially anything without any ill effects. Well, excpet for chicken and steak. I learned that the hard way. OY! I hope I don't pay for this in the future. I just hope I'm one of the lucky ones.

Thanks for all your stories and advice!!:tt1:

Hi Novembers..... So am I the only one who got my surgery in November and haven't started losing yet? I got my surgery 11/11/08 and just today got my first fill. I did not lose a pound yet. I have not felt the slightest bit different as far as hunger goes yet. Hopefully the fill today will help that. I have a 10cc band and at the surgery had 1 cc. Today they added 4 more for a total of 5. Please tell me I am not the only one who hasn't started losing. I am so excited for everyone who is losing but at the same time I am getting really discouraged I haven't lost anything yet. What am I doing wrong? I haven't gained either but I just haven't lost. Help!! Any good words?

Hard to answer this without knowing what and how you are eating really. Are you following the band rules? Exercising? Eating low carb and reduced fat, avoiding empty calories including liquid calories?

Hi Fellow Notorious Novembers,

I'm doing okay - the transition from mushies to more 'full food' has been easy - too easy! I only lost a pound last week, and I'm not really happy about that!:tt1:

I think I need to put the Protein shakes back into my plan, though my doctor's office wants their patients to eat 'whole food' rather than depend on shakes and such. My head hunger still rages on - it's an effort to eat according to plan, especially when I'm not feeling a LOT of restriction.

I do realize when I'm getting full, and I stop eating. I know I'm eating fewer calories - the clothes are getting looser and I have more stamina. The stairs from the train station to the street level used to have me huffing and puffing, now I run up the stairs and am barely winded at the top.

As a type II diabetic, I was hoping for more (and faster results) with my blood sugar numbers - they were really low the week after surgery, but have been increasing pretty steadily since then. I'm back on the Lantus insulin, but only taking one pill instead of two different ones, so that's good.

I'm plugging along - the only other struggle I'm having is that I'm COLD all the time! No matter what I do, unless I'm sipping tea (or heaven forbid, hot chocolate) I'm ALWAYS cold! Hope that passes soon - and I'm investing in sweaters and turtlenecks until it does!:tt1:

Nice to see everyone doing well - let's keep it going!:whistle: