Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Exercise? What exercise?

So i went to my first fill appointment and the Dr was askin me about my exercise...

What exercise?

I have been so busy i have not had a chance to even remotely think about exercising.....

I have a 1 yr old and i am doing classes online and working part-time.....where do i fit in exercise...?

I refuse to walk outside in this 90+ heat....uh uh not me

So what do you all do for your exercise? Do you do it everyday the way we are "suppost" to?

My fiance said we are gonna start walkin at night...yea right....only thing i wanna do is sleep at night.....the day is just too short...

I haul my tired rig out of bed in the morning and do a half hour to 45 min on the treadmill. I hate it, but I do it. Almost every day too.

But I'm single....I have NEVER figured out how folks with family fit it all in!!

You schedule your time. I know how pressed your are for time, I'm a full time student and I work 20 hours a week as well. My baby is a little older than your's. Okay, a lot older than yours. the spring semester I spent 20 hours a week on just one class worth of homework. But always make sure I take a PE class every single semester. Since you are taking on line courses, you will probably need something a little different.

Dance with your baby, even if you are just doing a two step shuffle.

get an excersize dvd or tape. I recommend pilaties. Or belly dancing. Or both!

walk in the evening, or walk in the cooler morning.

House cleaning counts as excersize. Not that I particularly like this form.

Iam the worst to give advice on exercise but here is what I have been doing lately 3xs a week I seem to exercise more on the summer months.

stationary bike 20 minutes

free weight for my arms every night when I watch TV, for 10 minutes you'd be supirsed at the difference it makes in toning the flab and sculpting your arms

In this heat I have been swimming in place with bouys and I have arm buoys to do my arm exercises

20 minutes a day is all it takes, somethin is better then nothin

We all have excuses not to exercise, I have 3 boys, runnin them around town during thesummer, I run a business and I take care of this household and all it's duties but I find the time, I deserve it, even if it is just my arm exercises.

It has been my experience that--after the initial 2-3 wks of my body's protest--I have more energy to deal with EVERYTHING when I exercise. Any time spent exercising will ultimately give you more energy, therefore more time to get all the things you need to do done.

I get up every morning and do 12-25 minutes on my elliptical trainer and then just after dark at night I walk my dog for an hour. I often do not feel like doing either of these things. I have a deal with myself that I only have to get to 12 minutes on the elliptical and then I can stop and a deal with the dog that I only have to walk her around the block once. If I FEEL like going farther after meeting those minimums then I do--but if I don't I stop and still feel like I SUCCEEDED in keeping my goal. Guess how often I feel like going farther? I'd say about 90% of the time. It seems with almost any exercise the hardest part is gettin one's ass past 1st gear!

Also, I highly recommend an IPOD. I loooooooove my IPOD. Music is a MUST for me and exercise. Now I can make all these cool playlists for different activity levels and anytime I hear a song I want to walk to I can come home and download if for .99. IPODs are expensive but nothing compared to what we've spent on this surgery. A VERY worthwhile investment. If anyone's interested in songs to workout to I've got some great suggestions.

I am looking for some good workout songs to put on my iPod. Please share your suggestions.

Hi Barb,

I'll sit down and compile a list this weekend and post it under a new thread. I think it would be great to share our faves! Look for "Music to Move By" coming to this forum soon!

from a person who always used to claim an excercise allergy.......Never found anything I didn't truly hate!!!!!

I discovered yoga about six months ago. I take three- five one and a half hour classes a week. I love it. It is hard and much more strenuous than I ever imagined. I thought it would just be some stretching and since I have always been pretty limber I figured it wouldn't be too hard...wrong, LOL!!!! I spend most of that 90 minutes sweating with shaking muscles from holding some lunge or push-up type position. It is a real work-out. But once you finish with meditation and relaxing, you leave feeling refreshed not weak and tired. Give yoga a try, you may like it as much as I do.

Once you dedicate yourself to making it a priority, it will become one. Do you have time for television? If so, why not by a step from Walmart (cheaper than a treadmill or other machine) and just climb up and down from the step for 30 minutes during a show? It's amazing the amount of exercise you'll get. During your lunch break at work you can take 20 minutes and walk around the perimeter of your building. As soon as your body adjusts to the exercise you can up your routine. Exercise has a whole bunch more benefits than just your waistline. You might even find that it gives you time to seperate from the chaos of the rest of your day.

I too hate to exercise. Here in TX it's HOT HOT HOT!!! The other night I was exhausted and my husband asked if I was going to walk. At first I said no, but then I went and put on my walking shoes and went for 30 minutes.

Tonight we took our kids to our community pool. While they played, I swam some and just did some excercises that I remember from Water aerobics. I know I'll be sore tomorrow more so than just a walk.

The key is find what you enjoy and do it. Start slowly and then add to it.

You can do it. You did the surgery for you. Now you need to make TIME for you!

Don't think of it as excersize, think of it as activity. There are all sorts of wonderful activities, skating, skiing, horseback riding, and let's not even forget about all the wonderful dancing styles.

I hate to exercise. I've fallen off of the exercise wagon, but need to get back on.... I have four kids (ages 14, 12, 4 and 3) and they won't even let me go to the bathroom in peace, let alone exercise, and by the time they are in bed, I'm exhausted. I have a membership at a curves, I like them but you have to get there.

I have the walk away the pounds dvds, and they are good. you can walk inside in the AC and not leave your baby. It's a good work out.

#1--What they all, but mostly Tropicana, said.

#2--The only reason you "have time" to shower and brush your teeth is that you have made it a priority. It works for exercise, too.

#3--If you are not taking care of your baby's mom, then you are not really tending to your baby's needs. Twelve-year-olds need moms, too. Are you doing all you can to be there when your baby is 12?

#4--The band isn't about having surgery and then carrying on as usual. It's about making life-saving changes in your daily life. This part takes a tremendous amount of work, but unless you sign on, all you've done is had needless surgery.

Good luck...

Nita,

Are you doing yoga since surgery? I want to go but am a little nervous with all the streching.

Thanks,

Lindsay