Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-op weight loss and other stuff

So I've all but decided on where I'm having the surgery (OCC, in Mexico) and am just waiting to see my dr. tomorrow before I set the date for sure. I had been hoping to get a date in the third week of November, mainly to avoid the US thanksgiving travel rush as well as give myself time to recover and get through the liquid diet phase before Xmas. However, I was warned that I needed to lose 18 pounds before I could do the surgery, and I'm anxious to get it done no later than the end of November.

Is this a realistic amount of time to give myself? 18 pounds in 4 weeks? Have any of you accomplished this? I do have a way out in the sense that if I am not able to lose the weight, I can push my surgery date back. But I don't want to do that. I'm starting to feel discouraged, because I don't know if I'll be able to lose enough weight in that amount of time. The pre-op diet is two meal-replacement shakes and a frozen dinner. I think I might go crazy after four weeks of that. Plus I'm concerned about my metabolism, if I'll even lose weight on that diet.

Also, is it normal to feel all kinds of fears/anxieties pop up after making that decision to have surgery? I'm worried about not getting a good surgery date, how I'll feel after, whether I'll lose the pre-op weight, if the surgery will work, if I'll have pain after, how I'll feel not being able to eat the same way anymore, etc. etc. I know how important it is for me to go into this with a positive, optimistic frame of mind, so I need to somehow battle these anxieties that have been coming up lately.

my preop was strict and did not include any meals he put us on it for 2 weeks and said we woeld lose 1-2 pounds a day I ended up due to quick surgery date to only do 1 week and lost 9.5 pounds so deffinately possible if you stick with it. I am not an expert so wouldnt be able to tell about the 2 shakes 1 meal but mine is.

females 5 shakes/smoothies and male 6 a day.

the shakes are Protein Powder with Water ff milk no sugar added apple juice and any other fruit juices. all fruit can be used. (watch what you add as it does add caleries) I made mine to be 8oz with half a banana and a few froen strawberies and a little water or applejuce.

also can be mixed with v8 and pureed vegetables (I hate v8 so never tried)

you can have all the no calorie drinks broth and s/f Jello.< /p>

prety strict but did work for weight loss

Also, is it normal to feel all kinds of fears/anxieties pop up after making that decision to have surgery? I'm worried about not getting a good surgery date, how I'll feel after, whether I'll lose the pre-op weight, if the surgery will work, if I'll have pain after, how I'll feel not being able to eat the same way anymore, etc. etc. I know how important it is for me to go into this with a positive, optimistic frame of mind, so I need to somehow battle these anxieties that have been coming up lately.

I think this is perfectly normal to have these anxiety feelings after getting your surgery date. I am being very optimistic about my surgery and how I will do but trust me I fear the same as you do. I fear getting over to Mexico and having my pre-op testing done the day before the surgery and then the surgeon coming back to me saying that he cannot perform the surgery for one reason or another. That is also why I have already started working on getting my body in better condition to have surgery done. I officially start my pre-op diet (aka Liver Shrinking Diet) 3 weeks prior to my surgery date but I have already begun the shakes for Breakfast and soon will be moving to shakes at lunch too. Another thing I need to start and I think would help anyone is putting together and doing a regular exercise schedule. Mine will consist of walking every day to begin with. Then after surgery and recovery I can build up from there.

Hello Vangirl: My surgery is November 11. My doctor's office requires that we lose 10% of our total body weigh, not excess weight but body weight. I have to lose 25 pounds. I have lost 12 pounds in two weeks.

I have two high protien drinks (New whey 42 gram Bullets), which I find very filling. Then I have a small protien meal for dinner. If I am still really hungry, where my stomach is growling like crazy. I have another Protein Drink. I also walk and have cut out the Snacks. :-(

Good luck!