Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Will the band ever work?

I am totally losing hope. I have had the band now for 5 or 6 weeks. I had absolutely no restriction from the band alone, which I know most people dont, and could eat anything. I even put on 3 lbs when I moved onto solids.

I saw the Dr 2 days ago and he put 5mls in (the band is 10 mls). I was so excited, I thought here I go...

Well nothing has happened. I dont feel any restriction, I am still hungry after eating what I think is a normal band amount. Everything goes down easily, I dont feel any different than normal.

I am feeling so upset. I was really hoping that I would be getting some assistance from the band but I feel like I dont even have a band and I am losing my willpower. The Dr had said it might take a bit of fine tuning and I will go in every 4 weeks for another fill, but that means I have another 4 weeks to go with pure will power before I see him.

I am scared now that I will put back on the few pounds I have lost casue I just dont know when to stop. If I eat the small amount the dietician said I should then I am so hungry by the evening I am pigging out eating everything I can. this is like torture. In my head I am so prepared for changing my life and losing weight but my will power is almost giving up.

Has anyone else had this? i thought 5mls in a 10ml band was alot and I should feel something. I don't know what I am asking for, I am just feeling like I had the band and I am getting nothing from it. Does this change or are there people who never get restriction?

Hi Mum,

Don't lose hope. I was in the same boat as you (a lot of us were). I actually gained weight between my surgery and first fill. Also, many people don't start to feel restriction until about your 3rd fill. I didn't feel anything until I got in the 6 cc/ml full. Also, you can ask your dr if you can come in sooner before 4 weeks. In the beginning I went in every 3 weeks to be agressive with my fills.

Hey MUM,

I am basically in the same boat that you are in. I got my band August 18th. I have lost 17 pounds since then and I haven't lost anything in the last 3 weeks.

I have had 2 fills since my operation. I recieved 3 1/2cc the first time and 1cc the second time. I still have no restriction. I like you am having to go on will power at the moment. I have another appointment this coming Tuesday for yet another fill and am terrified that it will not help.

I have been told that it takes a while to actually start working, to give it time. I have decided to do just that and in the mean time, I have started my walking. I have walked 4 miles today and plan on doing atleast 2 miles tomorrow. I guess I figure, as long as I am out walking I am not thinking of food as much and plus, walking raises your heart rate and helps to burn calories.

Don't give up and keep all of your Dr. appointments. Give it time to do it's job and remember, you have to help it out along the way and not expect it to do the job all by itself. Good luck on your journey!

I am totally losing hope. I have had the band now for 5 or 6 weeks. I had absolutely no restriction from the band alone, which I know most people dont, and could eat anything. I even put on 3 lbs when I moved onto solids.

I saw the Dr 2 days ago and he put 5mls in (the band is 10 mls). I was so excited, I thought here I go...

Well nothing has happened. I dont feel any restriction, I am still hungry after eating what I think is a normal band amount. Everything goes down easily, I dont feel any different than normal.

I am feeling so upset. I was really hoping that I would be getting some assistance from the band but I feel like I dont even have a band and I am losing my willpower. The Dr had said it might take a bit of fine tuning and I will go in every 4 weeks for another fill, but that means I have another 4 weeks to go with pure will power before I see him.

I am scared now that I will put back on the few pounds I have lost casue I just dont know when to stop. If I eat the small amount the dietician said I should then I am so hungry by the evening I am pigging out eating everything I can. this is like torture. In my head I am so prepared for changing my life and losing weight but my will power is almost giving up.

Has anyone else had this? i thought 5mls in a 10ml band was alot and I should feel something. I don't know what I am asking for, I am just feeling like I had the band and I am getting nothing from it. Does this change or are there people who never get restriction?

I know what you're feeling, I was banded 8/11/08 and sometimes I forget I have the band, I eat well and moderately exercise every day, and...I feel nothin' I think I've finally convinced myself to call the Dr. and schedule my 2nd fill, the 1st didn't go well, lots of pain and they had a difficult time finding the port. I guess that's what they mean when they tell us to be aggressive with the fills, I'm just gonna have to bite the bullet. Hang in there.

Hey mum,

In the same boat at you.

Banded 12th August. Had a fill 2 weeks ago of 4ml in 10ml band.

I have no difference either. I have to wait another 4 weeks aswell.

Hang in there, we will get there eventually!

Bless your heart! I KNOW EXACTLY how you feel! I had NO RESTRICTION either after my first fill... then 2 weeks AFTER MY FILL, my band got tighter.. and I mean REALLY TIGHT! I thought for a while I was going to have to have an "unfil," because nothing would go down! It is relaxing a bit now.. Don't give up... I was banded on June 20 and have lost only 32 pounds! I really wanted to lose faster, but I do feel I am on the right track.. just SLOW GOING! Keep your chin up!

I guess we can't say it enough, you are not alone. I have no restrictions, am still on liquids, well mainly and supposed to be. I get hungry in the evenings. Am losing a little each week. Have yet to have a fill but am looking forward to it.

I understand how it is. If I had the willpower not to eat I would not ahve needed the band.

Let's keep in touch maybe we can be supportive to one another. i have been banded for 3 weeks.

Chin up, we can do this together:thumbup:

HI folks .

Looks like we are really all in the same boat eh ,

I guess because we feel we have waited so long for something to help us , we want our tool to work asap .

But its not the case as we read :cursing:

Still lets hang in there :mellow:

we will succeed !!!!!!:cool2:

I was banded on Sept 10th. I started my pre-opt on August 25th. From August 25th until Sept 22nd I lost 27lbs.

Guess what? I haven't lost a thing since. Probably gained a few since I started solids again.

I thought to myself- wow, I'm not eating a whole lot so how could I gain??????

You know what? I'm not in a hurry. This will work for me. I've never had patience but I'm just going to let it go.

I lost 19 lbs on the post-op diet of liquids for 2 weeks, then the next 2 weeks I only lost 1 lb. My doctor said I was doing something wrong and he was right. I was eating creamy Soups, mashed potatoes and I even had a fried chicken tender from KFC. I was afraid of getting sick or stuck and that is why I was eating like that. He scolded me and reeducated me about how important it was to eat only Protein and leave all that other stuff alone. He did not give me a fill that day and I am scheduled to go back Oct 7th for a fill. I went home like a scolded puppy and decided I would try it his way even though he said I would gain weight before my next appt because I have had no fills, but guess what, I started the diet like he instructed me to and I have lost 11 lbs this month! I guess he did know what he was talking about. So just be careful to not eat around the band. The things I was eating was going right threw it. I hope this helps and just hang in there.

Thanks lfoss! It certainly does help! I was doing the same thing. I am in the process of reeducating myself also! Thanks! And Congrats!