Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Carnie Wilson & Al Roker

Ok I have something to talk about and please give me some insight... I feel were all kinda like family and friends so here it is… what happened to Carnie Wilson and Al Roker we all know that they had gastric bypass surgery done. But has everyone also noticed that they gained there weight back? Well not all the weight for Al Roker but have you seen Carnie Wilson?? I see all these wonderful looking people on this sight and everyone is so happy they lost there weight 3, 4 and 1 year post op. my question is were are the old timers?? Were are the LBT’s that joined 4 and 5 years ago? How are they doing? Are they still maintaining there weight lost? It just makes my nervous that I could be the next Carnie Wilson that looks great for a while and then I blow the hell up again. Please I am a fighter and this is truly what I want but I’m pretty sure they felt they same way. Now I live in New York and I watch the news every morning and Al Roker looked sick for a while then he gained some weigh and looked better, what if that’s me what if I look good being a big girl( nah!!!!!! I’m only kiddin I rather be skinny) but all jokes aside what if im the one that looks sick after I loose the weight? I just wanted to know if any one else has seen these people and thought about the same things….

Just my opinion, but I would guess there are a few factors at work here

1) there are people on this site who have had the WLS a few years ago and kept the weight off. You just have to look for them. One place to direct questions to them is in the 'at goal' group or other similarly titled groups.

2) just like any other kind of weight loss, maintaining the healthy weight can be just as much of a challenge as losing it in the first place. I would imagine many people struggle with this more than getting the weight off. When we are first banded, we are motivated, especially when we see the scale move, move, move. But maintaining, without that benefit of seeing the scale move, is hard. People fail.

3) finally, I think that we need the support of this site more at the beginning. When I was first banded I was on here every day. Now, not nearly as often - and I'm only five months out. I can imagine that when I get to my goal weight, I will probably not have the questions I had then or have now. So, people at goal probably don't visit the site as much.

just my 2 cents.....

I think you also have to take in account the type of WLS surgey they had...gastric bypass. I've heard that with the gastric bypsss you can actually stretch your pouch back out if you continue with the same eating habits. Now that isn't to say that the same can't happen with the band, but I belive that since the band requires fill for restriction it may be harder. I have a friend who had gastric bypass. She lost a large amount of weight very quickly, when she found out through a mutual friend I was having Lapband she called to tell me what she went through. She has gained almost all the weight back that she lost and is now considering lapband and again this after gastric. She said her problem is when she realized she could still eat what she wanted.. Burguers, fries, milkshakes whatever just in smaller amounts she did. Eventually all the weight she lost creeped back. So with that WLS is a tool not the answer. You still have to make the right choices even after the procedure. She also didn't have any support, which I think will help us all out.... This was a little long, but hopefully it answered some of your questions.

As others have said they had gastic bypass surgery. That is why I am looking into and have basically made up my mind to go with the lap band. With gastric the weight comes off faster but you can stretch your new stomach back out. A friend in law school had the (gastric) surgery she went for a size 30/32 down to a 12/14ish and went back up about a year later to a 22/24. In class she would eat bags of microwave extra butter popcorn, candy, fast food, juice, and slowly but surely the weight came back on. Granted she was still smaller than when she began but she had several complications and to still regain so much. That just let's you know its not just about eating less and moving more weight loss is mental as well.

I think that is why I am looking into lapband b/c the restriction stays in place as long as you keep getting your fills. I need that long term option to be successful.

I have a friend who I goto church with and he had GB. When I got the lap band he sort of chastised me that I should have gotten GB. Well I had not seen him in awhile and saw him the other day and he is back to his old weight. I felt sorry for him but I noticed that he never did really change his eating habits. I CANNOT eat what I use to eat. It is just impossible. If I ever am able to eat that much again I will get a small fill. I think that is the biggest difference between the two surgeries. Yes we loose slower but I think we are keeping it off longer. Once you have GB I think you are "screwed" (for lack of better words). This of course is my opinion.

I agree - my mother had GB and she lost a lot of weight, but she didn't change her eating habits. She didn't work out. So she didn't lose as much as she could have. She is now working with a personal trainer and watches what she eats so she is getting better. She attempted to have the "band over bypass" surgery, but there was too much scar tissue around her smaller stomach that they couldn't do it. So she is having to work hard and she actually likes it because she is seeing results. With the band you HAVE to adjust your eating habits or nothing will happen. With GB most people aren't given dietary restrictions, just eat smaller portions.

I agree - my mother had GB and she lost a lot of weight, but she didn't change her eating habits. She didn't work out. So she didn't lose as much as she could have. She is now working with a personal trainer and watches what she eats so she is getting better. She attempted to have the "band over bypass" surgery, but there was too much scar tissue around her smaller stomach that they couldn't do it. So she is having to work hard and she actually likes it because she is seeing results. With the band you HAVE to adjust your eating habits or nothing will happen. With GB most people aren't given dietary restrictions, just eat smaller portions.

I heard that is becoming more & more popular (getting the band after gastric). I really think that is why the lap band is the only form of surgery I would consider. That's great that your Mom is seeing results again!

I don't know a lot of people who had the gastric, but the few that I do know, lost a lot of weight rapidly and gained it back within 2 years. I think with both surgeries you should learn how to eat better, but with the band, because we are restricted with feels, it's impossible for us to over eat, and also knowing we can only get a cup of food down (1/2 c for med), we don't want to blow it on some crap.

To be honest, I know that if i didnt have the restriction, i would start that slope of having this here and there, until it ate certain things regularly, so I'll take my slow consistent loss any day.

When I went to my counsultation, there was a lady there that had had GB surgery about 5 years ago and she was saying how she had gained about 20 pounds back and how terrified she was of gaining it all back. However, she said that they have found that people do gain it back and there is some procedure that they can do to kinda "upgrade" the GB. She had it done by my surgeon (she was from Atlanta) and had lost about 15 of the 20 she had gained and was still on the decrease (she was about 2 weeks postop). But geez, it requried another surgery to fix it. I think they should let people know that you will gain the weight back because I have a friend that eats everything she wants--granted that it is still less than what she used to eat, cause sister could hide some groceries, however, it is still more than your average person. She has not lost all the weight she wanted to lose with GB-she wanted to lose around 150 and she has lost about 95-- and she has kinda stalled. I could so see her gaining her weight back.

When I went to the informational they made it clear that surgery is only a tool. In fact the Dr. said during her presentation The Weight loss success is based on 3 things 1. Diet/Nutrition 2. Exercise and a DISTANT 3rd she said was surgery. She said people can 'trick' the band and people can stretch the gastric pouch if the lifestyle has not changed it will come back for sure.