Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Morning Sickness (I mean all-day sickness)

Hello everyone. I'm surprised that we don't have more posts about morning sickness (read: all day sickness) on the board, but maybe that's because most of you are luckier than me. I'm 8 weeks along, and I'm finding that for the better part of the day, I have a constant undercurrent of nausea. What's interesting is that the nausea feels less like sea-sickness (which I understand is what morning sickness-type nausea typically feels like), but rather the nausea feels more like a bloated, heavy-full feeling in my stomach. It almost feels like I've eaten way too much and now I want to throw up (but not because food is stuck in the band). I don't know if I'm describing it the right way, but I thought it was interesting because maybe the band is affecting how the nausea feels, i.e. that it's less of a roiling nausea and more of a full uncomfortable feeling. I haven't thrown up, which is good, but then maybe the contant nausea is even worse.

Anyway, in case anyone is interested, I've found that ginger really, really helps "settle" my stomach, albeit it is a temporary relief that lasts for a couple of hours at most. I've been trying all kinds of ginger remedies, but the best has been real ginger soda, i.e. ginger ale, which I get from Whole Foods (also known as Whole Pay Check). I know we're not supposed to drink carbonated beverages, but you gotta do what you gotta do. And I typically don't need an entire can of soda to help me, usually a few sips will do it. They say that ginger is more effective at treating nausea than some prescription medications. If you can stand the strong taste, you can also try crystallized ginger, which is actual ginger root steeped in cane Syrup, that's then cut up into bite-sized pieces. It's sweet, but incredibly potent. I've also heard that you can make an herbal ginger tea by dropping a piece of the crystallized ginger root in some chamomile tea. Maybe I'll try that later.

Finally, jolly ranchers have been very helpful. These are similar to "preggie pops," but cost a whole lot less. Something about the sweet and sour taste helps to settle my stomach.

I hope you ladies out there in your first trimester are having an easier time with things. But when I want to feel sorry for myself, I just remember that the nausea means that I'm still pregnant and the hormones are working to support the baby -- and then it's not so very bad anymore.

Good luck to us all!

Jen

hi Jen,

congrats on your pregnancy!

i, too, had the 'all day sickness' and did find that ginger did help - it was pretty much the only thing that did work. Walgreens has ginger snap Cookies that are pretty cheap. not the ideal thing to eat really, but hey, if that's the only thing you can swallow, i say try it.... you may want to up your Vitamins... fruits/veggies ... cant eat them, V8 splash berry blend is wonderful when its really cold.

i hope your m/s doesnt last too much longer. i think mine ended between 10 and 11.5 weeks. i still get more 'motion sickness', i cant watch my daughter spin around and around and around and sometimes when my DH is driving (fast) and changing lanes, i get queasy, but for the most part it's gone. i'm now 20 weeks.

best of luck to you!

I never got morning sickness, so I didn't really believe I was pregnant till I saw the ultrasound.

My doc called me in meds, even though I didn't need it.. one was a dissolvable tablet that goes on the tongue, I believe it is Zofran. She also told me Unisom is a good anti-nausea med (suprising!). It's also a sleep aid, which is what it's advertised for. Interestingly-more, the ingredient in Unisom is the same ingredient in normal Benadryl, but Unisom is 2x dose.

Conclusion, try taking 1 Benadryl (NOT Benadryl D), as not to make you pass out, but to help nausea. If all else fails, take 2x Benadryl or 1x Unisom.

This is all excellent advice, thank you so much for posting. I need to be ready for the tips and tricks in case I start feeling a little queasy. :0)

Indeed, but for you to have more than 1 'false positive' seems like winning the lottery, so I am hopeful for you that you're just very early on :cool2:

just one side note on the ginger...you may want to google it. Ginger has been known to cause uterine contractions and many doctors have advised against using it in early pregnancy as it can lead to spotting or cramping that may bring on miscarriage. I don't want to alarm anyone, but i distinctly remember them telling my sister (who was VERY high risk pregnancy) not to go near the stuff even though she was sick for months because they were worried she'd have a miscarriage...some docs say it's fine to use, but i'd look into it, and as with all other issues regarding band or baby, ask your trusted doctor.

That's actually true for a lot of things. Always ask your doc, especially if you know you're a high risk pregnancy. A lot of things normally OK (Sex for example) have to be avoided in high risk, etc.

Its funny, I came on here to whine about my all day sickness or to at least find something that helps and here was this post! I will try jolly ranchers. I did preggo pops with my son but found them to be really sweet. Funny, I can not handle candy sweet stuff at all these days, but ice cream makes me feel better for a little while. I heard mixed reviews on ginger but I did do it with my son and all was fine. My dad scared the heck out of me about it so I wouldn't get real ginger only real ginger ale. a compromise. Thanks for the tips.

Fairy, I wish I was you and did not experience sickness. Mine didn't end last time until I was about 14 weeks. I don't think I can take 7 more weeks of this. Who am i kidding? Yes I can and I will and I will be thankful since that is the only way I even know I am pregnant.

We haven't told our parents yet. We are telling them next Friday when we all get together and go to dinner. I don't know how I am waiting this long.

Wow, this was long. I hope all are doing well. Good luck mommies!

Now, the next thread should be "what are we doing about our clothes.."

Have good days.:cool2:

Yup, while I know it's a blessing not to have the morning sickness, I feel like I'm missing out on a tell-tale sign of pregnancy.

To follow up on the ginger -- I did do some research and there is some interesting things out there about large amounts of ginger possibly causing abortions and uterine contractions. If you're interested, check out the mayo Clinic's website on ginger and pregnancy.

I called my doctor about it and she isn't concerned and told me that I can use ginger as a morning sickness relief. But then I thought -- why take a chance? So, now I'm limiting myself to ginger ale and fruit juices with ginger. I'm no longer eating the crystallized ginger.

Another thing we should all be aware about are herbal teas, which have been really soothing for me. Unfortunately, certain herbs are not recommended and can also cause uterine contractions. Some herbs that you may not think of being worried about are chamomile, peppermint, hibiscus and lemongrass. These are often found in your lemon-type teas. Check out babycenter.com's article on herbal teas for more info.

So now I'm left with drinking hot lemon Water, which I KNOW is safe and has been helpful. Ultimately, we'll all get through this and I keep reminding myself that the morning sickness is a welcome, but not-so-pleasant reminder that baby-things are still happening. I pray that we all magically get rid of our morning sickness at 12 weeks, 1 day.

Jpet, thanks for the information. Its such a great time, but I wish I could transfer some of this to my DH. Is that mean? LOL I feel so badly for him. With my son I did nothing for three months. I don't know how he and my daughter even ate. I think all of the fast food places fed them throughout that summer. I am so not proud of that. This time I am going to be better. I had such good intentions of exercising still. I did up until last week when the nausea hit. I am going to make myself go walking today before it gets away from me. I think running might be out of the question for now.

I hope you are right that it all stops at 12 weeks and 1 day haa haa. Wait, why am I excited about that?? I am only 7 weeks and four days, that is still alot of time.

I'm confused about contractions, contractions are only unsafe if you're a high risk pregnancy. That's what I've read.

Orgasms cause uterine contractions.. and it's fine, as long as you're not high risk.

Does morning sickness always start in the early weeks of pregnancy?

I have not had a single moment of morning sickness and don't know if I am just not far enough along yet or just lucky.

I remember with my son I got sick one time when I was sleeping in a car and had to rush to the restroom . . . and nothing else ever.

I'm about 4 weeks preggo now... I do get morning sickness almost everyday. if you have trader joe's close by, go there and ask if they have Ginger Chews (by Ginger People). it really helps. I bought one bag on Saturday and I'm almost out of them. Each bag is about $ 1.69 and it has 24 individual wrap candy. I find that it tastes a bit better if i leave it in a hot car (to make it softer). if you don't like ginger, you might now like this, it's tolerable though. Plus if it wil make you feel better!