Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One Day Post Op- Can hardly tell I had surgery

I was banded yesterday. Things are going great. I had to be at the hospital 6 am and was in surgery by 730. I was knocked out before I even made it to the operating room. The anestesia doctor and my doctor came and talked to me before surgery. They had to repair a hiatal hernia I had (No one knew I had it until then, but my reflux should go away now) and then banded me. I was up walking by 3 pm. I was even told I didn't get a gold star for "running", so I guess I was going to fast for them and slowed down. I walked around the floor three time every 1 and 1/2 hour even through the night. I seemed to wake up every 1 1/2 hours and got up went to the rest room and then went for my walk. My pain pump is still in. I should be removing it tommorow evening and haven't had any other pain medicine since 1130 am. They gave me that because I had a 1 1/2 hour ride home and live in a very rural area. It seems things have gone really well. I a wondering if the other foot is going to drop. I did weight when I got home and my weight is up 7 pounds from Monday evening. I usually take Fluid pills and haven't had one since Sunday and will start them back tomorrow so I think that will take care of that problem. The doctor is keeping me out of work until my 2 week follow-up even though I work in an office, but everyone knows I will do what it takes to get things done so they took care of that problem by keeping me out of work to heal properly. My boss even agreed that the way my work ethics are I should stay out because he wants me to heal properly and he knows I would overdo it making up the work that piled up this week. He said he would have bows on my stacks of work for me when I return :confused: My incisions should heal quite well. I do not have stitches or staples, he glued them. As soon as I take the pump out, I can shower. This surgery has been a breeze so far. (Knock on wood) I wish everyone could have the same experience with the surgery I have so far. I will post an update as things go on.

CONGRATS on being a loser now !!!

Glad your surgery was good . Keep up the great work !

Mindy

Pain killers are a wonderful thing. I felt just like you did on day of my banding (1 month ago today). Day 2 was pretty good too, but the gas and other discomfort really kicked in on day 3. I had some pretty excruciating pains in my left shoulder (some people say it's due to gas others say projected pain). Happily, my friend liquid hydrocodone and tylenol wiped that out too.

Try to remember, they just cut a bunch of holes in you (I had 6) and you're going to need time to recover. Pushing yourself too much, too early, will lengthen your recovery not accelerate it.

Be careful and I hope that you lose all of the weight that you plan to.

Bryan

weight.png

Pain killers are a wonderful thing. I felt just like you did on day of my banding (1 month ago today). Day 2 was pretty good too, but the gas and other discomfort really kicked in on day 3. I had some pretty excruciating pains in my left shoulder (some people say it's due to gas others say projected pain). Happily, my friend liquid hydrocodone and tylenol wiped that out too.

Try to remember, they just cut a bunch of holes in you (I had 6) and you're going to need time to recover. Pushing yourself too much, too early, will lengthen your recovery not accelerate it.

Be careful and I hope that you lose all of the weight that you plan to.

Bryan

weight.png

Thanks for the info. I know things are going to probably change and the pain or something will probably come sometime. I am taking it easy except for walking around the house per my doctors instructions. I have also taken off the first two weeks from work because I knew I would over do things there. Myself, doctor and boss all agreed I needed to take off the 2 weeks for recovery time and not overdo things so I could recover. My boss will also make sure I do not overdo things at work when I return.

I must say that I work at a correctional facility as an Administrative Assistant for the Asst. Superintendent and Chief of Security. They are both very observive and will lay down the grounds rules so I am sure there will not be a problem there when I do return. Few people at work know I had this done but the ones who needed to know know about it and are very supportive and will watch me carefully. They will not even let me come back to work until I get a return to work with what my limited duties will be. I am very lucky my husband is supportive at home and my work is very supportive also. I am not going to over do so I do not mess anything up. My doctors instructions were walk, walk, walk, and oh walk some more so that is what I am doing. I have not had to take the pain drugs yet, but have them for if and/or when the other foot drops. I am just counting my lucky stars for now and wish everyone could have as good an experience as myself so far and had as good a support system. I kind of feel guilty.

I am just working my way into day 2 of my banding. I felt wonderful yesterday. I really couldn't feel my incisions other than a slight twinge from the port site. This morning I am starting to get a little stiff. I am trying to make sure that I walk and stand straight. I am still waiting for the other shoe to drop myself. I hope that you continue to feel better and better each day.

I am just working my way into day 2 of my banding. I felt wonderful yesterday. I really couldn't feel my incisions other than a slight twinge from the port site. This morning I am starting to get a little stiff. I am trying to make sure that I walk and stand straight. I am still waiting for the other shoe to drop myself. I hope that you continue to feel better and better each day.

Yes, the only place I can tell at this point is where my port site is also, but it is nothing as long as I just hold it when I am getting up and down. I hope your recovery goes well for you as well. I took a shower this morning and boy did that feel great. My doctor used glue instead of stitches or staples so I was able to shower very quickly. I am not sure if that is the norm or not. How are you feeling now that it has been a few hours since you said you were getting a little stiff. Yesterday was my husbands birthday and he went out of town to a friends house planning on being back last night but decided with the weather he would stay and told me he would have a friend come to stay with me. I insisted I needed some time to myself and did not want anyone to "babysit" me. To be honest, it felt great to have a little me time. Please keep me posted on your progress.

Yes, the only place I can tell at this point is where my port site is also, but it is nothing as long as I just hold it when I am getting up and down. I hope your recovery goes well for you as well. I took a shower this morning and boy did that feel great. My doctor used glue instead of stitches or staples so I was able to shower very quickly. I am not sure if that is the norm or not. How are you feeling now that it has been a few hours since you said you were getting a little stiff. Yesterday was my husbands birthday and he went out of town to a friends house planning on being back last night but decided with the weather he would stay and told me he would have a friend come to stay with me. I insisted I needed some time to myself and did not want anyone to "babysit" me. To be honest, it felt great to have a little me time. Please keep me posted on your progress.

I seem to only get stiff when I sit down for too long. It eases quickly once I am moving around. I don't have a babysitter today either. My husband went to work and my son is at school. It is really nice to have the house to myself. I found out that my job is allowing me to have 4 weeks off work to recoup. At this point, that sounds really nice. I would hate to go back to work too soon. My doc used some type of cement on me. I couldn't believe how hard that stuff is. I like that though. I had gallbladder surgery a few years ago and that doctor put steri strips on me. That did not hold together, so now I have some ugly stomach scars. I am thinking about buying some mederma (sp?) to put on all of the scars.

You keep posted on your progress as well.

Good to hear that you felt great after surgery. I felt good, but not that good. Here on day 3 I almost feel normal again. I can still feel some empty space in my abdomen and cant wait for that gas to empty. It gets better everyday.

I seem to only get stiff when I sit down for too long. It eases quickly once I am moving around. I don't have a babysitter today either. My husband went to work and my son is at school. It is really nice to have the house to myself. I found out that my job is allowing me to have 4 weeks off work to recoup. At this point, that sounds really nice. I would hate to go back to work too soon. My doc used some type of cement on me. I couldn't believe how hard that stuff is. I like that though. I had gallbladder surgery a few years ago and that doctor put steri strips on me. That did not hold together, so now I have some ugly stomach scars. I am thinking about buying some mederma (sp?) to put on all of the scars.

You keep posted on your progress as well.

At this point I am planning on going back to work on October 8th if all goes well at my follow up appt on the 7th. My boss called checking on me today. He is a very caring and very much a family man, which alot of people would not expect since he is a retired marine. (My husband is a retired sailor, so we have alot of fun with comments to each other on that topic) He will be a mother hen over me when I return. Of course he was teasing me today letting me know that all my work is piling up in my office since no one fills in for me while I am gone. He did say he would put bows on the stacks of work for me when I return. He was teasing me, but it is the truth that it will all be waiting on me when I return. Of course I have received the calls, where is so and so and I tell them the 2nd drawer in the file cabinet in the middle of the drawer. I even had fax cover sheets printed out for reports that get sent out every Monday. Anything that could be done ahead of time I had waiting for them with post it stickies explaining it all. Boy I spoil them, but they are great to me as well. I am glad you will have plenty of time to recouperate. That will make a big difference and one less stress you will have to worry about.

I was banded yesterday. Things are going great. I had to be at the hospital 6 am and was in surgery by 730. I was knocked out before I even made it to the operating room. The anestesia doctor and my doctor came and talked to me before surgery. They had to repair a hiatal hernia I had (No one knew I had it until then, but my reflux should go away now) and then banded me. I was up walking by 3 pm. I was even told I didn't get a gold star for "running", so I guess I was going to fast for them and slowed down. I walked around the floor three time every 1 and 1/2 hour even through the night. I seemed to wake up every 1 1/2 hours and got up went to the rest room and then went for my walk. My pain pump is still in. I should be removing it tommorow evening and haven't had any other pain medicine since 1130 am. They gave me that because I had a 1 1/2 hour ride home and live in a very rural area. It seems things have gone really well. I a wondering if the other foot is going to drop. I did weight when I got home and my weight is up 7 pounds from Monday evening. I usually take Fluid pills and haven't had one since Sunday and will start them back tomorrow so I think that will take care of that problem. The doctor is keeping me out of work until my 2 week follow-up even though I work in an office, but everyone knows I will do what it takes to get things done so they took care of that problem by keeping me out of work to heal properly. My boss even agreed that the way my work ethics are I should stay out because he wants me to heal properly and he knows I would overdo it making up the work that piled up this week. He said he would have bows on my stacks of work for me when I return :thumbup: My incisions should heal quite well. I do not have stitches or staples, he glued them. As soon as I take the pump out, I can shower. This surgery has been a breeze so far. (Knock on wood) I wish everyone could have the same experience with the surgery I have so far. I will post an update as things go on.

I was banded on 9/15 and I have to say I had the same experience!....Even had the HH, but no traveling gas or naseua, etc.......just a lilttle soreness when I stooped over and that is almost gone....you wt. is probably due to a combination of fluid retention and swelling.....it will drop FAST!....Congratulations to u.........WE ARE THE WOMEN!!!!!

:) Joy

Good to hear that you felt great after surgery. I felt good, but not that good. Here on day 3 I almost feel normal again. I can still feel some empty space in my abdomen and cant wait for that gas to empty. It gets better everyday.

I don't know if this helped me or not but since I have had to have colonoscopies in the past and that Dr. advised to lay on your left side and the air and gas would go away quicker, so I used that theory with this surgery as well. You may want to try and see if it helps. I am glad you are feeling pretty good after surgery as well. Please keep me posted.

I was banded on 9/15 and I have to say I had the same experience!....Even had the HH, but no traveling gas or naseua, etc.......just a lilttle soreness when I stooped over and that is almost gone....you wt. is probably due to a combination of Fluid retention and swelling.....it will drop FAST!....Congratulations to u.........WE ARE THE WOMEN!!!!!

:thumbup: Joy

It seems as though we are having about the same experience. Congratulations to you as well and please keep me posted. You are right WE ARE THE WOMEN. I was feeling a little guilty that others are having the other issues and I have had such a good experience so far.

Anne

Hi! :thumbup: I'm doing good too. Gas is passing, as it should! hehe and my insides feel a little queasy if I start doing too much...but I'm able to walk around the house, do laundry, etc. My babysitters left this morning, but i look fwd to having my dh all weekend to help with the 3 kids. My back seems to get a little stiff if I've been on my feet for 15 min or more...but they may have to do with stooping over a tad or laying in bed so much.

glad to hear everyone is doing good!!!

It seems as though we are having about the same experience. Congratulations to you as well and please keep me posted. You are right WE ARE THE WOMEN. I was feeling a little guilty that others are having the other issues and I have had such a good experience so far.

Anne

Good for YOU!.....I had my first social outing experience tonight........my two best friends took me to see "Nights in Rodanthe" and out to eat.........I took a drink-protien- in my purse for the movie and had veal, my fav, at restaurant and two vodka & waters w/ lemon and sweet n low, very slowly. and feel comfy full. NO bread, Pasta, and just a tiny bite of a friend's creme brule'. I am proud of myself! U ,too, need an outing!

:bolt: Joy

So glad you're having a good "recovery"! I did too...no nausea, I felt a little stiff on the 2nd day but took two doses of the Darvocet the doc prescribed and felt fine; in fact night #2 I slept on my stomach! LOL I had my huband pull out the pain ball thingie that very first night, though; it bothered me, hanging there, way more than it helped me. I was never nauseated, never restricted, etc. So, you go girl! :bolt:

In fact, I felt so good I had to keep reminding myself to have liquids etc. It was a big challenge! Enjoy your time off; be good to yourself. THe poster who said you did have surgery is right; even we who are lucky and have few issues need to be kind to ourselves! :tt1:

Welcome to Bandland! :thumbup: