Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

pregnant with the band

I am thinking about getting banded, but I would like to have a baby in a few years. Has anyone been pregnant w/ the band, and what are your thoughts/advice/opinions???

Do a search on here and you will get alot of info from Brandy that was banded and had a BEAUTIFUL baby.

Like you, I was worried about having a "band baby" but both of my docs (band surgeon and obgyn) have assured me that pregnancy post-band surgery is a not a bad thing. It actually makes for a healthier pregnancy than being MO and PG!

Good Luck!

one of the reasons that I am getting the band, is that my OBGYN is pretty sure that my PSOS is really hurting my ability to lose wieght and that I really need to get my weight off to have an easier time getting pregnant naturally and having a successful pregnancy with a lower chance of miscarriage. (a number of people with PSOS/polycystic ovarian syndrom, have slowed metabolisms, out of balence hormones, a more difficult time conceiving and a higher risk of miscarriage, all of which decrease with the ability to maintain a lower and more healthy weight)

I plan on getting pregnant in 1-2 years as well, depending on how long it takes me to get my weight off. well, I guess there are probably a few other factors as well.:D

I have read in some places that it is sometime refered to as the fertility band.

You are joining a bunch of us gals here who want to get the weight off and then have a healthy successful pregnancy. I was told by my OB that he would give me Phenergen for when I get nausious, and was told that everything should be a-ok.

Good luck to you, and the rest of us gals who want another little one to cherish.

Be careful when you take phengran - I had it once and I had a reaction to the shot which my husband called my "butt bubble" until it finally went away like 3 months later. Also, it knocks you on your a$$ so don't try to drive or anything after you get it.

Thanks for the replies about motherhood!

I am on the same train....We had "tried" to get pregnant for a couple of months earlier in the year, but I ovulation and hormones were all off. I have possible PCOS and fat cells hold Estrogen, so no wonder I was having issues at the highest weight of 292.4. A major motivation to lose weight, beyond getting healthy, is to have a baby. I was assured that it was perfectly safe to do with the band.

Best of luck to you.

My friend Tracey had a beautiful baby girl after having the band for a year. You can search for her threads too (its called Babies and the band I think). I am also planning on having children and wanted to be sure that the band wouldn't hurt those chances. Best wishes, Teresa

Teresa, please stop planning and just do it. I need to be an aunt or uncle.

Didn't someone around here just have a healthy band baby? That's so darn special, isn't it? A Band Baby. Makes me happy. Makes me wonder why the heck Band Baby pictures aren't posted yet! We need baby pics.

On my first appointment with the surgeon they gave me a true or false test to see how much I knew about the lap band. One of the questions was....You could be more apt to get pregnant after having the lap-band surgery (do to weight lose.). The answer is true. They even asked me if I was considering more children and if not to make sure I had birth control plans!!! I told them....yes, I have plans alright, I got the hubby fixed!!! I am 46 with an 8 year-old....I am done!!!!

M

DeLarla...

Remember when we met in LV and I told you that my hubby just had a vas reversal? Well, last week his doc gave us the news that he is "fully loaded and ready to go." Now I'd REALLY like to lose at least 20 more lbs before I got prego, but my obgyn said that I was in pretty decent shape now. The 25 that I have lost makes a big difference.

I guess what I am saying is---we are officially trying starting this month. So keep your fingers crossed and I'll keep you posted. I'd love to start a thread as my journal through banded pregnancy.

Auntie DeLarla....

another PCOS'er here. We are looking to get pregnant next year. I couldn't decide if I wanted to get pregnant first and do the band later. I talked to several people and they convinced me that it was so much smarter to get the band first, get the weight off and then get pregnant. And once I thought about it of course that was the smart thing for me to do.

I have a little flexibility as to when I get pregnant as we are going to be doing Invitro. My band dr. wants me to weight a year and half before getting pregnant so we are planning on next winter.

We went through fertility treatments for three years before I was diagnosed with PCOS. I'm so happy that they finally found it and that I can try to get it under control. I'm also so thankful to have a band that will help me acheive my goals!

I'm a lucky girl!

Miss Lisa,

I posted pictures of my friends lovely baby on the thread I started on her experience. I just got to spend the whole evening sipping a wonderful coffee and holding Tracey's sweet baby Emily. AWWW... Dang, if Tracey doesn't have 3 kids already and she was totally unwilling to give up the fourth to me...LOL. I am definitely feeling my motherhood time clock ticking but I really really would like to just get finished with school first and get a job where I would get maternity leave. If I just happened to get pregnant sooner, Oh-well... All of our parents are having fits for grandchildren. I tease my mom that I won't have them till she retires so she can babysit it. She returns the teasing telling me that if neither of her children ever produce real babies she is going to disinherit both of us and leave everything to the step-children (who never actually lived with us nor grew up with us). Best wishes, Teresa

P.S. On a side note, I'm having more issues with that dog with the attitude. She bit the crap out of me last night and its one of the more nasty wounds she has given me. My vet doesn't think any medication would help her attitude and habits and thinks she needs to be put to sleep (has thought that for a long time) but my mom is going to check with a friend who's husband is a vet. This is related to this thread because I KNOW I would NEVER be able to trust this dog with children. Our roommate recently started to get his 3 year old on weekends again and we have to be absolutely and totally cautious about keeping the dog and child completely seperate. On the other hand our other dog is wonderful with the child and they act like Timmie with Lassie. I hate having to throw one dog out in the yard while letting the other one stay in and play so often they both go out but it is just getting frustrating, dangerous and ridiculous. I am going to be inn-sitting for the next 5 nights but when I get home we are going to have to either have plans for medication (depending on what the fellow my mom knows said) or we are going to HAVE to put her to sleep. I seriously cannot take it anymore and feel like a prisoner in my own house.

:) its always good to have a baby after losing some weight, but u have to be very careful once u r pregnant with lap-band, the eating rules become more important than before, i had my lapband op on 23/03/10 and now i am 3 months pregnant but suffering alooooot becoz i dint weight atleast a year to get pregnant. I m still settling with my band but got pregnant so soon so i do suffer alot with lots and lots of vomiting and nausea and morning sickness but am still hoping to have a healthy baby since my band is all loosened now by the surgeon to let me eat properly but still i have to be very veyr careful, else i have to go to the hospital after every accident for drips and maxolon injections, steroids, and antacids since i develop acid reflux cuz of excessive vomiting... so all of u plz wish me best of luck with this baby and i wish u alll best of luck with ur baby and ur band :cursing:

how is the band effected with morning sickness?

i was just banded on thursday partly because i can't lose weight to get pg with our second child.

however

i had morning sickness from 6 weeks to the day dd was born every day.

would that much throwing up shift the band?