Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

WHY are people voting for McCain?

How is this greed? This is capitalism, and it's what our economy is based on. Let me ask you a question.....Where would you cap income tax on the rich? 50%? 60%? 90%? Where?

Commendable. And it is a shame that anybody serving their country should have to live like that. That should totally be fixed. I don't think either candidate has addressed this issue, unless you count Obama's promises to deeply cut back on the military, basically firing all these soldiers.

Uh, nobody here wants to turn out people truly in need. We both agree that the system needs to be overhauled. Did you know that the disaster of Katrina exposed that much of the city of New Orleans were 3rd generation welfare recipients? Grandpa, then dad, then current person. Guess where the child and grandchild are headed? Both candidates agree that the welfare system is flawed.....McCain wants to reform it within the current framework, Obama wants to throw more government at it.

And McCain is on record as saying that he thinks less kids need to go to college? College needs to be more financially available to the lower and middle income familes. High end kids have their share of college troubles, but being able to afford the tuition is usually not one of them. On this we agree.

Nope. McCain wants to give everybody a $5000 tax credit to be used towards insurance. This credit would apply even if you already recieve insurance from an employer. That sounds better than Obama's plan: universal health care paid for by taxpayers. What could possibly go wrong if the government were in charge of healthcare, right?

If you increase the money taken out of the middle class families paycheck it makes it harder for them to make ends meet on a monthly basis. Giving them a lump sum once a year does not make it easier for them when they are playing catch up all year. Also, this does not fix the problem of insurance companies flat out denying people coverage that they are willing to pay for to begin with. THAT is the majority of the problem! I'm not necessarily for universal healthcare but something has to be done and throwing money at it won't solve it and where do you think that $5000 credit will come from?

50% of a $30,000/yr salary is a lot different than 50% of 1,000,000/yr. salary! Think about it, you can survive off 500,000/yr. in a luxurious lifestyle no less but try surviving off $15,000/yr. Also if you come from a poor family lower class family how can you be expected to go to college and pay for it to make that 1,000,000/yr. in the future? And that's going for a serious profession, nowadays you can't hardly get out of college without $100,000 worth of student loans and if you want to be a nurse who starts out at MAYBE 50,000 how are they going to pay for all the necessities in life to include your student loans? It is a double-edged sword. How do we fix it? I personally like Obama's plan cause he has one to begin with!LOL!

But if someone EARNS..key word...1m a year, why should they have to give up half of that money? THEY made it.

WOW where the heck are you getting this information??...I've seen it happen! So please don't insinuate that the military life is easy or we have some sort of money trees here. For the service my husband, myself, and others have given to this country, it's insulting! Especially since you have no idea what you are talking about! I have been military affiliated for 11 years so I DO know what I'm talking about!
Well, it depends on what information you're talking about. The pay information comes from two cousins and a good friend who are active military (two Army, one Navy), as well as the information listed on the military.com benefits site (though their information actually reflects higher comp than what I mentioned). If you're talking about the other information I posted, it comes 18 years as part of an active military family, and about 12 years as part of a retired military family, knowing what my active military family and friends experience, etc.
Also our housing allowance is only given to us if we live off base and in MOST cases does not cover rent/house payment + insurance+utilities. And I can tell you since I do live in base housing you are expected to maintain the house yourself to include the yard. It works much like a rental. However, more and more base housing is going privitized and is not run by the government but by a company contracted through the government. We do not pay for utilities such as electric or Water but do pay for cable and phone. It is a good thing we don't have to pay for housing because what my husband brings home a paycheck we couldn't survive if we had to.
Why do you present things like having to take care of your own yard as such a hardship? (And I never said housing allowance was given when you lived on base. It makes sense that it wouldn't be - we didn't need an allowance to pay for something that was free.) I don't think I contested any of this. We were (and should have been) expected to maintain our free yard when we lived in housing. I mean - yeah. Not hard to do when water was free, we were provided a free lawnmower (granted it was the spinning razor push type, but it was useable), and we could even borrow sprinklers from the... forget what it was called, same place from which we could borrow broadcast spreaders, same place that would provide seed/fertilizer if we needed it, etc. (Drawing a total blank but it was the same building people would go to to get the free bread, cheese, Peanut Butter, etc.) This is going to vary by state and time of year, but right now my electric + water bill is hitting about $510 a month. Not having to pay those would be significant. Cable is optional. Phone is arguably optional, but doesn't cost anywhere near $510. I'd just pay phone + cable over mortgage + electric + water + maintenance + repairs etc. in a heartbeat if I had the choice. Yes, you give up freedoms for free housing (at least we did) but they weren't huge comparatively. We couldn't hang more than one thing on a given wall, couldn't renovate or remodel, we couldn't paint whatever color we wanted to (we could put down carpet, but we had to remove it when we left the house). But when our roof caved in we were put in a hotel and it was fixed free of charge. Exterior painting & other maintenances were free. As a homeowner, I know which I'd prefer. :)
Now to mention our free healthcare it's free as long as you use military run facilities or are "approved" through tricare to be seen by a civilian.
Yeah, free healthcare. Just like I said.
And lets not forget as an active duty military person you can be notified TODAY that you will be deploying for Iraq TOMORROW!! I've seen it happen!
Yes, and I've experienced it happen. Maybe that's note as valid as seeing it? Dunno. Not Iraq, but deployment without warning (and families torn apart for 9+ months at a time, including mine). When I was in active military family there was no charge for uniforms. Not that I remember, perhaps I'm remembering incorrectly, or perhaps something has changed since then. Entirely possible, it has been a while.
So please don't insinuate that the military life is easy or we have some sort of money trees here. For the service my husband, myself, and others have given to this country, it's insulting! Especially since you have no idea what you are talking about! I have been military affiliated for 11 years so I DO know what I'm talking about!
I didn't say it was easy. I would never say that military life is an easy life, especially knowing what it did to me and my family. In fact, I say quite the opposite and always have. But not in financial terms. My belief and my experience is that financially, enlisted do have it "easier" than civilian, in terms of financial responsibilities. If I insinuated anything it's that an abnormally large number of military families seem to have financial problems when you compare them to civilian families making similar incomes, paying more in cost of living.

That sounds better than Obama's plan: universal health care paid for by taxpayers.
The whole universal healthcare thing gets me. It's one of few issues I'm on the fence about. I can't help but think that we (unofficially) already have free healthcare. In a manner of speaking. Anyone can walk into an ER and be treated. If I was poor, had no insurance, and something happened to me (cold, broken leg, paper cut, amputation... doesn't matter) that's exactly what I would do. And it happens ALL the time. And by doing it, I'm raising the cost for the next guy who has private insurance and is already paying a $150 copay. So are we better off paying for it as part of an organized system, where we know what we're paying, or are we better off paying for it indirectly through higher premiums, higher cost of treatment, reduced benefits, etc? It's a very difficult question to answer (for me anyway!).

Does anyone know what makes a person "middle class" when it comes to combine salary? Does it vary state to state?

So many resources and people define it in so many ways. Sometimes it's an earnings figure, sometimes it's a standard of living, sometimes it's personal characteristics such as education, etc. Census data uses quintiles, and I've also seen the third quintile used to bracket "middle class." Quintile salary definitions change annually, so even by this standard there wouldn't be a set definition. Historical Income Tables - Income Equality (doesn't include recent years) American middle class - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (See "Academic Models" section in particular)

I can't help but think that we (unofficially) already have free healthcare. Anyone can walk into an ER and be treated.

Well, yes and no. The law is that everybody that comes into an ER has to be evaluated. Treatment is not mandatory for non life-threatening situations (a woman going into labor is the exception).

But otherwise, yes. I see it all the time. My hospital's ER is constantly deluged by emergencies such as nausea, cough, foot pain, etc. We had to, by necessity, institute some strategies to control the flow of humanity.

You know I really think the problem with people these days is greed! Some of you have stated there are these people who live off the government without working and why should someone who makes more pay out more in taxes, etc. This is really disheartening to me as an American. My husband is in the Air Force and I am a veteran myself, I have seen lots of families on government programs like foodstamps and wic. It is incredulous the view some of you have about people on government assistance. Do I think that there are people out there who abuse the system? Yes of course but how can we do away with the system when there are MORE people who genuinely need the help? Reform it, yes but do away with it NO.

Maybe we need to make college more financially available to people of ALL incomes, which in my opinion would help with abuse of government assistance. Which by the way is what Obama plans to do!

I don't disagree that education should be available and affordable but we need to be careful on how we provide that education.

I grew up in a low income area. Many of the people in my hometown are hard working but struggle and have needed welfare from time to time, my mother included. But several are also career welfare. I don't think there is anything wrong with welfare helping people until they can make it on their own but it is not meant to be a lifetime situation.

There are many examples in my hometown but one comes to mind after reading your idea of making college more financially available. This couple has had seven children and raised them all on welfare. Like many others, he knows how to work the system and gets heating assistance, utility discounts, housing, a car to get back and forth appointments and five of his seven children got to go to college on Welfares dime. Four of those five children have finished college, none are working, one is a drug addict and a thief, the others all have multiple children and are on welfare likely to be carreer welfare just like their parents. One daughter grew up with my sister, both wanted to be teachers my sister is now teaching at a college and paying off her loans herself because my mom couldn't pay for her college. Meanwhile her friend had a welfare paid education and is on her fifth child while living off welfare.

Those are the types of welfare people I have a problem with.

I work in a hospital and I see abuse of the system EVERYDAY. Then I get people that really need it and have problems getting help.

I don't think there is anything wrong with welfare helping people until they can make it on their own but it is not meant to be a lifetime situation.
I'm not a fan of welfare (as it exists right now) but this is very true. Welfare is very misunderstood, by recipients as well as non. (Unfortunately I hear a lot more about gas prices around the candidates than I do things like welfare reform). food stamps - one of the worst abuses out there. Again, this is anecdotal and limited to my state, but about 90% of people on food stamps think it is there to purchase their groceries. It's there to subsidize what a bunch of calculations and formulas have determined you should be contributing to your grocery bill, so that you and your children can have healthier, more nutritious food than what you might otherwise be able to buy. It is not intended to carry the grocery bill for the entire family (hence W-I-C). Dad, feed yourself. Incidentally, here is my state's current WIC list. I don't necessarily agree with everything allowed, but at least they're starting to get more serious about narrowing the scope, enforcing generics, etc.

And as an aside... Jack -- what types of situations were you responsible for investigating?

I don't like welfare abuse, but if paying for abuse means children eat, I'm okay with that. Let's face it--these people who are getting food stamps and medicaid while driving Escalades and carrying Coach purses are going to still drive Escalades and carry Coach purses while their children starve and suffer. If they'll abuse the welfare system, it isn't likely they'll step up and care for their children otherwise. Plus, when you tighten the system, you are going to leave out a lot of people who don't abuse it but have no other way to make it. I'm also okay with paying more taxes if need be, probably because I have been there and needed help for a few months when my husband lost his job and I had just delivered a premature baby with a 1 yr old at home. We work hard now, but we also worked hard then.

Of course, I'm just a tree-hugging hippie liberal.

Well, it depends on what information you're talking about. The pay information comes from two cousins and a good friend who are active military (two Army, one Navy), as well as the information listed on the military.com benefits site (though their information actually reflects higher comp than what I mentioned). If you're talking about the other information I posted, it comes 18 years as part of an active military family, and about 12 years as part of a retired military family, knowing what my active military family and friends experience, etc.Why do you present things like having to take care of your own yard as such a hardship? (And I never said housing allowance was given when you lived on base. It makes sense that it wouldn't be - we didn't need an allowance to pay for something that was free.) I don't think I contested any of this. We were (and should have been) expected to maintain our free yard when we lived in housing. I mean - yeah. Not hard to do when Water was free, we were provided a free lawnmower (granted it was the spinning razor push type, but it was useable), and we could even borrow sprinklers from the... forget what it was called, same place from which we could borrow broadcast spreaders, same place that would provide seed/fertilizer if we needed it, etc. (Drawing a total blank but it was the same building people would go to to get the free bread, cheese, Peanut Butter, etc.) This is going to vary by state and time of year, but right now my electric + Water bill is hitting about $510 a month. Not having to pay those would be significant. Cable is optional. Phone is arguably optional, but doesn't cost anywhere near $510. I'd just pay phone + cable over mortgage + electric + water + maintenance + repairs etc. in a heartbeat if I had the choice. Yes, you give up freedoms for free housing (at least we did) but they weren't huge comparatively. We couldn't hang more than one thing on a given wall, couldn't renovate or remodel, we couldn't paint whatever color we wanted to (we could put down carpet, but we had to remove it when we left the house). But when our roof caved in we were put in a hotel and it was fixed free of charge. Exterior painting & other maintenances were free. As a homeowner, I know which I'd prefer. :biggrin: Yeah, free healthcare. Just like I said. Yes, and I've experienced it happen. Maybe that's note as valid as seeing it? Dunno. Not Iraq, but deployment without warning (and families torn apart for 9+ months at a time, including mine). When I was in active military family there was no charge for uniforms. Not that I remember, perhaps I'm remembering incorrectly, or perhaps something has changed since then. Entirely possible, it has been a while. I didn't say it was easy. I would never say that military life is an easy life, especially knowing what it did to me and my family. In fact, I say quite the opposite and always have. But not in financial terms. My belief and my experience is that financially, enlisted do have it "easier" than civilian, in terms of financial responsibilities. If I insinuated anything it's that an abnormally large number of military families seem to have financial problems when you compare them to civilian families making similar incomes, paying more in cost of living.

First of all your facts are wrong! I think your "friends" are exaggerating to you on how much they make and I don't what pay chart you are looking at but you might want to make sure you are looking at ENLISTED and not OFFICER pay, there is a big difference! And note that is base pay and doesn't include the taxes being taken out and other fees for dental insurance and life insurance and other things. The self-help store you are referring to is soon going away when eventually ALL of base housing will go privitized. I'm NOT trying to make it seem military life is a hardship, but I get really pissed when someone like YOU makes it seem as if we live in the lap of luxury and don't pay for anything! IF my husband had this job as a civilian his salary would be TWICE what he is paid currently and that is MORE than what it costs the military to house us! Think about that!

Another thing about uniforms, YOU ARE WRONG buddy! When you enlist you are issued uniforms in basic training after that you are given a yearly clothing allowance based on your paygrade. Talk to any REAL military member that is getting the appropriate gear and they will tell you their clothing allowance does not cover a years worth of uniforms and everything that goes into them. They charge for uniforms at clothing sales store on base. You also have to pay for your PT uniform! There is a military spouses group on LBT take look and ask anyone of them if you don't believe me! UGH, it never ceases to amaze me what SOME people think about how it is to be military.

Edited by cobrien78

Here we go...lets all do a write in. I'd vote for him

GetAttachment.aspx&hm__qs=file%3d4d024eda-a02f-4ed4-8e89-0e2ce97eb7ae.jpg%26ct%3daW1hZ2UvanBlZw_3d_3d%26name%3dSW1hZ2UuanBn%26inline%3d1%26rfc%3d0%26empty%3dFalse%26imgsrc%3dcid%253a017e01c9186c%2524e8401c20%25249c084945%2540WebSurfer&oneredir=1&ip=10.1.106.216&d=d857&mf=0

I HAVE DECIDED TO BECOME A WRITE-IN CANDIDATE.

HERE IS MY PLATFORM:

(1) 'Press 1 for English' is immediately banned. English is the official language; speak it or wait at the border until you can.

(2) We will immediately go into a two year isolationist posture to straighten out the country's attitude. NO imports, no exports. We will use the '
' policy, 'If we ain't got it, you don't need it.'

(3) When imports are allowed, there will be a 100% import tax on it.

(4) All retired military personnel will be required to man one of our many observation towers on the southern border. (six month tour) They will be under strict orders not to fire on
SOUTHBOUND
aliens.

(5) Social security will immediately return to its original state. If you didn't put nuttin' in, you ain't gettin nuttin' out. The president nor any other politician will not be able to touch it.

(6) Welfare-Checks will be handed out on Fridays at the end of the 40 hour school week and the successful completion of urinalysis and a passing grade.

(7) Professional Athletes -- Steroids -- The FIRST time you check positive you're banned for life.

(8) Crime - We will adopt the Turkish method, the first time you steal, you lose your right hand. There are no more life sentences. If convicted, you will be put to death by the same method you chose for your victim: gun, knife, strangulation, etc.

(9) One export will be allowed: Wheat. The world needs to eat. A bushel of wheat will be the exact price of a barrel of oil.

(10) All foreign aid using American taxpayer money will immediately cease and the saved money will pay off the national debt and ultimately lower taxes. When disasters occur around the world, we'll ask the American people if they want to donate to a disaster fund and each citizen can make the decision whether it's a worthy cause.

(11) The Pledge of Allegiance will be said every day at school and every day in Congress.

(12) The National Anthem will be played at all appropriate ceremonies, sporting events, outings, etc.

Sorry if I stepped on anyone's toes but a vote for me will get you better than what you have and better than what you're gonna get. Thanks for listening and remember to write in my name on the ballot in November.

God Bless America !!!!!!!!!!!

Bill Cosby!!!!!!!!

GetAttachment.aspx&hm__qs=file%3d55549880-a3f0-406f-ad76-ad4977aee068.jpg%26ct%3daW1hZ2UvanBlZw_3d_3d%26name%3dSW1hZ2UuanBn%26inline%3d1%26rfc%3d0%26empty%3dFalse%26imgsrc%3dcid%253a017f01c9186c%2524e841a2c0%25249c084945%2540WebSurfer&oneredir=1&ip=10.1.106.216&d=d857&mf=0

Please Forward This to Everyone you know no matter which side of the fence they're on.

Jack - certainly it does. I was just interested in what you had experienced. Being under a social work label, I wasn't sure what type of investigations you would run. (E.g. I know a few social workers who actually investigate social work cases such as child welfare, but I also know some who investigate internal and process compliance). It's just an area I"ev always found interesting. :biggrin:

So many resources and people define it in so many ways. Sometimes it's an earnings figure, sometimes it's a standard of living, sometimes it's personal characteristics such as education, etc. Census data uses quintiles, and I've also seen the third quintile used to bracket "middle class." Quintile salary definitions change annually, so even by this standard there wouldn't be a set definition. Historical Income Tables - Income Equality (doesn't include recent years) American middle class - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (See "Academic Models" section in particular)

I had a hard time myself with the "financial" definition. Only because our candidates make points that the middle class will get this and that but does anyone know if they fall into that category or not? I need specifics when someone tells me something and if they're specifically targeting the middle class don't we need know what defines it?