Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

WHY are people voting for McCain?

IF the economy is the #1 issue in America why would you vote for McCain? He stated not long ago (Sept 15,2008) that the fundamentals of our economy is good:blink:. Seriously? Then just today or yesterday, he said the problem with the economy is corporate greed and would have a commission (much like the like 9/11 commission) study it. WTF?! So basically he is saying he doesn't want to deal with the economy! AND lets not forget his TOP economic advisor stated just a few months ago in JUNE/JULY of THIS year that there was nothing wrong with our economy and that the American people were a bunch of "whiners". Does this sound like a person who is for the people? It is just infuriating to me that this race has become "tight"! I mean it's pretty bad when Karl Rove says the McCain campaign is lying and running a bad campaign!! UGH I will never understand what people see in McCain!

IF the economy is the #1 issue in America why would you vote for McCain? He stated not long ago (Sept 15,2008) that the fundamentals of our economy is good:blink:. Seriously? Then just today or yesterday, he said the problem with the economy is corporate greed and would have a commission (much like the like 9/11 commission) study it. WTF?! So basically he is saying he doesn't want to deal with the economy! AND lets not forget his TOP economic advisor stated just a few months ago in JUNE/JULY of THIS year that there was nothing wrong with our economy and that the American people were a bunch of "whiners". Does this sound like a person who is for the people? It is just infuriating to me that this race has become "tight"! I mean it's pretty bad when Karl Rove says the McCain campaign is lying and running a bad campaign!! UGH I will never understand what people see in McCain!

Sorry cobrien, I believe you "bought the hype" 100%. 1) - He clarified that he was referring to the American people when he was talking about the fundamentals of the economy. 2) - The commission statement was in reference to what, if any, action the government should take with huge investment and insurance firms. 3) - I think a lot of Americans are whiners. Lots of folks don't want to roll up sleeves and work....all they want is the government tit. 4) - Rove (who I cannot stand, BTW) was pointing out that both campaigns are running ads that are factually misleading, or downright wrong.

See, when you only skim the headlines, or get news from highly biased sources, you only get , like 10% of the story. I should point out that I'm a registered independant, and I haven't made up my mind yet who'll I'll vote for. I don't blindly swallow all the McCain attack ads either. The kindergarden sex ed ad was 100% false (just to give an example).

Why is the race so tight? Because the majority of Americans who work hard for their money believe in the idea that government should be kept to a minimum. They believe that redistribution of wealth is basically and totally un-American. They don't share the same core values as the pseudo-intellectual liberals that mocks religion and gun ownership. Bottom line, it seems the democrats just cannot or will not see that the vast majority of the American public have conservative values, not liberal.

So, there are some reasons why some people support McCain. Hope that answers your question.

Sorry cobrien, I believe you "bought the hype" 100%. 1) - He clarified that he was referring to the American people when he was talking about the fundamentals of the economy. 2) - The commission statement was in reference to what, if any, action the government should take with huge investment and insurance firms. 3) - I think a lot of Americans are whiners. Lots of folks don't want to roll up sleeves and work....all they want is the government tit. 4) - Rove (who I cannot stand, BTW) was pointing out that both campaigns are running ads that are factually misleading, or downright wrong.

See, when you only skim the headlines, or get news from highly biased sources, you only get , like 10% of the story. I should point out that I'm a registered independant, and I haven't made up my mind yet who'll I'll vote for. I don't blindly swallow all the McCain attack ads either. The kindergarden sex ed ad was 100% false (just to give an example).

Why is the race so tight? Because the majority of Americans who work hard for their money believe in the idea that government should be kept to a minimum. They believe that redistribution of wealth is basically and totally un-American. They don't share the same core values as the pseudo-intellectual liberals that mocks religion and gun ownership. Bottom line, it seems the democrats just cannot or will not see that the vast majority of the American public have conservative values, not liberal.

So, there are some reasons why some people support McCain. Hope that answers your question.

You should be sorry! Early this year John McCain stated he didn't know much about the economy. I don't SKIM headlines I see the whole story and let me tell you it doesn't appeal to the majority of Americans who ARE hard-working and NOT looking for a hand-out that we are a bunch of whiners! That's not very patriotic if you have a crappy view of the average American. So, basically what you and McCain and his advisors are saying is that because we have some Americans who are "abusing" the system or looking for "the government tit" we should do away with government intervening to help those who aren't and by no fault of their own in serious financial trouble because of state of our economy?

And since when does the word fundamentals refer to people?! That makes no sense whatsoever! However, not surprising that he is just NOW "clarifying" that statement since just NOW he is being called out on it.

And for your information Obama has laid out a 6 point plan to get the economy running! So maybe YOU should be paying more attention! AND here is a quote from CBS.com what exactly McCain said in his interview!

"The economy is in crisis," McCain said on CBS News' The Early Show. "The fundamentals of our economy are the American worker. The American worker still the most productive and the hardest working, most industrious worker in the world and I am proud of them."

"They have been betrayed by Wall Street -- by greed, by excess and by corruption and they have been done a great disservice, but someone disagrees that American workers aren't the best in the world, we just have a disagreement," he added in the interview with Harry Smith. "We need to set up a 9/11 Commission in order to get to the bottom of this and get it fixed, and act to clean up this corruption… They've violated the social contract that capitalism and the citizen have, and we can't ever let this happen again. I'll make sure it never happens again."

As far as I can see there is no plan to get us out of this crisis on his part! But then I guess I was just skimming!:thumbup:

Because I can't afford the tax increases Obama has proposed.

And this, since he took the time to type out what I didn't feel like typing..

Why is the race so tight? Because the majority of Americans who work hard for their money believe in the idea that government should be kept to a minimum. They believe that redistribution of wealth is basically and totally un-American. They don't share the same core values as the pseudo-intellectual liberals that mocks religion and gun ownership.

Edited by FairyFacade

We own a gun smithing business, my husband is a 28 year veteran of the army special Ops, and my son and daughter are in the army.

Why am I voting for McCain?

Because Obama wants strict gun control. Because McCain has Military experience, because I believe McCain and Palin's views are closer to mine. We are small business owners. I am in healthcare. We believe in "little governement, big people" where as democrats believe in "Big government, little people".

Here is a site listing the differences between a republican and a democrat.

Difference Between Republicans and Democrats

My question: How can you vote for Obama??

Edited by JWRN

I found this from a website and it pretty much sums things up:

http://http://conservativeprincipals.blogspot.com/2008/06/10-differences-between-democrats-and.html

1) Democrats want someone to take someone else's money and feed the poor. Republicans want to take their own money and feed the poor themselves.

2) Democrats want to fight corporations and hug terrorists. Republicans want to work for or run corporations and fight terrorists.

3) Democrats want the right to legislate equality. Republicans want to the right to earn equality.

4) Democrats want to save the earth despite the presence of people. Republicans want to save the earth because of the presence of people.

5) Democrats select stances that will enhance their positions with special interest groups. Republicans select stances they believe are correct.

6) Democrats will use any means, including legislating from the bench, to achieve their goals. Republicans will surrender an issue rather than rape the U.S. Constitution.

7) Democrats will stab their own friends in the back (Hillary Clinton) as soon as someone seemingly better comes along (Obama). Republicans still honor their fallen political heroes and even adopt fallen Democrats (see Dick Morris and Bernie Goldberg).

8) Democrats will march around and throw blood on people wearing fur and protest the harsh living conditions of chickens. Republicans are against abortion.

9) Thanks to a few conservative radio shows and a single unbiased news channel, Democrats don't feel like the Fairness Doctrine would hurt the first amendment. Republicans haven't changed their stance on freedom of speech despite the fact that the overwhelming majority of the media are liberal.

10) Democrats rejoice when someone they disagree with dies. Republicans, as usual, cherish and respect life.

You should be sorry! Early this year John McCain stated he didn't know much about the economy. I don't SKIM headlines I see the whole story and let me tell you it doesn't appeal to the majority of Americans who ARE hard-working and NOT looking for a hand-out that we are a bunch of whiners! That's not very patriotic if you have a crappy view of the average American. So, basically what you and McCain and his advisors are saying is that because we have some Americans who are "abusing" the system or looking for "the government tit" we should do away with government intervening to help those who aren't and by no fault of their own in serious financial trouble because of state of our economy?

And since when does the word fundamentals refer to people?! That makes no sense whatsoever! However, not surprising that he is just NOW "clarifying" that statement since just NOW he is being called out on it.

And for your information Obama has laid out a 6 point plan to get the economy running! So maybe YOU should be paying more attention! AND here is a quote from CBS.com what exactly McCain said in his interview!

"The economy is in crisis," McCain said on CBS News' The Early Show. "The fundamentals of our economy are the American worker. The American worker still the most productive and the hardest working, most industrious worker in the world and I am proud of them."

"They have been betrayed by Wall Street -- by greed, by excess and by corruption and they have been done a great disservice, but someone disagrees that American workers aren't the best in the world, we just have a disagreement," he added in the interview with Harry Smith. "We need to set up a 9/11 Commission in order to get to the bottom of this and get it fixed, and act to clean up this corruption… They've violated the social contract that capitalism and the citizen have, and we can't ever let this happen again. I'll make sure it never happens again."

As far as I can see there is no plan to get us out of this crisis on his part! But then I guess I was just skimming!:thumbup:

Well said. We also cannot protect this country if we are crippled economically like we are quickly heading now. Who's going to pay taxes when all the good jobs are outsourced. Who's going to buy goods to keep the economy a float (the 1% of wealthy Americans)? Who's going to pay for the soldiers while they are off fighting a war that never should have been waged. Everything will be affected. Less police protection, hospital closures, roads not being repaired. The Republicans think they will not be affected but everyone will be affected even that 1%. I am trying to simplify here as this is such a touchy subject for me so I'll just keep it light. That was a great question!

Unfortunately, you can't just rely on headlines and put your own two cents in and claim it's true. I admit, I'm a conservative democrat, but I just can't vote Obama. He has no experience, is basically a media darling and can do no wrong, picked a vp that should have been Hillary Clinton, can rile up crowds yet speeches have no substance (reminds me of Gary Hart sometimes).

On the other hand, McCain hates unions, is against abortion, gay marriage (especially now with Sarah Palin), and is trying so hard to win the republican party over. Yeah, I know the republican convention just happened, but he is still trying.

For me, I might just go in the booth and spin around and tap my finger on screen and leave. :thumbup:

It's like Lewis Black said, in the 2000 (or was it 2004?), when it was against George Bush and Al Gore: "It's like voting for two pieces of S***T."

The question is, which one stinks less?

Hey, you posed the question.....then you get all angry when I tell you the answer. You may not agree with what I said, but I think enough Americans do that this race has become close.

BTW, the excerpt from that CBS pretty much summed up what I typed. You took it out of context. So either you didn't read the whole thing, or else you were purposely trying to misquote....I gave you the benefit of the doubt.

The way "fundamentals" refers to people is that without workers, we'd have nobody to produce goods or services. Does that clear things up?

Why is the race so tight? Because the majority of Americans who work hard for their money believe in the idea that government should be kept to a minimum. They believe that redistribution of wealth is basically and totally un-American. They don't share the same core values as the pseudo-intellectual liberals that mocks religion and gun ownership.

Because it's worth repeating again.

I found this on RightChange.com. This is supposed to be a nonpartisan website.

Obama's tax program

1. Small main street businesses would be forced to pay tax rates as high as 62.3% under Senator Obama’s tax proposals.1
  2. Senator Obama’s tax plan would tax small businesses at a higher rate than Wal-Mart!2
  3. Taxes on retirement income and savings could increase by at least 33%, hitting millions of seniors when they need these resources the most.3

1. 4 million workers over the age of 50 – those eagerly looking forward to retirement – would be hit with increased tax bills. 4
  2. Millions of Americans would only keep 38 cents of every dollar that they earn.5
  3. Senator Obama’s tax plan would reduce the after tax wages of millions of workers by 17.7%.6
  4. It will take 227 days per year, nearly 8 months, just to pay your tax bill!7
  5. 97,065 carpenters, 110,908 police officers, 254,992 nurses, 208,562 postsecondary teachers and 237,000 dentists would see tax increases, if the earnings cap was successfully eliminated.8
  6. 10.3 million workers would see an average of $5,650 taken from their paycheck and given to government programs.9
  7. Even YOU might be considered “Rich.”

First of all what is there to take out of context? These were his own words! His commission plan is for the economy and plainly stated such. I'm not angry, but I don't like to be told that I'm only reading headlines and throwing my own 2 cents in and consider it news. Maybe someone else should check their facts!

JWRN- That is a biased right wing source you have there and it's absolutely incorrect, you can check the facts online at reputable unbiased sites. Maybe you missed it but Obama wants to take guns out of criminals hands while maintaining the the right to bear arms said so himself in his speech. And what are McCain's plans?

So are we supposed to just have good faith in the wealthiest people to give money to the poor? Whatever! Why shouldn't the wealthiest people pay more in taxes? Can they not afford it? Also, studies have shown that in the past 20 years our economy does better under a democratic president.

Personally my morals and beliefs are more conservative but I am sick and tired of seeing our economy the way it is. Also, I'm sick and tired of seeing our soldiers die over oil that makes Cheney and all his cronies rich!

Jack- that congress you talk about, McCain has been apart of for what 26 years? Makes you wonder doesn't it.

How is it this person who is running for president is basing his campaign on lies and slander. People support him why? For his moral beliefs? Because you know it's abortions and gay marriage that have brought us to where we are!:) Give me a break there are bigger things at stake then whether Susie is on her 2nd or 3rd abortion or if Joe and Bob want to get married! What are his plans to get us out of this war we shouldn't have started in the first place? What exactly is his plan to stop the economic crisis? I think people need to look at the issues which his campaign manager said this campaign isn't about issues!! WOW! But go ahead and vote for him but don't complain when our country hits a depression after he is elected!

I don't like either one of them...