Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

WHY are people voting for McCain?

RSG, glad to see you in here standing up for what is right!

rsg,

You go girlfriend, we don't need to hear that bigotry spewed on this site! Nancy:smile:

Anyone who thinks that homosexuality is a choice is insane, I'm trying very hard Susan, not to call people names but it's not easy!!!!

Edited by Nanook

I agree with the last few posts. The critical bigotry is exactly what drives me and many others away from organized religion, and I think THAT is an abomination. I stopped being involved in church because I could no longer accept the negative, judgmental and disparaging environment I found from too many "religious" people.

I have also avoided a good friend who through religion became so critical of everyone and everything. We grew up together and went to church together and I still love her but I can not have that constant negativity in my life, especially when it is handed out in the name of God. I was taught that God loves ALL of us and in the end HE will do the judging.

Stop spending so much time judgin others and work on your own very obvious faults. Learn to love all Gods children and leave judgement to him.

RSG, glad to see you in here standing up for what is right!

Very interesting, Susan. Had somebody from the right called somebody from the left a bigot or uneducated, you'd be doing your little moderator thing. :thumbup:

Ok, for all it is worth, I am going to add my 2 cents.

I consider myself a religious person. I also have a brother that is Gay who I love dearly. I do not believe in Gay marriage in the traditional sense. Vows under God should be between a man and a woman (imho and how I was raised in the traditional church). I DO believe in a civil union and rights for gays and lesbians. God loves us all, but that does not mean our behaviors are acceptable to Him.

This view really tears at me. In this big world, we could only be so lucky to find someone that we love and that loves us that we want to spend the rest of our lives with. If that person happens to be of the same sex, is it wrong? It is not right for me, but I pray that my brother finds someone that he loves and respects and that can do the same for him. Even if that person is another man.

There is no need to call others "bigot" or insult their intelligence. We all come from different backgrounds, and were raised differently. If someone is religious and has a strong belief about same-sex marriage that impacts their voting choices, and asked "why are you voting for McCain", then they have as much right to answer this post as anyone else. You don't have to like their answer. I don't think pattygreen directed anything to one person. It was her personal views.

There is no need to call others "bigot" or insult their intelligence. We all come from different backgrounds, and were raised differently. If someone is religious and has a strong belief about same-sex marriage that impacts their voting choices, and asked "why are you voting for McCain", then they have as much right to answer this post as anyone else. You don't have to like their answer. I don't think pattygreen directed anything to one person. It was her personal views.

I disagree...there are homosexual members on this site who have every reason in the world to be offended by being called an abomination...why shouldn't they take such an insult personally?

Very interesting, Susan. Had somebody from the right called somebody from the left a bigot or uneducated, you'd be doing your little moderator thing. :thumbup:

She called me an abomination.

This is not about right or left. This is about treating people with basic human dignity. What she said was ignorant. Is she ignorant, I don't know her so I can't say, but that comment was pure bigotry and/or ignorance.

Probably because she was referring to the Bible. Leviticus 18:22 Leviticus 20:13 (You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female; it is an abomination.)

Now, please don't throw anything at me. I am just telling you where she got it from.

Ok, for all it is worth, I am going to add my 2 cents.

I consider myself a religious person. I also have a brother that is Gay who I love dearly. I do not believe in Gay marriage in the traditional sense. Vows under God should be between a man and a woman (imho and how I was raised in the traditional church). I DO believe in a civil union and rights for gays and lesbians. God loves us all, but that does not mean our behaviors are acceptable to Him.

This view really tears at me. In this big world, we could only be so lucky to find someone that we love and that loves us that we want to spend the rest of our lives with. If that person happens to be of the same sex, is it wrong? It is not right for me, but I pray that my brother finds someone that he loves and respects and that can do the same for him. Even if that person is another man.

She didn't direct them at one person, she made a offensive (very very very offensive) statement towards many people. It was a bigoted statement, and I called it out. I didn't insult her intelligence. You can be smart and ignorant.

I have a right to stand up for myself. I have to stand up to the discrimination so that people know that those outdated, wrong ideas are hurting people. Not just the gays that some people are so against, but they are spreading the ignorance and hatred and that needs to be stopped.

How would you feel if your brother read those statements? How would you feel if someone called your brother an abomination. I hope you wouldn't condon that. I am sure you woudn't.

I was raised southern baptist by a very conservative family. Background is a factor, but not an excuse, nor is it a reason to deny someone their rights. This hate doesn't need to be taught or spread.

My brother is Catholic. In fact, he was going to be a priest. So he knows what the Bible says. I have not seen him burn one and I know he keeps one on his coffee table.

She called me an abomination.

This is not about right or left. This is about treating people with basic human dignity. What she said was ignorant. Is she ignorant, I don't know her so I can't say, but that comment was pure bigotry and/or ignorance.

Unless I missed something, what she posted was:

Do you want to know if it's ok to smoke? Read what God has to say. "Don't harm your body in any way." Do you want to know if homosexuality should be allowed? Read what God has to say. "No, it is an abomination." Do you want to know if You should hang around with people who party? He says "Do not be unequally yoked with them." Do you want to know if abortion should be the mother's choice? God says that if you kill an unbirn baby, YOU are to be killed.(there it is, the death penalty)It is murder." (emphasis mine)

Now, I can understand your upset, but she is referring to what God says about it. I'm not getting into the middle of right and wrong on these issues, but she is quoting.

Sorry, JWRN beat me to it.

But for those who are offended, these people did no make this stuff up. They simply believe in and adhere to a doctrine that you don't believe. It is no different than how people hold as true certain political doctrines.

Probably because she was referring to the Bible. Leviticus 18:22 Leviticus 20:13 (You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female; it is an abomination.)

Now, please don't throw anything at me. I am just telling you where she got it from.

I am very familar with the verses. The bible has many such things in it that make no sense.

I don't think anyone has done as much research in this subject as someone who grew up southern baptist, in louisiana, from a very conservative family, and who also happens to be gay. I have read the bible many times over and found a lot of things not to do, that are common today.

I won't take anyone down that road, it was mine. But I did struggle, a lot. I shouldn't have. It was society I was struggling against.

I am who I am. I am God's child. I am comfortable with that. now. But hearing things like the comments she made while I was growing up is what made life so hard coming into terms with myself. I don't wish that on anyone, and I will stop it from happening to all the younger people that are like me.

I am not "right", "left" or anything else. I abhor politics and all the fighting that has erupted as a result.

Now, had she personally attacked someone or violated an LBT rule, yes, I would have done my "little moderator thing". However, she stated her feelings about people who disagree with her lifestyle and the types of hatred and discrimination she has to tolerate as a result. I applaud people when they stand up for their rights and was pleased to see her enter this particular thread and do so. I applaud and respect people who respect others rights to be who they are and what they are and don't pass judgement upon them. I respect people who understand we are all different and that is what makes this world such a wonderful, interesting place to live. I respect ReadySteadyGo for standing up for who she is and her right to respect, dignity and freedom to live her life in the way that best suits her and makes her happy.

I am the person in the family that had to stand up to my parents when my brother came out. They were ashamed and crying. Long long story, but now my parents are supportive of him.