Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Seeking positive feedback from REALIZE bandsters

Please!!! Is there anyone out there with the realize band that can tell me a success story?? I have read basically only failure stories on the realize forum. I have the realize band (surgery date 7/30/08) I have lost 6 lbs since the day of surgery (gain and lose 2-3 lbs here and there) by willpower and exercise alone. I had my first fill a couple of weeks ago and honestly...I don't even feel like I had any type of surgery.

I cannot do this alone....I need help from the band. I am willing to do my part, but I can't do it alone for very long. Is there anyone out there who felt this way but had good results/restriction later? The regular lapband people seem to have excellent results, but I worry that there wasn't enough research done on th realize band and that it isn't as effective. My next fill is 10/7.... please someone answer me.:smile:

I had the Realize band put in on Aug 5. I have lost 27lbs since surgery. I had my first fill on Sept 3 and could feel the restriction. Before my fill I felt like I was wide open and could eat anything. It does not feel as tight as when I first had my fill, but I am unable to eat any significant amounts of food.

I really work to keep my Protein amounts up so that I am getting enough. I have found when I start getting low on Protein, I slow down on the weight loss.

I am still new so I don't know if this helps you at all.

I haven't been to the Realize forum. I had my surgery on August 4th.

I lost 10 lbs pre op and I've lost 27 since. I had my first fill last week. I didn't lose anything for three weeks prior to the fill. This happens. The doctor explained to me your metabolism starts to slow which is why they want you to exercise. Those three weeks I didn't lose I wavered back and forth 2 lbs but since my fill those two wavering pounds and two more are gone. I have a very conservative doctor and he didn't put much in my fill. He said it would take 3 or 4 to feel a real differnce. It's baby steps to make sure you can eat and so that you get used to chewing your food well. I do notice some things go down more slowly now. I know someone that had a drastic fill and had a terrible time adjusting. Vomiting is the last thing they want to happen. They don't want the band to slip. If you have any other questions feel free to email me. I hope this is some encouragement. I can't speak for the long term results but I was told it was strictly a branding issue and that the Realize band offers the online jounal and support.

Keep your chin up.

I think it's common with either band to not feel "restriction" (and that wonder, satiety) until you've had several fills. I have the AP lap band but can't imagine fills work differently. Aggressive fills cause or contribute to esophageal spasms and forced band removal, so you just need to be patient! Good luck!

I was banded the same day as you with the Realize band. I've lost 22 lbs to date. I lost the first 15 two weeks after surgery. I went pretty much another two weeks without a loss, then lost 4 lbs, then lost another 3 two weeks after that. I have had no restriction and also feel as if I've had nothing done. I had a 3cc fill on Thurdsday and it has made little difference. From reading this board it seems like most of the people who have the realize band don't hit restriction until they are filled at 7 or 8cc's.

I think you just need to give it some time and see where the fills lead you. You may find that you need a diet change wether it be more or less calories.

Please try to be patient here! Work with your band and give it some time. Fills really do help. I cant really say I'm a total "success story" because I have not lost all of my weight yet. But..... I had the Realize band placed on Jan. 7 of this year and I am down 75 pounds. 11 of that was pre op diet. It takes time and some work. I have good days and bad days. Good weeks and bad weeks. I've had 4 fills (last one was May 16) and currently have 8 cc's in my band. I promise, good restriction does make a difference! Good luck!

Thanks for a quick response friends... I can be patient if I know that eventually there will be good restriction. I don't expect to lose it overnight, but I just want to know that in a month or so it will get easier in the sense that I will have help (restriction) from my band. If I had great willpower and strength to do this on my own, then of course i never would have had to GET the band to start with. If I see the scale (or the clothes size starting to come down, then i get SO totally motivated, on the other hand...if I don't see this or worse, see it going the other way then I flop! Again, thanks for giving me this encouragement... I will get back on track right now. I had a bad day today ,because of my attitude. But I definantly just had an attitude adjustment!:lol: Thanks again for being so positive!!! You've done great by the way!! all of you! Angie