Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sept. Samurai Surgery Check-in

I had my banding done yesterday at it has gone quite well!

My boyfriend and I spent the night at my parent's house the night before since it was closer to the hospital and we had to pick up my mom. sleeping in separate rooms was sad, but I didn't want to disrespect my parent house (even though I live with my bf only my mom knows). Conservative I know.

Anyway I woke up at 4:30 because my dad goes to work early and he decided to go into work at 5 so he could make up some time and leave to meet us at the hospital. Took a shower, made my boyfriend some Breakfast of scrambled eggs and oatmeal.

We were in the car about 6:15 for our 7 am checkin and 9am surgery.

When we got there everyone was very nice. My mom was a nurse for years at another hospital, so of course she was eyeing their work like a hawk. She even asked one of the nurses to check my IV because the saline looked like it was running really slow. That nurse was a real b**** about it and snapped at her -- I'm glad she wasn't my nurse and the only mean one the whole day. Even the volunteen came to check on me and rubbed my feet! I had a fan club in the pre-surgery holding room and I liked it. :tongue2:

I went into the real holding room where my family couldn't go and me the anesthesiologist, Dr. Patel. She was really great and friendly. Then my doctors came in to talk to me. I was really greatful to them for putting this program together. Even though the psych stuff wasn't covered by my insurance, I think it was really worth it because I felt like gold the whole morning - my nerves were at a minimim. My doctors ONLY do gastric surgery and very very rarely have to convert to anything open.

The last thing I remember is talking to them. I don't even rememeber getting into the OR. Next thing I know someone is calling my name and I was struggling to keep myself awake. I remember realizing I was in recovery and that I wasn't in pain but I felt really tired -- I saw the clock said about 10:45. Another flash and I was in my own room because my mom and boyfriend walked in. They said they were going to have lunch while I slept.

Right after I woke up again and walked to the bathroom-- my family came back from lunch. My nurse was the best. She told me she was considering having ht procedure done as well. I told her - definitely go with the N.E.W. program they have been great.

Basically by 1:30 we started the discharge process. A representative at the hospital - the Bariatric Surgery coordinator came in with some paperwork and a tummy teddy to help me use when I get up and out of bed and if I needed to cough or do some breathing exercises. At 2, my boyfriend brought around the car and I slept the whole way home.

I feel fine so far, just some soreness at the surgery site. I had some broth and my mom made some home made apple juice dilute in her fancy blender. (Not too fond of it, it was kind of sour.) I woke up at 3:30 to go to the bathroom, and was in a little more sore than yesterday (just like when you go to the gym) but I probably will go back to bed soon since I just took my tylenol w/codine.

Have a good night. I'll update later on in the day!

Congrats to all the September Samurai! I'm glad to join your ranks!

Congratulations to all of you and speedy recoveries to you all as well.

Monday will be the day that I join yall on the losers bench.

I am excited and becoming nervous.

The clear liquid diet has kicked my butt, I came home early from work on yesterday and decided not to return to until 9-22-08.

So say a prayer for me on 9-8-08 and I will say one for the other surgeries as well

Sheila

Congrats!!! Glad everything turned out well for you. Now for the most exciting journey, weight loss! :tongue2:

I had my banding done yesterday at it has gone quite well!

My boyfriend and I spent the night at my parent's house the night before since it was closer to the hospital and we had to pick up my mom. sleeping in separate rooms was sad, but I didn't want to disrespect my parent house (even though I live with my bf only my mom knows). Conservative I know.

Anyway I woke up at 4:30 because my dad goes to work early and he decided to go into work at 5 so he could make up some time and leave to meet us at the hospital. Took a shower, made my boyfriend some Breakfast of scrambled eggs and oatmeal.

We were in the car about 6:15 for our 7 am checkin and 9am surgery.

When we got there everyone was very nice. My mom was a nurse for years at another hospital, so of course she was eyeing their work like a hawk. She even asked one of the nurses to check my IV because the saline looked like it was running really slow. That nurse was a real b**** about it and snapped at her -- I'm glad she wasn't my nurse and the only mean one the whole day. Even the volunteen came to check on me and rubbed my feet! I had a fan club in the pre-surgery holding room and I liked it. :mellow:

I went into the real holding room where my family couldn't go and me the anesthesiologist, Dr. Patel. She was really great and friendly. Then my doctors came in to talk to me. I was really greatful to them for putting this program together. Even though the psych stuff wasn't covered by my insurance, I think it was really worth it because I felt like gold the whole morning - my nerves were at a minimim. My doctors ONLY do gastric surgery and very very rarely have to convert to anything open.

The last thing I remember is talking to them. I don't even rememeber getting into the OR. Next thing I know someone is calling my name and I was struggling to keep myself awake. I remember realizing I was in recovery and that I wasn't in pain but I felt really tired -- I saw the clock said about 10:45. Another flash and I was in my own room because my mom and boyfriend walked in. They said they were going to have lunch while I slept.

Right after I woke up again and walked to the bathroom-- my family came back from lunch. My nurse was the best. She told me she was considering having ht procedure done as well. I told her - definitely go with the N.E.W. program they have been great.

Basically by 1:30 we started the discharge process. A representative at the hospital - the Bariatric Surgery coordinator came in with some paperwork and a tummy teddy to help me use when I get up and out of bed and if I needed to cough or do some breathing exercises. At 2, my boyfriend brought around the car and I slept the whole way home.

I feel fine so far, just some soreness at the surgery site. I had some broth and my mom made some home made apple juice dilute in her fancy blender. (Not too fond of it, it was kind of sour.) I woke up at 3:30 to go to the bathroom, and was in a little more sore than yesterday (just like when you go to the gym) but I probably will go back to bed soon since I just took my tylenol w/codine.

Have a good night. I'll update later on in the day!

Congrats to all the September Samurai! I'm glad to join your ranks!

I am reporting an excellent experience with being banded on Sept. 4th at Loyola Medical Center, near Chicago. I am so surprised at how well everything went. I felt very well taken care of. The nurses were very concerned about my pain levels at all times but I only needed medication the 1st hour after surgery and then first thing the next day. My doctor requires an overnight stay and a swallow test in the morning. That went fine for me and I am now home and ready to start my new life.

Good luck to all of the upcoming bandsters in Sept.

Hi everyone,

I was banded September 2 and seem to be doing pretty well now. I do still have some pain in the port area and still have some pain in my shoulders mostly on my left side but other than that I am doing pretty good. Going back to work on Monday so that should be interesting and also going to support group that day as well. Looking forward to seeing eveyone success including my own. Theresa WA

Had a bit of a lupus flare last night, my face got all red. I am feeling more muscle aches today but I think if I can get a little more sleep I should be fine. They warned me this may happen, so I wasn't surprised.

Yesterday the hospital called to check on me and said that I sounded cheery - and I was until my lupus kicked in. Otherwise I'm fine and trying to get up and about.

I'm really excited because my boyfriend is coming over to walk me over to the park! Can't wait - but I'm going to take a nap beforehand.

How are all the other people who have already been banded so far doing?

Great to read all the encouraging words from those of you who are on the other side! Wednesday is my day - getting nervous and excited. I just pray and hope I will do as well as the rest of you!

So glad to hear that everyone is doing so well. And in case you were wondering, we love your detailed stories. I am getting so much from all of you. Some of you are so descriptive it is like I am there. I am very visual and this is really helping me. Knowing what lies ahead is half the battle.

Keep letting us know how you are doing, we all care so much about you! Debbie

I had my surgery on Thurs, Sept. 4. I'm so excited and ready to loose this weight once and for all!! My surgery went well... this was the first time I've ever had surgery... let me just say that needles, hospitals and IV's are MY WORST fear! So I am extremely proud of myself for facing this fear. I had a lot of nausea and was dry heaving a few tmes... not fun... and hurt a lot! But today, I am feeling better just "tender" and the gas pains are starting to subside!

Good luck to the past and future Sept. Samauri's!! :thumbup:

I was banded on Sept. 4th and while I am doing okay now, it was not an easy process. I wasn't going to post, but I want those that haven't gone to know that sometimes it doesn't go as smoothly for everyone. I was in the hospital for 2 nights. Alot of pain. Alot of gas. And I had to be 'unfilled' already. Just having a rough time.. but wanted to check in. I am lookin forward to getting past this stage and on with the weight loss. I don't know how much I've lost yet because my scale is upstairs. Maybe tomorrow I'll conquer them.

Jennifer~ I hope that your experience gets better!

Debbie~ I'm with you...very visual. I love the detailed stories!

Keep em coming!

OMG I am so happy for all of you I am Thursday...EEEP I am really excited though. I love the stories keep 'em coming!

Thanks for checking in with us. Hope you get to feeling better real soon. It is rough the first few days, but I'm optimistic we WILL make it. Take care.

I was banded on Sept. 4th and while I am doing okay now, it was not an easy process. I wasn't going to post, but I want those that haven't gone to know that sometimes it doesn't go as smoothly for everyone. I was in the hospital for 2 nights. Alot of pain. Alot of gas. And I had to be 'unfilled' already. Just having a rough time.. but wanted to check in. I am lookin forward to getting past this stage and on with the weight loss. I don't know how much I've lost yet because my scale is upstairs. Maybe tomorrow I'll conquer them.

Jennifer, everyone is different, and please tell your story. As my Band Buddy said, we need to know the good, the bad and the ugly. And telling your story might help you feel better, maybe someone has gone through the same thing. My husband told me, that's what you have your support group for and he was right. Everyone has been there for me and I have gotten lots of hugs.

Look, maybe you are just more sensitive or maybe your surgery was more complicated. Don't dismiss yourself.

Jennifer, just do the best you can do, but follow your Doctor's instructions to the letter. And take your pain meds as directed. Don't be a hero. Maybe with controlled pain you will be able to move more.

But remember - WE ARE THERE FOR YOU! SEPTEMBER SAMURAI STICK TOGETHER. Okay, so rest and soon you will feel better :thumbup: Huggs Debbie

Thank you all for sharing your stories. It really helps to hear everything so I am more in the know.

Jennifer, I agree with Debbie. You are doing great! You just had major surgery so it is okay if you take it easy. Take your pain meds and rest if you need to. You will be up before you know it and losing weight!!