Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

not everyone accepts the card. There are fewer places that dont except it then there are that do take it. MOST the time, you dont even have to show the card. They will ask if you have a card and thats it. When I start to get mine out, they just say "Thats ok, I dont need to see it" It is good to keep on hand though just in case.

What kind of complications, do you know? I hope that didnt scare her out of her surgery. Hope he is getting better. I wont lie, those first couple weeks are rough. I remember one night laying in bed crying saying "what have I done to myself" Turned out I was so sick from other reasons though, but recovery can be rough. BUT it is well worth it, I have NO regrets.

Thanks Judy! Im keeping my fingers crossed for the insurance......

Elizabeth - I dont know what his complications were. :P

Thanks Judy! Im keeping my fingers crossed for the insurance......

Thats good news, I have my 4th visit with Lindsey next week so it is almost time to have everything sent to the insurance for myself.

How long do you have to go to Lindsey??? I had to go 6 months, 12 visits.

How long do you have to go to Lindsey??? I had to go 6 months, 12 visits.

My insurance says I had to have 6 visits to Lindsey. The next one on the 8th is my 4th visit.

Does anyone recommend a fitness center in the area? I been going to Mens Revolutions but I had a schedual change at work so I am looking for another. Any Ideas?

Before I get started...White, I recommend Anytime Fitness! I love it there!

Hi guys. Sorry I didn't post sooner, it's been a busy few weeks for me.

Brian had his surgery on March 19th and went home that night. The next night I had to take him back to the hospital. He was MAJORLY constipated from the pre-op diet, he was having trouble peeing because he was so constipated, and he had a little pneumonia because he couldn't take a deep breath. So he was in the hospital from March 20th till March 23rd. That whole week he just kinda laid around, didn't do much but pop pills. I had my surgery on March 26th....no problems! I told Dr. K I was going to be his model patient!! Well the next morning when Dr. K saw me in the hospital, Brian was there to take me home. He ended up admitting Brian two doors down from me before I got discharged!! So I had to find another ride home. LOL

At 9:00 that night, Brian called me and said he was going into surgery to remove the band, and that's all I knew. I got the kids settled and got to the hospital about 9:30. Dr. K came out to see me somewhere between 12:30 and 1:00 (I think). Brian's stomach had developed a hole in it. Everything he drank and his stomach acids were going into his gut. Now I don't know why; I don't know if it was because of the band, or if it was because he was throwing up after surgery he ripped something, or if it just happened. I want to stress I DO NOT BLAME DR. KAPLAN ONE BIT! After surgery Dr. K was just heart sick, I could tell. He told me he's still committed to helping Brian lose weight, but that he's no longer a candidate for weight loss surgery. Dr. K had to remove the band, sew the hole shut then sew a flap down over the hole. That was last Thursday night. Brian has a central line, drains, feeding tube, morphine pump, and a pretty zipper looking scar about a foot long. He was in ICU for Saturday and Sunday, then ACU for Monday, then Tuesday he was moved to a step-down unit. He's excited because he gets to try fluids this morning.

I have guilt that I have the band and he doesn't. He's still happy that I've lost an additional 7 pounds since surgery, but I wanted to go through this together. I haven't had much of a recovery time between trips to the hospital and taking care of the kids, but I'm back to work today and may get to relax a little here (how sad is that??).

So there's my not-so-short story of where I've been the last few weeks.

Jenn

Wow, Jennifer, sorry to hear about all that. you are right though, that wasnt Kaplans doing. Apparently he may have had something going on that wasnt seen until now or maybe I wonder if he had a weak spot in his stomach and the trauma of everything going on just opened it up.. Wow, how awful. I copied and pasted your message and sent it to my mom and told her to send it to my aunt Jeanie to let her know whats going on. Glad to hear you are doing well. You need to take care of yourself right now also. I know you want to be there with him all you can, but you need to rest also.

Keep us posted on how things are going. Hopefully we will see you at the next Support Group meeting.

Hey guys. Were you guys hungry before you got your first fill? I feel like I have no restriction, so I'm being very very careful with what I eat. Is this normal?

Jenn

VERY normal. Just be careful with the choices you make. Dont get in the bad habit, "well it goes down, I can eat it" I did that with bread and all that stuff for the first couple months so I didnt lose as fast as he wanted me to. Hang in there. How much longer do you have for your first fill? How is hubby doing? My aunt Jeanie was in the weekend and she told me that he is now out of the hospital and eating liquids. Physically and emotionally, how is he? How are you? Dont forget your first LapBand support group meeting. 4th Monday of the month at 6pm at the banding center..

For those of you who missed the last meeting, Jeannie is looking into having 2 meeting days and was looking for suggestions for days. I think they are leaning towards Thursdays right now. Just though I would let you all know. The group is GROWING. See you all there.

Elizabeth,

Yeah, I was a dummy and ate mashed potatos and mac & cheese one day...OMG!! I had cankles! WAYYY too much salt/starch. I learned my lesson. So I've been watching myself since then. Low fat cottage cheese, yougurt, creamy Soups. I need to drink just a little more Water, but I'm doing pretty good. Oddly, I don't like water with drop-ins anymore, just plain water tastes better.

Brian's doing ok. He goes back to Dr. Kaplan tomorrow then he's hoping to go back to work. It's been since March 18th. He's hoping that he gets his staples out and his drains out too. But I'm guessing he's not getting drains out, he's still having drainage *blech* But having stuff dangling off him is getting kinda hard. Willow (our two year old) doesn't understand why she can't play with daddy like she normally used to. And I'm afraid I'm going to roll over on something hanging off him in the middle of the night LOL so we have a pillow fort right now.

OK, one more question...when do I get energy back?

I was tired a lot longer than I expecte to be and you certainly have a lot more on your plate than I did. Don't worry it does go away though....just when I thought it wasn't gonna get better I felt better than ever.....good luck hun give hubby hugs and be sure to give yourself a really big one

Elizabeth

All the sudden I'm having trouble with all chicken all red meats no matter how tender they are. I don't understand why suddenly all the PB from foods that were usually ok. Seems like my list of no nos is bigger than my list of yes's. Right now I'm living on Beans to get the Protein in and not PB. My weight loss stalled 2 weeks after my first fill. I don't know what I'm doing wrong I have restriction but I read on here where people eat 2 ounces and I don't have that I have like4-5 something like that when it comes to the beans. I know they are a slider food but they do stay with me longre than I expected and I'm not having to eat extra so totally clueless at the moment........

Jennifer, I dont think the needle is 10 inches although it is pretty long. You will lay on the table so you really wont even see it. He will feel around for the port. You will probably have to do a sit up or 2 and then hold it while he accesses the port, that is the killer. You feel muscles you didnt know you had. The fills are not as bad as I pictured them to be. Just relax. He will numb you so you really dont feel too much either. You will be fine. :rolleyes:

Saundra, I too have trouble with meats. Mom can not eat red meats much at all. What I do is make sure I have plently of Ranch or ketchup or something like that to wet it down. Take TINY bites and chew chew chew. I may only get a few bites in but at least I know Im getting them in. Make sure you eat slow and listen to you body. The moment you start feeling the pressure STOP dont try to push it. When was your last fill? Have you felt like this since then? Are you able to eat other solids? Meats are harder to get down and then I find myself going to the carbs which is not good. I am at a stand still with my weight for the reason. I have been the same weight for 3 weeks now. But I know it is because Im hitting more carbs then I should. Just be careful, eat slow, chew chew chew, and make sure it is moist. Something that also helps instead of taking a drink, take a little bite of applesauce and helps put some moisture in there. If you continue to have trouble and are not getting your Proteins in, you may need an unfill.

Good luck