Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To fill or not to fill-that is my questions.

I am losing weight right now (about 15 lbs in the last month), and I do have restriction, but I can still eat a full size meal without any problems.

My PA that does my fills has warned me that I shouldn't be eating more then 1/2-1 cup per meal, but I think I would still be hungry if I limited to that, and I most certainly wouldn't feel satisfied. She has warned me that eating more may cause the band to slip.

There are no foods that I have found that I cannot eat at all. I did have bread get stuck once and had to bring it back up when I ate a sandwich too fast.

Ever since that painful experience with the bread I've been afraid to get a fill and find out what it really means to have restriction.

I'm stuck between the desire to increase my weight loss by attaining the "sweet spot" and being afraid that I will hurt myself if I have more restriction then I do now because I am now so used to getting away with eating anything. Some of the stories I've heard about sliming, pb's, stuck food etc are freaking me out.

I'm wondering when others choose to go for fills.

For those who are familiar with my posts, I know I sound like a broken record, but it is a message that needs to be heard.

If you're losing weight, able to eat a good sized portion of food and you don't have things get stuck, why would you want your band to be tighter? I know you've been warned with the whole band-slipping thing. I have worried about that as well, but I think as long as I'm not eating until I'm uncomfortably full, I'll be fine.

I've been able to eat what I'd consider a full meal, with a 1/2 to 1 chicken breast, or a fillet of tilapia, and a serving of veggies and a small salad. I wondered if I should be eating that much, but honestly it was what I needed to be satisfied and I wasn't eating past being full. (I know there's probably a whole range of deciding when you're full, but I wasn't eating until extremely full.) I was certainly eating more than 1/2 cup of food.

We seem to get it into our heads that a chicken nugget should make us feel like we just ate a huge feast. Well, I don't know about you, but 1/3 of what I eat in a day better be more than something the size of a chicken nugget or I'm not getting enough food for my body.

My advice is to make sure you're making good choices about what to eat, eat until comfortably full, and if that keeps you losing weight, then you're in a pretty sweet spot! Don't mess with a good thing. Being tighter doesn't always net a better weight loss. Fewer calories can result in a slow-down of your weight loss.

Just because you have the band doesn't mean you need to suffer through pbs, sliming, vomiting, GURD, etc. Those can happen when we're not careful in our eating, but if you're being careful, none of those things need ever happen. If they do, frequently, then that person is likely overfilled.

Good luck in your decision.

To answer that last question, I decided it was time for a fill when in between meals, my mind started drifting more and more to food and I was "seeking out" food (in between meals) more than usual. "Seeking out food" is a term that I've heard used in conjunction with knowing if you're needing a fill. Also, even after I was full from eating, I would still be thinking about food, and what I could eat next, etc. So that was a lack of satiety bothering me as well.

I just don't think that being able to eat more than you thought you should by itself should be a reason to get a fill. There are reasons to get fills, like not losing weight anymore, lack of satiety, more interest in sweets, etc., as well as others I'm sure I'm not thinking of. Hopefully others will give input as well.

I've lost 15 lbs since I had my first fill (7/29). I think in a month that's pretty good. I was told 1 or 2 lbs per week, so I'm a little over that. I still have good restriction. I'm able to eat more that a cup in each meal. I'm a little concern about the last week, I didn't loose any weight at all, not even half a pound!

I think I haven't been eating the right foods, the ones with high Protein. Also I haven't been drinking much Water. That's what I'm going to be working on next week, getting enough protein and plenty of water.

We all need to remember that the band in only a tool to help us achieve our goal!!!!:rolleyes:!

Shinyhappymommy what a GREAT reply! Honest and very informative. I'm glad to hear your post; and I think you are exactly right. I hope to remember your good advice when I'm wondering if I need a fill or not.

I agree; I want to eat less and lose but not have to PB frequently. The thought slightly horrifies me!

Thanks for the response... that is kind of what I was thinking. I wasn't wanting to get a fill until I stopped losing weight again, mainly because I didn't want to create a situation where I was having all those side effects.

So many people with the band talk about the inability to eat bread and Pasta like it is a good thing, and I really would prefer to be able to eat those things at times.

I tend to agree with SHM in that if I am not overfull after a meal and do not have food coming back up and I am not in pain, why would eating more then a cup of food cause slippage?? Every time I go in for a fill I get the 3rd degree about how much I am eating and a lecture if I try to be honest and say I'm eating more then a cup and taking less then 30 minutes per meal. It just makes me want to be less then truthful with them.

SHM, I agree! Thanks for your post. I love these forums! :biggrin:

To fill or not to fill? I had the same situation just last week. I was still losing pretty good but started having the issue of "seeking food" between meals or just plain getting hungry faster. I was a little confused because I was losing the weight. I went in to talk to my doctor and he noted that yes I was losing weight steady but asked of my hunger.

After discussing the being to tight issue and the hunger issue he went ahead and gave me a small fill, 2/10 of a cc. I am amazed at the results! 2/10 is nothing but WOW I could really tell a difference. I feel comfortable and the hunger issue is no more.