Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Are We Ready For A Woman VP?

Are We Ready For A Woman VP?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Are We Ready For A Woman VP?

• Yes!
    • No!
    • I don't care.

Have you ever visited Washington DC? It's been many years ago that I did but was amazed at the fact that most of the reps don't vote or, if they vote, aren't present when the speeches are made giving the facts on the issue! I felt quite disillusioned after that visit. It SEEMED to make it apparent that the information wasn't important. The rep would breeze in and vote and leave.

Maybe I misunderstood, but I don't think so.

~~anne

Have you ever visited Washington DC? It's been many years ago that I did but was amazed at the fact that most of the reps don't vote or, if they vote, aren't present when the speeches are made giving the facts on the issue! I felt quite disillusioned after that visit. It SEEMED to make it apparent that the information wasn't important. The rep would breeze in and vote and leave.

Maybe I misunderstood, but I don't think so.

~~anne

You didn't misunderstand. I was a Political Science major in college and took a course from a former Congressman. His first words were, "To be a successful politician, avoid taking a stand as often as possible. If you do have to take a stand, always be prepared to tell the other side why you had to take that stand but you really don't believe it." Sad words, indeed.

Most people don't know that members of Congress have editorial control over the Congressional Record. They can delete things they actually said, or put a whole speech in there that they never uttered a word of. Then they can send out to their constituents, at the taxpayers' expense, a copy of their inspiring "speech" that they "delivered" before Congress.

McCain has the same NV on the issues too except the stimulus pkg.

I've been trying to find a tally of Obama's NV's in comparison to the "average" senator's (other than the obvious option of tallying up a few of them myself, which I haven't had the time/energy to do just yet). It is my understanding that Obama is singularly known for his lack of votes in both the Illinois Senate and the US Senate, but I would like to run the numbers (or find someone who has) to see for myself if this claim is skewed or not. I've read it in so many places that I tend to think it isn't skewed, but I haven't seen actual hard numbers to evaluate the claim.

I've been trying to find a tally of Obama's NV's in comparison to the "average" senator's (other than the obvious option of tallying up a few of them myself, which I haven't had the time/energy to do just yet). It is my understanding that Obama is singularly known for his lack of votes in both the Illinois Senate and the US Senate, but I would like to run the numbers (or find someone who has) to see for myself if this claim is skewed or not. I've read it in so many places that I tend to think it isn't skewed, but I haven't seen actual hard numbers to evaluate the claim.

It seems like you have been putting ALL of your time and energy into trying to get your point across about Obama. Ok, you are definitely intitled to your opinion and to spend all your time the way you choose. I give you credit for that, although our views are different.

Today is my last day of being able to spend so much time on this and my computer. I go back to work tomorrow and my kids go back to school. The routine will be welcomed. The "View" is on now and they are discussing the election and the candidates. It is interesting, reminds me of our discussions right here. If anyone sees it, let me know your feelings.

Have a great day, ladies! :tt2:

Obviously Palin thought it was our business...because she is the one who announced it to the news. If she didn't want people to judge her for that maybe she shouldn't have said it.

Obviously Palin thought it was our business...because she is the one who announced it to the news. If she didn't want people to judge her for that maybe she shouldn't have said it.

Froggi - someone on the web was saying that the baby wasn't her's but her daughters baby - that's how this all got started. The party had to but the truth out there - McCain knew all this when he picked her.

What are they going to judge Palin about - cuz her daughter got pg ??

Come on you aren't to far out of your teens yourself - did you do what your mommy told you to do....

For me it's been quite a few years since I was a teen and can tell you I did what I wanted to do not what my parents said..

I don't think Palin's daughter being pregnant should have anything to do with the election. You can't always control your teen. Besides, nobody worried about Bill Clinton's action with Monica. What about the Kennedy scandles. Hell, they keep going on and on and on. I'm sure Palin broke the news about her daughter to be open and not have a skeleton in her closet. I do have to question about the rumor that Obama may not be an american citizen? Not natural born to the USA? I thought that was one of the requirements. Gives you food for thought.

I don't think Palin's daughter being pregnant should have anything to do with the election. You can't always control your teen. Besides, nobody worried about Bill Clinton's action with Monica. What about the Kennedy scandles. Hell, they keep going on and on and on. I'm sure Palin broke the news about her daughter to be open and not have a skeleton in her closet. I do have to question about the rumor that Obama may not be an american citizen? Not natural born to the USA? I thought that was one of the requirements. Gives you food for thought.

Theres your answer...

Presidential candidates do, rightly or wrongly, get judged by the behaviour of their immediate families and Palin knows that her daughter's teenage pregnancy will be dragged through the mud during this election. I say that Alaska has long dark winters and there likely ain't a lot to do up there except make your own whoopee. Hence the kid's pregnancy. I believe her parents will be supportive of her and that is a good thing.

No I didn't do what my mom said. I was told not to have relationships etc/not to have sex. I had sex but I used protection. But I wasn't very comfortable with my body I was over 300 lbs. I'm sure I would have been worse off if I was at a healthy weight.

I saw her daughter carry the baby out...but I knew it was palin's 4 month old son. Considering she just had a baby in april and the fact that she said her 4 kids were with her besides her son who was away for training for Iraq.

What are they going to judge Palin about - cuz her daughter got pg ??

Good question. It really pisses me off when people judge others because of unintended pregnancies. Because really, that's just a visual consequence of a behavior (pre-marital sex, whether protected or unprotected -- face it, birth control does fail!) that a lot of people don't seem to have a problem with. Who knows whether, for example, Chelsea Clinton has ever been pregnant? Well, the public sure doesn't, simply because if she has, she could have aborted the baby. So in reality, what Palin's daughter is being judged for is . . . having sex? Furthermore, the mother of the baby always gets the brunt of the judgment, while the father is left relatively unscathed in the public eye. :)

I do have to question about the rumor that Obama may not be an american citizen? Not natural born to the USA? I thought that was one of the requirements.

I've heard this was pretty much a red herring. I didn't pay much attention to the rumor so I didn't pay much attention to the response to the rumor, but I'm sure if there were a constitutional issue I'm sure it would have come much further than a rumor at this point.

Good question. It really pisses me off when people judge others because of unintended pregnancies. Because really, that's just a visual consequence of a behavior (pre-marital sex, whether protected or unprotected -- face it, birth control does fail!) that a lot of people don't seem to have a problem with. Who knows whether, for example, Chelsea Clinton has ever been pregnant? Well, the public sure doesn't, simply because if she has, she could have aborted the baby. So in reality, what Palin's daughter is being judged for is . . . having sex? Furthermore, the mother of the baby always gets the brunt of the judgment, while the father is left relatively unscathed in the public eye. :)

Yes, the burden of reproduction really is assymetrical. The male contributes five minutes and a little bit of sperm and the female is on the hook for the rest of it. And the male is left relatively unscathed unless he is running for President and the pregnant woman is not his lawful wife. lol

Birth control can fail. My one pregnancy, at the age of 33, was the result of a failure of birth control. Though I am a pro-choice grrl, I feel that it would be wrong for Palin's daughter and her pregnancy to be dragged through the media mud. Pregnancy is something which can easily happen to any young woman. We are hardwired to mate. She is now pregnant. It is, perhaps, a messy matter given her youth, that she is not married, etc but it is a family matter, not one for national concern. This is what I think.

Obama's mother was a US citizen.

But, interesting to note, Obama's dad was married and had kids in Indonesia (not sure on the country, but it was out of the US), met Obama's mom and got her pregnant...went off to school somewhere else and got someone ELSE pregnant and then went back to his wife in Indonesia. He didn't know his father very well and was raised by white family. Yet, today you wouldn't think he had an ounce of white blood in him. (I heard this discussion on talk radio yesterday, as they were discussing his book). This has nothing to do on whether or not he would be a good president, just interesting.

As far as Palin's daughter, well, my 17 year old son got in trouble with school. I guess I should just quit my job as a nurse and forget that promotion I was putting in for.:)

It is funny to hear democrats say she should stay home with her kids. Liberals are called "liberal" for a reason! Are they all listening to "Dr. Laura" now??? (They are sounding more Conservative every minute!!)

(Sorry, I have been up for 36 hours and I am just rambling on....:blushing:)

Edited by JWRN

It is funny to hear democrats say she should stay home with her kids. Liberals are called "liberal" for a reason! Are they all listening to "Dr. Laura" now??? (They are sounding more Conservative every minute!!)

I completely agree with you. I'm astounded that liberals' arguments are basically sounding like they believe she should be a SAHM. Palin is a member of Feminists for Life. I think she's going to be able to handle all of this in stride.