Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I, like you, didn't know what that was either. It's when you get sick, throw-up, spit up. What ever anyone wants to call it.

ok, but why "PB"? I'm sure that stands for something.....

In my experience, I have a PB when I eat something that just doesn't sit right and I feel like I have to burp. However, instead of just burping, the air bubble pushes the last bite of food up and out. It's fairly gross.

Banded: 1-21-08

beginning wt: 337

surgery wt: 297

current wt: 239

goal wt: 150

Yes like others explained it means Productive Burp-It is when your stomach forces the food back up because either you didn't chew it well, ate too fast or you ate too much. You burp the food back up, it is not exactly like throwing up in that there is no stomach acid it is just your food in the same form as when it went down. I have been unable to burp since before the surgery so it is not actually a "burp" for me, I feel the sensation like I need to burp and then it is more like a gag then the food comes up.

Guest abs-of-steel

Jodi's explanation is right. The only thing I will add is that the food will also have a lot of saliva with it. Giving it a very slimy appearance, some people call it "slimeing". When I have something get 'stuck', I usually notice excessive saliva first. Then I might get the hickups. You might also hear people say "the foamies", I think it is because the hickups bring more air into your tummy and shakes it all up. I get this feeling of a lump in my lower throat/chest area. I see if I can wait it out, but as your saliva adds up, it puts more pressure in there too. When I just know it ain't gonna pass, I head to the potty. PB'ing or whatever you want to call it, is like straining to vomit, just no stomach acid involved. Just food and saliva. OH, and another thing, I do not recommend trying to wash down somthing that is "stuck", the liquid just adds to the pressure and it will come back up too. Hope this helps!

Yes thanks! and, um, ewwww!

LOL

I have to remember to chew chew chew...eat slow slow slow, pay attention...

and I know this will still happen to me. I hope I have a really quick learning curve, it sounds painful and actually a little scary!

Actually being stuck is a lot more painful than a pb. You want to avoid pb's but they are not terrible and absolutely nothing like vomitting thank goodness.

You know, it amazes me that people think this is the "easy way" out of obesity. ???

I just had my first stuck incident. It was very painful for short periods of time followed by "slimeing" and the inevitable throwing up. I wouldn't call mine PBing because it was more like throwing up but like everyone says it's not stomach acid just undigested food and excessively thick saliva. YUK. I don't recommend it! But---I'll bet I'll be much more thoughtful while eating from now on.

After reading all about these stuck episodes and PBing, I was a bit apprehensive about having this happen to me as well. Being stuck is no fun, which I have come to learn.. I am learning to eat slower, and smaller bites with a whole lot more chewing, but I get reminders whenever I forget and don't do a great job of this.

However gross it sounds, the slime.. or excess saliva is just our body's way of finding a solution to the situation of being stuck. At least there is no stomach acid to burn your esophagus. I was awed by the amount of slime I produced, and after throwing it up, felt the need to share this new experience with my husband, who didn't share my awe and enthusiasm. Heeehee! (Don't try this... there are definately some things people really don't want to share with you:rolleyes2:)

After reading all about these stuck episodes and PBing, I was a bit apprehensive about having this happen to me as well. Being stuck is no fun, which I have come to learn.. I am learning to eat slower, and smaller bites with a whole lot more chewing, but I get reminders whenever I forget and don't do a great job of this.

However gross it sounds, the slime.. or excess saliva is just our body's way of finding a solution to the situation of being stuck. At least there is no stomach acid to burn your esophagus. I was awed by the amount of slime I produced, and after throwing it up, felt the need to share this new experience with my husband, who didn't share my awe and enthusiasm. Heeehee! (Don't try this... there are definately some things people really don't want to share with you:rolleyes2:)

So I am really the exact same way as you. I was fasinated about it and shocked at how much I produced. My boyfriend was not as amazed as I was. Thats crazy.

Good for you for being more aware.