Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What are the symptoms of erosion?

I'm wondering what the symptoms of erosion are. I was banded in June 2007, and initially was doing great. Weight loss was at a steady pace and had about 2.5cc fill in my 4cc band. Then all of a sudden things got crazy....I started having a terrible time keeping anything down. After 2 upper GI's, the doc felt my band hadnt slipped, so he withdrew all my fill to give me a bit of rest, and I felt wonderful. Now I have .5 cc fill, havent lost any weight in about 4 months, and have days where I cant keep anything down. It's crap shoot...one day I can eat a certain food...and the next I cant. The wierdest thing is the total stoppage of weight loss.

To say I'm discouraged is an understatement. I just cant figure out what is going on....I'd love to know if anyone else has experienced this, and if it's a sign of a possible erosion. Thanks...

I am not educated on the subject at all. I had problems eating all of the sudden after no fill for a very long time. I just got all kinds of x-rays hours ago. My band has not slipped. They also took all my saline out (5ccs). I am DEVASTATED just worrying that I may have erosion. It's the worst thing to me because if I do, my lap-band will be removed and never put back in.

The only way they can tell is with a CAT scan. I have an appointment for one on Thursday. I am not looking forward to drinking two bottles of dye they gave me to drink either.

I will be EXTREMELY upset if I have erosion. Sorry I can't tell you much, I just found out everything hours ago.

How did you make out with your CAT scan? Do you have a slipped band or erosion? I hope you dont, but it will be good to find out what is causing your/our symptoms.

The short story:

I haven't been able to get a CT scan yet.

The long story:

Oh gosh. It's ridiculous. Well, on Thursday I went in to get the CT scan. They said on the phone they'd give me some barium that is easier to drink if I come in 2 hours before my appointment. I did, drank the stuff, and it tasted JUST like Water. I get in the bed to be scanned, and she says "oh no!" a few times. Well, she was looking at my paperwork, and she had seen I got an upper GI 2 days before. Well, that makes them unable to see anything in a CT scan because of the different kind of barium I drank for the upper GI. :) She said maybe it had moved through me quickly since I am young. She tested it, and the CT scan couldn't see what it needed to.

Soo... my surgeons office made a huge deal out of getting one ASAP. They called all the hospitals to find an appointment. I had one on Saturday (yesterday), and I was told to drink some magnesium citrate to clean me out. I drank it and went to the bathroom about 5 or 6 times in 24 hours. It wasn't horrible, but I have read it is for some people. It tasted bad, but I am a huge baby with bad tastes, and I was able to keep it down, and I never felt like I had to sit on the toilet that second or I'd go in my pants, but anyone who takes it should stay at home. Stuff doesn't exactly "move through me" as well anymore after the surgery, but I thought that would do the trick.

I went to my appointment on Saturday and asked for a test scan before they made me drink stuff and wait. Well... they still could not see anything :) She said it's all still in my bowels.

The tech who did the scan said they reccommend to wait 4 days, but she's seen it stay in people up to a month. Yeah, broad range.

I am so mad I got the upper GI first. I have to call my surgeons office tomorrow morning (Monday) and tell them, if they don't call me first. I have an appointment with my surgeon at 10am tomorrow too. I don't know what they will tell me or have me do.

I wish I could have an answer for myself, and maybe tell you what I found out since eating got harder for us both. Have you talked to your doc yet, or are you going to try to? Make sure you say something about the upper GI before you get a CT scan so they can test you. I think your's was a while ago though???? Make sure if they want to give you both that you do the CT scan first. I found out the hard way.

Hello,

I was reading your posting on the site about the CT Scan. What was the outcome of your procedure? I am curious in case I run into a situation simliar to yours. I had my upper GI last week because I was vomiting too much. But I am interested to know if your band eroded. I am hoping that your better now and that all is working well for you in comparison.

Would love to hear from you about your outcome.

Warmest regards...

HI, i know you posted this a couple of weeks ago,but i'm just signing in after being off for a while. I seem to have the same problem you do. I was banded in Jan 07. I kept 2 cc for about 8-9 months, then all the suddden i would wake up at night gagging. Milk would actually curdle in the band overnight ( yeah i know too much information). I think stress may cause the band to get tighter, or actually the top of your stomach near the esophagus where the band is wrapped. I finally had fill taken out and gained about 25 ibs. After getting fill put back in, i seem to have a slow leak. I recently got a fill hoping it would stay in. I have 2cc and can't keep anything down. I'm miserable, but don't want to get any out. I'm scared i may have trouble with my esophagus too. How are you doing?

So I guess i also need to know symptoms of erosion, and can it effect your fills?

The Physicians Assistant was the one I saw. She is the one that wanted the tests. I went to the appointment with my surgeon, and he said he doesn't even want me to get a CT scan. I would feel better getting one, but oh well. He is going to fill me back up slowly. With my band completely empty, I have no problems eating. He said if I have problems again he will stick a scope down my throat. I wish he'd still let me get the scan.

mariee,

So I guess you don't know much more now. Did any of the tests conclude your esophogus was okay? I was banded in Mexico, so it is not real easy for me to get in and see just any Doc. Its only a 6 hour drive,so I plan on going soon and figure out what is going on. Mean while I have lost about 10 lbs in a week because not much goes down. I stay hydrated, but still thirsty. It is a crap shoot as someone else mentioned. One night salad is great, the next night it comes up. I guess its the price we pay for going this route. Its not an exact science. Our bodies do strange things. Please keep up posted how you are doing. And anyone else experiencing these problems please email.Thanks

Janed