Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone who said this doesn't hurt=lies!

I, too, had minimal pain after surgery. This was my first surgery so I had no idea what to expect. The first 24 hours I took the paid meds because I figured I needed them, but then the side effects from the meds were more bothersome than the pain so I stopped taking them.

The gas pain was uncomfortable for about 5 days, but I wouldn't classify it as painful. And, of course, I had soreness in the port incision for a few weeks but nothing unbearable. Couldn't side sleep for few weeks.

The others who've said everyone's experience and pain tolerance are vastly different are exactly right. Sorry for those of you who've had a less than pleasant post-surgery experience, but don't assume the rest of us are "lying."

I only took the pain meds for the first two days. But, going from a sitting or lying down position to an upright one hurt like crazy for about two weeks. And I typically have a very high pain tolerance level.

I am sorry if I offended anyone. I didn't assume anyone in particular was a lier. I was simply saying that you usually don't hear any negative responses to this surgery. And after the pain I am going through right now, I wouldn't want any one else to be blind sided. I am happy for those who didn't hurt, and I wish I could say the same. But as for those of us who did...the "soon-to-be" bandsters have a right to know all the possible outcomes. It is comforting to hear however that I was not the only one. Thanks for all the support. I did have two cesarians prior to this...and this was no comparision.

Some people tolerate pain others as wimps like me :)

For me, I had gall bladder surgery last year. It was a breeze .... surgery on Thursday, no pain and back to work with no problems what-so-ever on Monday.

On the other hand, the lapband surgery was quite different. Getting in and out of chairs was a real challenge, slept in the recliner for a week because getting in and out of bed was impossible. Took only liquid Tylenol during the day, then the pain med at night to knock me out! It was a full 7 days before I could manage to sleep in my bed. Maybe I'm a big baby!! :-)

And I couldn't be happier ........ !!

i think everyone tolerates pain differently....

while i never had any surgery or endured childbirth, i thought i had a pretty high tolerance for pain. i decided beforehand to spend the night in the hospital and i'm glad i did.

i thought i'd be fine after surgery though. i brought books and my ipod to keep me from being bored. i brought my pajamas so i'd be comfortable. i brought my hair dryer and curling Iron for after i took a shower the next morning.

i was in SO much pain that i made sure i stayed drugged the entire time i was in the hospital as well as the way home. i never opened my book or listened to my ipod. i was in so much pain that trying to get out of my hospital gown and into my pj's just wasn't worth the comfort. the next morning i just pulled my hair in a ponytail and said "screw the shower and washing my hair".

the worst part of the whole ordeal was getting in and out of bed... learning how to roll over to get up instead of sitting up at the waist. the first 2 days were painful and i took all the drugs they gave me and i'm not ashamed to admit that.

after 2 days i felt MUCH better!

Some people tolerate pain others as wimps like me :)

I don't think anyone said that.

i think everyone tolerates pain differently....

while i never had any surgery or endured childbirth, i thought i had a pretty high tolerance for pain.

I wonder if that is the difference. If the people who have had babies, and gone through other major surgeries found it easier to deal with than people who hadn't.

I know for my money, compared to two induced hard, fast labours, and a couple of fairly invasive surgeries the band was a breeze. My Tummy Tuck, while I was fairly uncomfortable, I wasn't in major pain, slept in my own bed from the day I got out of hospital, took only panadol for pain, and recovered within a couple of weeks. Then last month, after a tube shortening surgery (that required to the use of a probe and the opening of my port site scar) I felt little to no pain at all. I didn't take anything at all for the pain.

So it's not like it has been so long that I have forotten what the pain (or lack of) was like.

I just find posts like the OP's alarmist. If one looks, there are plenty of posts with people who say they had losts of pain post op.

Those were my exact thoughts for the entire 8 days after surgery!!! i couldn't believe i only scheduled 1 1/2 wks off of work and it took me 8 days to be able to breathe without pain and 9 days before i could lay down and breathe at the same time... i slept sitting up for 8 nights .. that was miserable!! if ANYONE tells any of you that it is easy or a breeze, it's B.S.!!!!! They are crazy for saying that. hang in there and you will feel better eventually. I have been there and can sympathize completely with what you're going thru.

Those were my exact thoughts for the entire 8 days after surgery!!! i couldn't believe i only scheduled 1 1/2 wks off of work and it took me 8 days to be able to breathe without pain and 9 days before i could lay down and breathe at the same time... i slept sitting up for 8 nights .. that was miserable!! if ANYONE tells any of you that it is easy or a breeze, it's B.S.!!!!! They are crazy for saying that. hang in there and you will feel better eventually. I have been there and can sympathize completely with what you're going thru.

I had a similar experience to you, I have been finding it very difficult to breathe when lying down, so I have to sleep propped up. I thought the procedure might be easy for someone like me in my early 20's but no, it's been very painfull, its only been today that I have been able to get up without curling over in pain.

I read alot of comments on the forum about people being fine the day after surgery and doing normal tasks, and I just find that very interesting as I could barely sit up let alone walk around.

So glad so many of you came through this with minimal pain, I think I had blinders on and assumed I'd be like you and not like the few who said they had a lot of pain, but boy was I wrong.

I was banded tuesday and now on saturday I'm still taking vicodin every 4 hours and in lots of pain. As far as catagorizing it my worst pain has been...

1. Migraine headache that I thought I literally wouldn't survive in 1993

2. Lap band surgery

3. Childbirth times 4

4. Hysterectomy

So I don't think it's from not having anything to compare it to. I think some of us just get lucky and have the right combination of circumstances and physical make up to come through it with minimal pain, and some of us don't. I'm sure looking forward to a week from now when hopefully this will all be bearable!

I really had very little pain, but then my surgeon put in a pain pump that was in for 3 days and I didn't get on an airplane either. I was also up walking the minute I got up to my room -- didn't even lay down just got up and walked the halls.

I did sleep in a recliner for about 10 days as laying down was uncomfortable.

Different people react differently, to say we're lying would be the same as us saying you are lying about the pain.

And for the record, I am male so never had babies and I had not had surgery in the last 48 years (had my tonsils out when I was 4)

so no, thats not the difference.

Edited by mnn2501

Sorry .... can't resist! And I say this tongue in cheek ....

A PAIN PUMP!!!????

Were any of us women given a pain pump for 3 days!!

Again ..... I'm just saying this tongue in cheek! Congrats on your surgery, just as in "blonde jokes" I like to occasinally throw in some "man humor".

I was banded 7/29 and had to stay an extra night at the hospital because I was sooo sick, I could have never ever got on an airplane after that surgery.! I am 19 days out and feel lots of energy now. By the 4th day after surgery I was feeling a little better, the gas pains were horrible and I had a very hard time sleeping even with the pain meds. And i would do it all over again! i could not lose 1 pound, no control over food at all, I lost 50 lbs when I was twenty and gained it all back within 6 months! You will feel better, and empowered! Now I am feeling hunger, my fill is not for another 4 weeks, so now I have to kick in and do the work! I thought the liquid part was easy, you dont have to choose the foods to eat, that is a huge problem for me, I am writing it all done, being honest with myself, I already have slipped up twice, making the right decision is something you have to be in the present to do!

I'm the biggest baby going when it comes to pain!! I tried "waxing strips" on my legs & gave up on the first strip, cos I couldn't take the pain! Thats how bad I am & I can honestly say I was fine from the op! Yes, a little uncomfortable when I sat down/stood up & could feel the port when I bent over (which more grossed me out than hurt!)

The first night in hospital, I had soluble painkillers, but taking them was worse than any discomfort (they never dissolved properly & were really bitter!) so I gave them up the day I got home. I was more tired than usual & if I did too much walking, I got that heavy, dragging feeling in the bottom of my stomach (a bit like strong period pain) but I was shopping 2 days post-op! Getting in & out of bed wasn't too much fun but only cos I didn't want to pull on the new wounds & I couldn't sleep on my side/stomach for the first couple of nights! But I wasn't ever in pain! And I haven't had any kids, either, so I'm not trying to make comparisons with childbirth or anything. I had a pilonidal sinus about 10 years ago & ended up on gas & air when they tried to change the packing in the wound! Now, thats pain.......!!

Sorry to hear that some of you have suffered, but to think we're covering something up from potential new bandsters isn't true at all. Everyone is different & I'm glad to say that my surgeon must be one of the best, cos I didn't suffer from any gas or shoulder pains at all! Not once! And I'm the person who, if anything can go wrong, it will go wrong for me!

So any "soon to be" bandsters out there, lets hope you are more like me than the "op". Good luck!