Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

loosing weight

Guest Bobbye1948

Guest Bobbye1948

Well I am having so much trouble. I have been approved by my insurance to have the surgery. I went to the meetings and both the pshyc and nutritional meetings.

I need to lose 20 lbs to have the surgery. I am having such a problem with the weight loss.I have tried everything I can think of. The nutritionist gave me a diet to follow and it really hasnt worked. I continued going to weight watchers also. Have now had to quit because of finances. Then in the process I have developed so many different problems. First I had a traveling rash which my family dr and dematologist have not found out what is causing this. First they thought it was scabies and then foloculitis. Now they say they are not sure. It travels from my arms, then goes away, then back, goes away, legs, goes way. I am not sure but it might be nerves.

Then on top of it I have now got a staph infection on my hip. It is so painful. It has zapped all my energy.

I am my husbands caretaker and he is going to pain management which is time consuming. He also has brain trauma damage so taking care of him is not easy.

I am 60 years old and starting to get depressed. The girl I am supposed to contact about loosing my weight doesnt answer my emails (I was told emailing was the best way to contact her) I am having a terrible time here.

The support meeting are a 60 mile round trip for me and gas prices are a real issue for us. I just dont know what to do. I feel like I am never going to be able to have this surgery. I was so looking forward to loosing my weight.

Any idea's for me?

Strange, when I lived in Hawaii, I started with a staph infection I picked up working in a restaurant, then they treated me for 6 months with bottles for scabies, then they decided I had foliculitis too. Odd coincidence. My skin is still not completely normal, but Iv always had sensistive skin.

I know to lose weight I had to do a low gi type diet, where my insulin isnt peaking and falling. I went to the library and got free books on low gi eating, there are some really good ones and also on southbeach which is a low gi type diet. I honestly thought I couldnt lose because I wasnt losing on any other diet, but I lost over 80 lbs on eating low gi, but put it all back on :) (hence the need for lapband now).

Iv lost over the 20 lbs you need to lose and Im almost your age with sugar and insulin issues which make losing much harder. You may not be able to lose on a diet which counts calories like weight watchers. I lost some weight before my surgery and had a easy surgery and have no restriction at all, I can eat anything, but I am walking a lot. Can you walk?? You could spur your metabolism by walking, even if you do it in your living room with leslie's walk at home tapes.

We know you can do it. We are here to keep you on tract so you can lose those 20 lbs and get the surgery scheduled. I finally get my first fill tomorrow, but have no clue if it will give me some restriction and make dieting easier or not, Im doing it with will power up until now.

I'm so sorry you are having such a hard time, I can relate with struggling to lose the required amount though.. If its any help I read some posts today from someone who kept hitting plateaus and they just change up their diet a little, and exercise routine every few weeks and it seems to work for them.. I talked with my nutr. today and told her my issues and we decided I need to eat something more between lunch and dinner so as not to go into hunger mode which could cause me to eat the wrong things,, or overeat.

You could be right about the rash being from stress,, I have been known to have had that happen, or it could just be a virus making its way through your body.. I think its called endoviris?? which causes multiple symptoms or issues to come up consequtively,, like rashes, sinus infections, and maybey even the staff infection?? I had one in 05/06 for 4 months.. I finally got a massive dose of antibiotics because the sinus infection spread to my lymph nodes and it went away.. I was up for a hysterectomy and it almost got cancelled.. in my case it could have been stress also that started the whole mess at the time..

I don't know whether this helped, but will keep you in my thoughts

Guest Bobbye1948

I want to thank Flowers and Wickedme for replying to my post. I didnt think anyone would reply. I guess that is the depression setting in. I also have a family dr. who is not crazy about my decision to have the lap band surgery even though he has not read anything aabout them since the 1980's. I tell you I am almost at my wits end........I am going to look up the lower GI type diets and try it. I am also going to get a walking tape. We live in a rural area and land is not at all flat for walking. I usually try to go to our senior center 2 times a week to excercise but it is 20 miles one way from here. I feel a little more motivated and am going to try again. Thanks friends.

low gi diets, the gi stands for glycemic (sp?) index. Its based on sugar being 100, and how long it takes to digest the food. The lowest food is no sugar or artifically sweetened yogurt, and cottage cheese is good. You can have two 100 calories Protein or low fat dairy Snacks a day, look at the labels for the highest protein varieties. I eat lots of fish. Im struggling to lose too, and need to do all I can to help it along. Foods that take longer to digest go lower and trigger enzymes that make you feel full and more satisfied, hence you are supposed to eat whole grains, Cereal, rice, Pasta etc. Go easy though on carbs, they are a side item and not the main course etc. You can have fruit once a day, but I try to skip the fruit, too much sugar. low gi fruits are apples, stone fruits like peaches and berries.

The roads near my house have angled breakdown lanes so I have to drive to walk somewhere comfortable.. with winter coming I was thinking of getting a walking cd also,, if I find a free site online somewhere I will let you know.. Keep thinking good thoughts!

When I plateaued for 7 months I joined Weight Wathers and followed their core program. I lost 8 lbs in 3.5 weeks. It is high Protein, fruits and vegies. The only carbs you can eat are whole wheat Pasta, cream of wheat, oatmeal, brown rice. You get roughly 3k calories to splurge during the week on whatever you want. I lost 5 lbs my first week. It is really worth looking into. Good luck.

Many of us went on liquid or 'mushy' diets for 2 weeks before surgery, I lost a lot of weight on that.

I gotta leave for now but will post more on this later this weekend, or perhaps someone else will beat me to it.

Edited by mnn2501

Guest Bobbye1948

Many of us went on liquid or 'mushy' diets for 2 weeks before surgery, I lost a lot of weight on that.

I gotta leave for now but will post more on this later this weekend, or perhaps someone else will beat me to it.

I want to thank all of you for replying to my post. I think I have pulled myself out of my depression. I pulled out my books and stuff and thought maybe a new way to loose my shake up my matabilizium (I know I spelled that wrong). I know what I am doing right now is wrong. I want miracles I guess....I need to get my head back in the game and think of me for a change. I have always been the caretaker for someone else and I guess it is time to be the caretaker of me.

Friends thank you for giving me a push in the right direction. I am looking into all kinds of diets right now. Dont really know what to do yet. Keep coming with the idea's. I know as soon as I am able I am going to look for a walking cd. I got to do something. Thanks everyone